Can someone give me a quick rundown on this guy?

Can someone give me a quick rundown on this guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/wittgenstein/
kramersrealname.ytmnd.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

plato.stanford.edu/entries/wittgenstein/

He defers all philosophical problems to problems regarding language and how people place different meanings on certain words and how it eventually becomes a game of abstractions that negate any understanding of real truth. He's a turbo autist.

>He's a turbo autist.
His family is literally The Munsters except they're all autistic instead of monsters.

The easiest (and probably most correct) reading of Wittgenstein is that his work is split into an early period and a late period.

In the early period, he was working out the implications of a sort of logical realist theory of logic. The early period is mostly in debt to Frege and similar figures, who are boring, and bad philosophers. It's also completely misread by all subsequent analytic commentators, who are like degenerate Fregeans smushed together with degenerate Quineans. You shouldn't read the Tractatus at all unless for some bizarre reason you're interested in the epistemology of logic prior to Husserl's genetic turn and Heidegger's ontological turn.

Then he took a break for a while, thought about things, realised Frege is stupid, and moved to his late period, the period of the Philosophical Investigations, On Certainty, Foundations of Mathematics, and Psychology. The basic rundown of this period is the same insight that Husserl began to have in his own early encounters with Frege and the other logicians, that logic is founded in "lived experience," in a lifeworld. The manipulation of "meanings" (through senses, references, propositions, predicates, and so on) that logicians used to describe meaning in a general sense are grounded in lived experience, in a consciousness that is always already immanent within meaning and whose every utterance always presupposes some meaning shared with others.

Therefore, it is faulty thinking to study logical meaning in an atomistic, rigid, implicitly metaphysical way. What you should instead practice is the philosophy of treating all meaning, including philosophical meaning, as lived meaning. Logic can only ever be tautology: It can only ever be a case of taking meanings we already knew and expressing them in arbitrarily formal sub-languages of the living languages that we already speak.

Also, analytic philosophers completely misread his later period, too. So just avoid them altogether. Especially avoid Kripke, who is mentally retarded and an extremely bad philosopher.

Attended school with Hitler, and possibly the target of Hitler's first anti-semitic remark.

So pretty much Kant screwed us over and Wittgenstein was the autist we needed to save us?

Technically speaking, Wittgenstein "ended" philosophy.

Could you name some philosophers read him correctly, especially his later period?

Not that user, but--

honestly, as a reader of Witters, I'd recommend getting into the phenomenologists. Husserl, M-P, Levinas, etc. Wittgenstein later work tends toward (often literally) elliptical meditations that don't usually least anywhere definite-- which makes sense as it's mostly culled from notebooks he circulated himself, or from what was found after he died. And he's always too entangled in the schemas of the logicists. Even if he's tailing against them, they encumber his thinking. The phenomenologists come to many of the same conclusions as W, but greatly expand, refine, and develop on their and other themes.

His book is a quick rundown on himguy.

Thanks user

It's funny, I have almost the opposite opinion of the relationship between Wittgenstein and the phenomenologists, but out of the same basic suspicion that you have, and resulting in the same recommendation.

I think Wittgenstein is useful as a curative against problems or potential problems in the phenomenologists, the same problems that impelled Husserlian phenomenology to transcend neo-Kantianism in the first place. Basically, taking first principles for granted and letting too much of the "natural attitude" seep in. The philosophers themselves would probably have been flexible enough to ameliorate their blind spots, if the latter were pointed out to them, but because we can't do that, we instead get generations of academic epigones quibbling about entities (features or functions of consciousness, e.g.) outlined by Husserl in his work, taking them as the foundation from which to begin philosophizing instead of something to be philosophized away and re-thought when needed.

What I like about Wittgenstein is that he really reminds me of doing philosophy with a hammer - so do Husserl and the rest, but their followers sometimes aren't willing to smash the ground they're standing on. Wittgenstein just refuses to stand on any ground.

tldr for this entire post: When I read Wittgenstein, I get frustrated that he didn't do transcendental philosophy. But when I read the phenomenologists, I get nervous and my butthole tightens up when I sense they've taken some transcendental statement about consciousness for granted as an apodictic foundation on which to erect a castle of further propositions. So, just read both.

He was such an autist that he caused the holocaust to happen

look it up

not a consciousness .

Stanley Cavell, Peter Winch, John Wisdom, (late) Gordon Baker, David Pears, John McDowell, Cora Diamond, James Conant, Ray Monk, Alice Crary, Rupert Read, Juliet Floyd, Hillary Putnam

how?

I'm supposed to study Wittgenstein during my second year of uni, thanks senpaitachi these posts are really good

Where to go after the Tractatus ?

the first period is the spook of axiomatizing and rigour

Rule 1: never listen to people on Veeky Forums that make broad statements about philosophy because they don't know what they're talking about

>Don't know what you're talking about

Cute negation with no counter argument.

Is The Munsters actually a show about being a Jewish family in a Gentile American neighborhood in the 1950s / early 60s?

Thanks a bunch, user. You just saved me the time it would've taken to read all his works.

its meaningless

its all language games bro lol

The Munsters is a show about the Addams family, which was itself a spin-off of Three's Company, a show about Jewish immigrants and their struggles to make it in New York as middle-weight boxers (it's sometimes seen as the inspiration for Married... With Children, but it's actually more akin to Rosanne)

It's true.

He was last seen booed off stage at his own comedy show for shouting the N word repeatedly

kramersrealname.ytmnd.com

All this autistic over-analysis only to end up in a extremely common and trivial conclusion.
Thrilling stuff

>philosophy is about the conclusion

Philosophy is about the journey. Like when you argue about some bullshit for over 2,000 years and don't come up with any real answers. That's what philosophy is about.

No this is degeneracy. Mental masturbation.

>Logic can only ever be tautology: It can only ever be a case of taking meanings we already knew and expressing them in arbitrarily formal sub-languages of the living languages that we already speak.
That kind of reminds me of Spengler...

Welcome to philosophy

>People do bench press because they often encounter situations where they are lying on their back and lift over themselves

Is there a guide of what to read first before getting into the Tractatus?

He made TLP based on a single fallacy upon which he made his entire system, got shamed after he realized what a hack he was and couldn't release another book until PI and even then he was every inch insecure