What are some video games with good stories? please only post what you think is actual good writing or storytelling...

what are some video games with good stories? please only post what you think is actual good writing or storytelling. the older I get, the more I keep seeing all the games I thought have good stories as being absolute shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stop.

Dragon Quest V's story is pretty good, especially from a historical perspective of the way it subverted the tropes of the previous games in the series, and switched the tone from a heroic tale to something more along the lines of a tragedy.

Monkey Island & basically every major LucasArts adventure
The Longest Journey
Full Throttle
Beneath a Steel Sky
Planescape: Torment
Arcanum
Legacy of Kain
Morrowind

this

Videogame storytelling and writing have a lot of hoops to jump through, so judging their writing like a movie will never look good for them. It's a waste of time, instead focus on how the game's writing effects you in a more visceral sense as you're forced to "act it out" so to speak.

Silent Hill 2

undertale

>storytelling
Terry Cavanagh - Don't Look Back
Daniel Remar - Iji
Tim Schafer - Grim Fandango
Paul Cuisset - Flashback
>good stories
There are none. All of them are extremely derivative.

FFVI is probably the best, but it's still a jrpg.
anyways, video games don't excel in 'storytelling' which is for fags anyways. Play a 2D fighter or a rhythm game or platformer or something.

killer7
lisa
grim fandango
dropsy
okami

Agreed, this is such an in important part to what I think is the only way a game's story should be judged. Many people look to games, and game devs strive to make their games as if they were movies and I don't think they'll really get anywhere interesting by imitating film, so neither literature.

May Payne number one, Mafia

SMT: Nocturne

Dark Souls.
If you tell me it has no story, I'll just tell you you're >tfw to uninitelligent too get it.

Patrician choice.

>Daniel Remar - Iji
My nigga.

unironically metal gear rising: revengeance
I hate when a game takes itself too seriously

Morrowind.
Fucking game made me have an existential epiphany when I was younger

The metal gear solid series is quite literary, especially mgs2.
Bioshock and it's sequels at least try to explore interesting themes, places and stories. As do most 0451 games related to dues ex e.g. Prey 2016
The dark souls games, especially bloodborne, are a complete experience where every story telling trick available to video games is used very well to achieve a profound experience for the player, as does something like shadow of the collosus.
Some classic bioware stories are quite good, ditto for other well known wrpgs like fallout.
Spec ops:The line is one of the only literary games I can think of that doesn't make use of genre elements.

Mother
Okami
Some Dragon Quest stories

/thread

>tfw there will never be a game with the plot structure of an epic poem, and each and every character speaks in verse dialogue because, game developers are too cheap to hire real writers

Mother 3
Bloodborne

LISA: The Painful RPG maybe? Most stories are pretty standard, and got it right. There aren't going to be any "new" stories, but you will feel closer to the story in a way. So with that line of thinking:

Bastion
Oddworld:Abe's Oddyssey
Fallout 1,2 and New Vegas
Hotline Miami
The Witcher series

More like such a game woulnd't be commercially viable, have no fanbase except a few people on Veeky Forums, and might just as well have shit gameplay, making it completely unplayable.

Pretty much these two

Add Mask of the Betrayer to that list. The Blade Runner point-and-click game arguably qualifies too.

youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

If they made it a god of war/prince of persia esque game with an abstracted visual style like the 300 movie it'd make fucking bank. Ultraviolence overlayed with somber music and poetry would draw hipsters to it like moths to a flame.

killer7 is cryptic as hell and has some crazy dialogue. its amazing. nothing will ever beat that game for me.

i kinda liked the premise of the new metal gear, but that falls apart.

flower sun rain is pure art.

suda51 is pretty reliable, at least he used to. i remember killer is dead being pretty sad.

phoenix wright was always a fun game for me, if you like mystery and all that.

thats about all i got. im not big on vidya, too expensive.

Add Gabriel Knight games, and erase Legacy of Kain and Morrowind. They're great atmospheric games, but storywise they're bad.

Some extras:
- Spec Ops: The Line
- Chrono Trigger
- Max Payne 1
- Little Big Adventure 2
- Deus Ex

>writers name next to a game
Extremely pretentious.
>there are none
Planescape: Torment, Live a Live, Xenogears, Fallout 1, Majora's Mask etc
You're a pleb.

Kentucky Route Zero

I also get the feeling literally nobody here has played it. Yo absolutely should. It's magical realism crossed with southern gothic crossed with contemporary criticism about death and debt with a Lynchian vibe. Seriously fucking play (read) it.

>mgs2

Basically Baudrillard

LISA is good

The Beginner's Guide is how to do a story in a walking sim (realize Games are sculpture as well)

Cairo is basically a puzzle based tone poem

The Long Dark's Sandbox mode is some of the best emergent narrative you'll see right now.

AAA games are doomed from the start, regardless of how often people call me a hipster.

Dear Esther.

Hit me hard because the love of my life's name was Esther, and she...