What did Seattle mean by this?

What did Seattle mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20090322125930/http://www.fas.usda.gov/itp/imports/ussugar.asp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I can't imagine European-origin folks buying those so I am fine with this. I just drink water, and sometimes unsweetened tea. If I want sugar, I will eat a pastry.

seattle is run by ass backwards progressives who think they know everything
tacoma seems to be a bit more reasonable

they should be more like Florida and just shoot people who buy this

Cook County in Chicago implemented a 1 cent on the ounce sugar drink tax. What's Seattle doing?

The watermelon ones weren't sold because Seattle has no black people.

>drinking anything but water, coffee, tea and booze

They got rid of it in December, though.

wtf? the tax is almost a whole drink!

please go shop somewhere else and put all the local stores out of buisness

I fucking hate Americans. Their stupidity makes me despise the human race more than anything niggers and shitskins might do.

lol'ed audibly

Sugary drinks have a societal cost (people getting diabeetus, needing insulin, being obese, etc). These are all things you foot the bill for, whether you like it or not. A government "sin-tax" can either offset the costs associated with a particular behavior or it can reduce the attractiveness of that behavior. It makes perfect sense

>Sugary drinks have a societal cost
no you retard...fat fucks who cant into self control are the "societal cost"

The newest sin tax.

You faggots make $15 minimum, stop complaining

They don't trust you to not be a fat piece of shit

whether you like it or not, what does it say about our society when a 32 ounce can of sugar water (containing well over 60 grams of sugar) costs less than a head of lettuce?

The obvious solution here is for the government to stop subsidizing the results of poor life choices rather than making half assed attempts to prevent people from making those choices.

It says that corn syrup would be extremely cheap to produce even if there weren't government subsidies making it even cheaper.

Making soda is easier and less expensive than growing a head of lettuce. It says our society prices things lower than other things if it takes less to produce them.

except that doesn't work. the notion of delayed gratification is important here. the vast majority of people focus on maximizing their short term utility with little to no regard for long term consequences. telling fat poor people once they are sick to go fuck off and die isnt going to prevent the masses from getting fat and poor.

Lol, no it wouldn't. Stop attemting to justify the widespread use of subsidized HFCS in the most obese 1st world country in the world by arguing it would be just as cheap to produce otherwise. Your kind even elected the most obese president since this gentleman, lmao.

t. Chink

But it WILL cause them to fuck off and die, and if done correctly they'll fuck off and die in such large numbers that the burden no longer becomes one.

more sugar in the US comes from beets than from corn. also, sugar is generally pricier in the US than it is in in the rest of the world.

or we could just make it more difficult for them to poison themselves and everybody wins xD

Nope, bad diet becomes problematic to late in life to cause selection pressure. Dumb poor people breed well before they get their first heart attack. By the time they die from their diet their own spawn is already pregnant.

Or maybe we should just kill the retarded and fatties. Eugenics is only evil in the eyes of the genetically unfit, and they're out downfall so...

Really though, it's like cockroaches telling you they'll change. You know they wont so just stomp them out.

>and if done correctly
But that is the tricky part. What makes you think the government will suddenly go from being a poorly run gaggle of fuck ups to having their shit together enough to do some thing like this correctly?
Here's a hint, they won't. Because they can't.

Fucking collectivists. Taxing stupid shit to pay for minimum wage increases and healthcare for everyone. THATS fair, but a person taking direct responsibility for their health is not their responsibility. Let the tax payers cover that.

WTF Liberals are fUCKING FAT SHAMERS??!?!? THATS A HATE CRIME

>he doesn't know about cane sugar quotas
Corn subsidies are not the only thing affecting the relative prices of corn syrup and cane sugar.

>web.archive.org/web/20090322125930/http://www.fas.usda.gov/itp/imports/ussugar.asp
>Raw cane sugar, refined sugar, sugar syrups, specialty sugars and sugar-containing products enter the United States under a variety of tariff-rate quotas (TRQs). A tariff-rate quota provides for a low tariff on a certain quantity (the quota amount), and a higher tariff on any quantity above the level of the quota.

but if we killed all the retards we wouldn't have posts like yours to chuckle at

They are genetically fit though. To be genetically fit is to procreate and have your offspring procreate. Anything else is noise.

In that sense dumb poor people tend to be more fit than highly educated elites because those tend to reproduce below replacement rate.

Of course if you were to prohibit them from procreating and succeed they would no longer be fit, and that's a valid tactic, but not a very realistic one.

>Country get a female ruler
>Beers go from 90 cents to $3.50 dollars
Do not make this mistake.

where?

>Sugar beverage tax
It's only a matter of time before you dipshits leave your metro shitholes and bring your retarded fucking taxes with you

>These are all things you foot the bill for
But I don't, because I don't pay for your healthcare.
>It makes perfect sense
Not if I don't want a nanny state it doesn't.

It's over. It lasted like 4 months before the Apu Lobby took it down.

Puerto Rico, guess that I should had said non-country.

not as bad as my state having a sales tax on amazon,newegg etc.
my gpu cost $12 in taxes, the shipping was $8
fuck taxes

Did you get fucked by the hurricane? I haven't kept up with the news. I wonder if things are back to normal yet?

>booze

Lmao.

the best part when they tried this in NY was the penalty didn't get applied to any beverages with diary in them
so you couldn't drink a soda but you could drink a double whipped strawberry cocamappafrappo from starcucks which contained more sugar as well as more fat
and of course they wouldn't dare apply this to alcohol which also has more calories than sugar while providing nothing beneficial to your body

its just progressives testing the water to see how far they can push tyranny before feeling push back from the people.
they want the loyalist scum to say "ugh, its just sugar, get over it you fat fuck". Yeah, its just sugar NOW. You need to draw the line in he sand before they go after something important, not after

>Did you get fucked by the hurricane?
Yes. I still don't have electrical power. Thing are slowly going back to normal.

>I am disappoint.

The tax is only 40 cents, the shop owner is lying to you.

>he thinks they don't tax alcohol

Their alcohol tax is retarded too

Remember tax is just institutionalized theft.

Is it seriously a 40% tax? thats insane

You talk like a fucking 12 year old who watches fatpeoplehate videos on YouTube. Yeah you fucking dumb fucking retard, it would be good if fatties just died right?? But guess what, it's not gonna just happen like that. You fucking stupid think asshole, if I meet you in real life I will actually fucking kill you

so is drinking this shit

I will not remember that because it's retarded.
Taxes are part of the economic system we have that defines property rights in our society.
The government is the arbiter of property rights.
We choose to recognize limits on ownership of every dollar in your paycheck for example because taxes let our society do lots of shit it otherwise wouldn't be able to. If people had to voluntarily give to the government, no individual would take a macroeconomic perspective in giving. Our infrastructure, systems, and law enforcement would be shittier and weaker. So we write the obligation to pay taxes into our social contract.

They didn't choose to make an exception for Starbucks liquid candy. It's just that they didn't want to risk making drinks with nutritional value more expensive.
A tax that contains the cost of a product or service on other people is sensible. If people who tend to consume purple drank later get sick and overutilize social programs to cover healthcare costs that are otherwise meant to help citizens legitimately fallen on hard times, that imposes a cost on everyone else.
Peoples' actions sometimes impose a cost on others. That is why regulation is important to protect freedom. Taxes are one mechanism by which regulation can function.

TL;DR I'm a bootlicker

t. British redcoat
The founding fathers would've been against federal taxes of any form. It was the reason we had the revolution in the first place. The federal government was never supposed to have social programs, build infrastructure, or have huge overarching bureaucratic systems full of unelected officials. The government is shit at using my money.

>The government is shit at using my money.
The government has done a great deal of good, for all its shortcomings. Medicare is much more popular than private insurance for folks who utilize it.
It also doesn't help that people keep electing folks that vow to destroy the government and then talk about how the government doesn't work.

So is the zero calorie arnold palmer one tax free or is this just some bullshit? Also fuck lite and full sugar, I only like the diet.

It's .0175 per ounce. .0175 x 23 = .4025

Taxes fund our oppressive and evil military industrial complex. Without taxes. there'd be no militaries in the world to genocide each other.

Somewhat reasonable, but:
A slight tax will not deter people buying sugary products, at all.

how about just changing federal food stamp guidelines to restrict food stamps from being able to pay for sodas?

Medicare is shit and is bankrupting our government. Healthcare is not a right and a doctor has every right to insure that they are paid for their work. Anyone who has some semblance of a job has healthcare already through their employer.

The vast majority of people do not waste their ebt on buying junk food and ridiculous restrictions usually leads to more people abusing the system. Plus your fat ass requiring ambulances to need sturdier guaranies or subway seats needing to be bigger has nothing to do with the poor

There is no choice between whether you have government or not. We have examples of societies without rule of law. The consequence is a feudal society, where there is no single authority with a monopoly on force.

Government is a given; the best we can do is hope that we get to live under a government that is self-sustaining, representative, meritocratic, and recognizes basic human rights.
There aren't many systems humans have devised that check all of those boxes. Constitutional Republic is one of those. You can play around with that to some degree like parliamentary system or federal system but for the most part you need a constitutional republic with separation of powers.

>subsidize the corn industry
>corn industry makes HFCS the main sweetener for sugary drinks
>tax sugary drinks

>Doesn't have electric power
>Somehow posts on Veeky Forums
What did he mean by this?

JUST

>ethical consumption
>big sodies make people fyat and not a substratum of serious cultural problems related to consumerism
>it's like 'gooder' & stuff cause we get xtra money to embezzle :-)

I mean it's mad cool that you roleplay as a mother jones subscriber on Veeky Forums for replies but still

Taxation is theft. Taxation is rape. Taxation is genocide.

It is actually a problem for people who use the excuse that soda is cheaper than bottled water in areas were the tap taste like piss

And you have faggots like these, who are somehow worse at basic economics than communists.

t. NEET

>when someone questions the divine right of kings

what the fuck

>Damn liberal utopians keep on going about "private property" as if serdom isn't transhistorial

No one pays healthcare taxes anymore. Other then Medicaid which Is for old people. That needs to go away to.

Wrong, they were against the British, because they paid taxes without representation. With some other minor conflicts like the quartering act. Basically they were treated like a separate territory with all of the negatives, and few of the positives.

One production line taking up the space of an average family house can produce 1000+ cans per minute. A head of lettuce can't be made that quickly.

i fear you are wasting your time trying to explain things.

If he doesn't have Healthcare then yes you do pay for it. Tax payers cover the cost of people who don't pay their hospital bills

I saw this today at Safeway. I didn't care cause my Coke Zero and zero calorie Monster wasn't taxed. The government wants the money to pay to have these gross ass refugees in this Seattle.

based NH and WY

Is this a literal fat tax? I thought that was just a joke.

>Tax payers cover the cost of people who don't pay their hospital bills
No, we don't. Hospitals send that shit out to collections, the government doesnt reimburse them.

Can confirm. I got a debt collector's bill 2 weeks after I asked the hospital to reevaluate their ludicrous bill that was over 2x what it should have been after they abstained from sending me a bill for a month. Fuck hospitals.

Everyone with discipline loses because of the excessive taxation. Nobody cares whether they breed or die or live miserably so long as others aren't forced to pay for it.

I would rather take taxes on something I don't even drink over taxing everybody

>it's ok because it doesn't affect me
user they're using sugary drinks as a stepping stone. Next thing you know they'll impose an unhealthy food tax.

And is that really bad? To keep idiots from loading up on junk food all the time? You'd still be able to afford treats, it's only bad when it adds up because you're buying so much.

yeah, it is bad. Taxes are already too high, and its none of the governments business what you eat

also these taxes are super regressive, so you would think actual leftist would hate them, but in fact they are the only supporters of them because leftists are hypocrites who don't understand economics

t. took econ 1 and learned what externality means

Do you really think a small rise in prices would stop fatties from loading up on their sugary addictions? Real change in diet comes from social pressure, not big daddy government telling you what you can and can't eat.

>gross ass refugees in this Seattle
Somalis? Syrians?

They had the soda tax in Chicago for a while. I drink soda about twice a week and with the soda tax in place I ended up moving it down to once a week and everytime I bought I soda I was annoyed with myself. Its effective but everyone hates it

americans have some of the lowest taxes of developed countries, what are you talking about