Was booze the only reason for his success?

Was booze the only reason for his success?

You forgot cocaine.

and the generally shit taste of the reading public

He's only famous cause he writes a million books every year and a hack is right two times a day.

The booze made him choose whether to write or drink himself to death. Without writing he says:
>Oh, I'd be dead. I would have drunk myself to death or drugged myself to death or committed suicide or some goddamn thing.

Read The Jaunt, it's 30 pages.

Isn't that included in Skeleton Crew?

Read my asshole bitch

Yup he boozed himself to brilliance.

I really hate Stephen King.
If you're going to play up the whole "le alcoholic depressed writer" meme then at least try your hand at writing legitimate literature.
He's gonna play on the public's perception of writers as DEEP while simultaneously churning out formulaic spoooooooky tales of guts 'n hair.

He's either actually retarded or has zero shame.

I can't shit on him too much, because I find alcohol helps and gets me more interested in writing my novel.

Contrarian opinion coming through: he will be regarded as a genius in about 100 years. We're too "used" to him at this point and it's reached saturation.

He writes a lot, talk what you want about him his prose is really weak, but the fucker loves to write and shits out book after book without giving zero shits

This drive is something every writer should look upon to

>Quantity over quality

Whats weird to me about king is that for all his demons he seems to be really shallow and corny

Substance abuse is all about avoiding things, which is another way of saying "being shallow." You need to not avoid things to amass depth.

Mmm that sounds good, but plenty of good writers were alcoholics

His prose is kind of weak. I agree.
However, he is (was) a great storyteller. There's a difference in telling a story and writing technically and putting down beautiful prose. They use the same medium and the same syntax, but that's about it.
However, I do think there's a decline in his storytelling abilities. IT and the first three in the Dark Tower series are magnificent, but the latter books are kind of whatever. It felt like he lost his imaginative capabilities or something.

>I haven't written anything in the past six months because it wouldn't be good enough!
Stephen King kind of sucks, but I wonder how much of the ire against him is motivated by legitimate grievances about his quality, and how much is resentful bickering of the sort that infects this entire website.

>IT and the first three in the Dark Tower series are magnificent
How's highschool working out for you?

>a hack
it's a broken clock

>Sure got me with his master taste in literature!

I don't believe this faggot was ever depressed. He has a wife and kids.

Maybe GRRM had been depressed.

I doubt that JK Rowling was depressed. That bitch was probably a nightmare to her boyfriend.

All of these idiots now have millions of dollars because the public bought their stupid books.

I remember kids reading SK when I was a kid.

Finally, I doubt that anyone has a deep understand of the psychological concepts in SK's morbid books.

He wrote some entertaining fun fast-paced pulpy stories back in the day, now I'm pretty sure he has a hacky ghostwriter.

>cocaine

To the extent that he has no memory of writing Cujo

/r9k/ pls

A cycle of writing books that get turned into movies so that people will buy his books that get turned into movies, etc.

I cannot resent his success just on the pure merit he's a harder worker than other writers. I mean the dude must like, work, five days a week or some shit, for maybe eight hours!

>ignoring that he wrote the GOAT wife and kids depression books with The Shining and Pet Semetary

>Semetary

>Waiting for ''le inspiration'' to come by so you work, instead of working everysingle day
>Not producing shit because everything needs to be a masterpiece since you are THAT much of a perfectionist and everyone around you is a pleb without taste

The only writer to get fame, money and prestige writing just one book was the 50th shades of grey chick

none of the latter at all desu, nobdy is really 'jealous' of successful writers, theyre not rappers they dont have haterz lol

"o"

meh. it's been done before, and better.

Do I have to be American to understand King's literary merits?

There's more than one reason to drink

absolutely

under8ed

yeah, it's a cemetery for semen that was wasted
just like you