What are some good books by St. Thomas Aquinas and/or St Augustine which counter arguments this neo atheism...

What are some good books by St. Thomas Aquinas and/or St Augustine which counter arguments this neo atheism, which is basically "I cant see god, so he doesnt exist".

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Drama-Atheist-Humanism-Henri-Lubac/dp/089870443X
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Summa Theologica

None, Aquinas didn't write for contemporary atheists and his proofs first require solid understanding of core terms such as the 4 causes, Act and Potency, essence, substance, contingency and so on. Thomism on the other hand exists still and deals with attacks on classical theism.
Against contemporary atheism: Edward Feser, Aqunas: Beginners guide, The Last Superstition, Scholastic Metaphysics, 5 Proofs of God
Against Kant, Hehel, Spinoza, Hume and Mill: Garrigou-Lagrange, Reality A Thomistic Synthesis, God His Existence and His Nature vols I and II
Against Wittgenstein and logical positivism: Elizabeth Amscombe and Alsadair MacIntyre, After Virtue, Whose Justice Which Rationality, Three Rival Versions of Moral Inquiry, Intention, Human Life, Action and Ethics

Why do you care what someone else believes?

Thats what I was looking for.

Every critique of empiricism resoundedly BTFO'es new atheism.

To be considered a modern atheist intellectual all you need to do is:
> say god isn't real
> regurgitate atheist talking points with a smug grin
> disprove fringe uneducated Christian beliefs and act as if you've addressed all Christians and their beliefs

Atheism nowadays is part of the brainlet starter pack.

>logical positivism
No one takes it seriously, right?

no longer, no, although it still ought to be taken more seriously than christianity

>although it still ought to be taken more seriously than christianity
Get out.

He isn't wrong.

You have to go back.

8gag christian board fruits please go

To be fair Catholicism has been on a massive retreat in the past 50 years where it's trying to fight the diminishing importance by shooting itself in the foot and gutting its own liturgy, education, philosophy and aesthetics to appeal to modern validness.

you don't need theology to counter neo atheism

kek, I've seen you complain about "8gag christians" at least twice in the last few days. You know how I know it's always you? Because "8gag" doesn't exist.
Also, christians have been shitposting here for literally years. You are very new or very paranoid if you think threads like these are unusual.

What is the other path to counter it then?

Epistomology. They can't handle basic epistomology.

The path to god isn't the intellect. You don't need to counter any arguments at all. If you genuinely seek god you will literally experience him and it will be true even by the athiest's episteme.

This is, if you are Catholic, borderline heretical.

The sacrements and the practice of catholocism is one of the things that will lead you to god in this way. Actually probably one of the best ways.

Theology isn't the foundation of religion, though, reality is. Reality exists entirely apart from the intellect. You don't need to argue about the existence of friendship, you just have to get somebody to engage in the right practices.

>against wittgenstein
>GEM Anscombe
ewe wot m80?

She didn't buy into metaphysics is all just word games as far as I know. Maybe I'm wrong.

>neo atheism
It's common sense. If you have no proof for a religion, nor you feel no personal connection to it, why should you follow it? Do you think that's something new? That no one has been able to entertain this extremely basic though until 2015?

>metaphysics is all just word games
that's a pretty drastic oversimplification of later Wittgenstein. GEM was an analytic Thomist, but it's not like her work was directly against her teacher's.

I was thinking early, not late. Late Wittgenstein is extremely well accepted with Catholics since it easily translates to "you need tradition to make sense of any of it".

I haven't actually read it, tbqh, but I've had my eye on it for years, and I imagine it does address the topic of atheism in an interesting and penetrating way.

The Drama of Atheist Humanism by Henri de Lubac, SJ
>amazon.com/Drama-Atheist-Humanism-Henri-Lubac/dp/089870443X

/ De Lubac traces the origin of 19th century attempts to construct a humanism apart from God, the sources of contemporary atheism which purports to have "moved beyond God." The three persons he focuses on are Feuerbach, who greatly influenced Marx; Nietzsche, who represents nihilism; and Comte, who is the father of all forms of positivism. He then shows that the only one who really responded to this ideology was Dostoevsky, a kind of prophet who criticizes in his novels this attempt to have a society without God. /

>recommending people who participated in the destruction of liturgy
I'm salty as fuck

>neo atheism
that's about the oldest atheist argument against the existence of a deity. what the fuck is in your priest's semen?

top critiques of empiricism?

Just read Feser's The Last Superstition. He goes out of his way to mirror the snarky polemical tone of New Atheists and specifically counter their talking points. Aquinas knew about materialism but it wasn't an active movement in his time and the most prevalent materialist ideas weren't fleshed out until later.