How do I evolve out of Vonnegut/King/Palahniuk core?

How do I evolve out of Vonnegut/King/Palahniuk core?

I honestly enjoy the majority of their books a lot and don't know how to change it.

You're in the Seyda Neen of literature

Stop trying to perfectly plan your route to the next logical location to proceed to, in a perfectly straight line, after Seyda Neen

Just fucking leave Seyda Neen

Remember to pick up 4 of each flower and mushroom along the way

fuck that drug dealing catboy

Don't change it. Just enjoy what you enjoy. There's no real reason to do otherwise. You can branch out and read different and "harder" things without giving up your enjoyment of those authors. Don't feel pressured by all he patrician/pleb memes here, just have fun with the hobby of reading.

Reading is for enjoyment

That's a terrific analogy. You forget you need to give a Bosmer his ring back, talk to a barbarian, get up on the lighthouse, watch him stash his shit and steal it.

this:
the only thing you have to do is keep reading. Eventually, the average quality of books you gravitate towards will go up little by little.

>How do I stop reading things I enjoy

Good job OP, you're well on your way to becoming a Patrician

no one said read the greeks

Why do you want to change that?
What do you read for?

My suggestion is to read the people who inspired them or other writers that they associate with and see what sticks with you.

just read some russians. dostoevsky is prime material.

you'll eventually run out of Vonnegut/King/Palahniuk

>You're in the Seyda Neen of literature
stopped reading there thanks for the keks tho

You are going to need to go through a tryhard period of intellectual broadening where you begin to read through high school classics at random.

From there you can go one of two ways. You can move backward into a period of forced erudition where you slog through pre-modern classics, hating it most of the time. Or you can migrate towards the sanctioned pseudo-fringes of 20th c. fiction--beats and french existentialists and cult classics and the like. Either way you are going to be very obnoxious, becoming a high culture Philistine or a deep and edgy brooder.

Through from there the way will be paved for you to become an actual fan of literature when you discover modernism and postmodernism, and authors who really challenge you like Joyce and Pynchon. Then you can begin to follow their influences backward and read "the classics" with purpose and relevance. And most fun of all you get to shit on writers like Walrus and DeLillo for not being able to swerve from under Pynchon.

Is reading Ancient Literature interspersed with short easy enough novels an okay plan?

Yes. Choose entertaining or easy ancient literature, like Seneca, Petronius, Marcus Aurelius, Lucian, the Presocratics, Apuleius, etc.

And also my man Suetonius (Twelve Caesars).

Shouldn't I read them in order as per a canon [Bloom's for instance]. I've been doing that with Ancient literature up to now.

I don't think you fully understood my sentence, though. I was asking if it was okay to intersperse said reading of Ancient literature with short easy enough books [such as, say, A man Asleep, Catcher in the Rye, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Atomised, Heart of Darkness etc.]

Also; Does Proust require an understanding of Ancient Literature in order to be understood?

>Shouldn't I read them in order as per a canon
No, it doesn't matter at all. Books, like people, are always encountered in a random order.
If you want to do it in the "true way", you have to learn the language, and the natural order would be to begin with the books that are easy to understand for beginners.

>I was asking if it was okay to intersperse said reading of Ancient literature with short easy enough books
Yes.

>Does Proust require an understanding of Ancient Literature in order to be understood?
You need modern sensibility more than classic erudition.

vonnegut and palahniuk are good tho

why the fuck are people recommending philosophy lmao
this board i swear

stop reading fiction
start with the greeks