/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Fantasy Vs Sci-fi Edition.
>What Genre do you read more of (Sci-fi/ Fantasy)?
>What Genre has the Best Characterizations?
>What Genre has the most Imaginative or thought provoking Ideas?

>/SFFG/ Recommendations:
FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous threads:

>>>/LGBT/
Fuck off over there, if you wish to talk about shit that is answered or disputed by a simple "google" search.

>>What Genre do you read more of (Sci-fi/ Fantasy)?
Science fantasy.
>>What Genre has the Best Characterizations?
Science fantasy.
>>What Genre has the most Imaginative or thought provoking Ideas?
Science fantasy.

Reminder: The only female authors worth reading are dead.

Every author on that image is a white fucking male including multiple conservative Christians and you think you have the right to complain about politics being pushed?

Reminder: Cherryh has yet to be dead.

Why do you hate white men? Is being white a political statement? Would you be happier if they were all arabic muslims?

gri is NOT white.

Low quality bait but I see there are still idiots falling for it.

>>>/tumblr/
Get the fuck out. This thread is for sffg and we don't care if you're a racist, we just want to talk about neat books so please leave your political autism at the door or fuck off.

It wasn't a plural until the post after your post though.

LMAO I tried to make that meme as impartial as possible but le epin troles still found a way

Politispergs trigger me desu, couldn't help responding.

*blocks your path*

No, Ursula Le Reddit is not one of the best, not even great. She's completely mediocre.

Her body may be alive, but her spirit abandoned that walking corpse years ago.

Sorry but even with trips you're still wrong.

*literally blocks your path, no way you can possible step around, over, or beneath without violating the laws of physics*

>PKD
I feel personally attacked.

shit I was just about to post Colleen McCullough and then I saw that she's dead.

She looks so much more joyful than Urusla Le Reddit. Cute even.

Are you the same one person that tries to force all these super shitty memes on sffg?

Nope.

Eh, she writes extremely generic fantasy and alternative history settings that have been done to death. And I'm not really a fan of the anti-religious tone spread throughout her books but I'm not sure if it's her sheer incompetence or intended.

So I've just read "Do Androids dream of electric sheep?" and is it bad that I like "Bladerunner" better? I know it's just loosely based on it but I feel like it's a better work altogether.
Specially what happens towards the end? He thought he could not kill her but then he could and has an empathy overload? Suddenly "becoming" mercer despite not having used an empathy box? The fuck happened there?

>The fuck happened there?
PKD in a nutshell.

>And I'm not really a fan of the anti-religious tone spread throughout her books but I'm not sure if it's her sheer incompetence or intended.
Look at the top of her head, user.

>What Genre do you read more of (Sci-fi/ Fantasy)?
Fantasy. I read very little sci-fi.
>What Genre has the Best Characterizations?
I don't really know much about sci-fi but it isn't hard to beat fantasy for characterization, it's not really the strongpoint of the genre.
>What Genre has the most Imaginative or thought provoking Ideas?
IDK, I only read fantasy.

These questions don't really take into account people who only really read one of the two genres, I don't know dick about science fiction so how could I make comparisons? Just talk out of my ass and pretend I know what I'm talking about?

>Just talk out of my ass and pretend I know what I'm talking about?
Are you new here?

guys these frozen samosa were really tasty and affordable.

which were they? the ones in that come in like a big 24 pack are a good value, but i find they're kinda greasy, but the ones in the big red box stay crispy even in the microwave and they come with some good ass sauce too

I'm not american so the chance that you know the brand is unlikely. But they were like 50 small pieces. you were supposed to deep fry them but I baked (some of) them with a light oil coating, so they weren't too greasy at all, but could have been more crisp. No sauce. I very much doubt they'd come out nice from a micro waving though. But damn, they were like 5-6 dollars and I'm definitely getting one or two meals out of them, and that's in a country with very expensive food.
I wonder if I should try deep frying some. Never really tried deep frying before and I wonder if I'll end up burning down my apartment.

Just Sage and Report them.

*one or two more meals.

but these samosas were FANTASticY.

good fantasy about going from shitter to non-shitter? and I mean truly a shitter. I'm thinking something like blank slate, child, or hobo. Something like Stormlight doesn't count, Kaladin was already a god tier spearman at the outset of the books.

why is it so dead.

Because we're reading, stupid.

What, how are you supposed to read if no one is posting anything new?

If you want some extreme examples of this you can find them in light novels, like going from a useless slime or spider to a demi-god.

Yes but I also like my stories to have like just a teensy bit of pacing and acceptable level of quality.

>pacing and acceptable level of quality
Well, you definitely aren't going to find that in light novels. Do you consider "Wheel of Time" to have acceptable pacing or quality? It becomes DBZ levels of retarded power escalation.

Okay, I've read Frank Herbert, Gene Wolfe and Jack Vance and loved their works. Please recommend me a more obscure science fantasy author.

Zelazny

I've been looking for new genre fiction books to read. By "new", I mean released within the last decade. Unfortunately, I can't find anything good or even interesting. Seems like the death of modern literature isn't just a meme. Can anyone here prove me wrong?

So you have an idea of my tastes: I like low fantasy, intrigue, large-scale politics, anti-hero and villain protagonists, deep worldbuilding and lore; dislike conlangs, pure heroes, extremely derivative fantasy cultures, shoehorned diversity/SJW stuff, drawn-out action sequences.

Malazan

Does WoT start out with complete scrubbyness, or is it just from pretty good to even gooderness?
I don't really care about power escalation, never takes me out of a story. Doesn't even have to be power-related though, any type of incompetence to competence story is fine.

Seconded

Joe Abercrombie is right up your alley, start with The First Law trilogy, which is worth sticking to until the end.

Found out I made a free trial on scribd in feburary and forgot about it. Been paying $9/month since then. My own fault for not checking my statements. Anyway I've got 9 book credits and 2 audiobook credits that I'm desperately looking to blow through so I can cancel my subscription.

What should I get? I don't really care if it's sff, but that's mostly what I read.

Keys to the Kingdom starts out with an asthmatic powerless 13 year old who continually becomes more powerful/confident.

I'm trying to find a book.

It was about a bunch of kids hanging out with these aliens called "Dancers" and emulating them which led to some fucked up shit and then it followed one of them later in life.

Been having a hell of a time finding it. Might be shit googling I dunno.

What do you like?

Figured I should've included a taste profile. My topshelf books are GRRM's ASOIAF, Joe Abercrombie's The First Law, and Glen Cook's The Black Company. Right now I'm reading through Sapkowski's Witcher series, I like it but it's got some serious flaws. I enjoyed Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.

Speaking of Kaladin, I'm only on page 370ish of the first book and I felt a really hype moment which quickly fizzled out. So Idk if I'm slow and there were earlier hints aside from Syl and his supposed "luck" but when you get his first narrated bridge run as bridge leader, he starts to take notice of his spheres losing their light. And finally at the end of the chapter he gets his surge of strength to finish the run and notices his last sphere lost its light. I felt really hype that it was basically right in your face that he is a Surgebinder. I'm conflicted cause I feel like it was probably noticeable earlier and feel dumb or that it was meant to be saved for later reveal and now that reveal won't be as cool.

This story starts with a stinky old drunk hobo stealing from a priest who provides him with shelter, clothes and food and things don't get much better from there.

Matthew Stover

This book is phenomenal, the sequels less so.

Have you finished the Unholy Consult yet /sffg/?

So obscure I could not buy a reasonably priced copy of Blade of Tyshalle. All the other Acts of Caine books were in paperback and typically priced, but Blade was 40 dollars. So I got that one on Kindle. Eats at me every time I look at my shelves.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

>young adult
uh..

don't worry. it's not really presented as a twist and the pacing doesn't rely on it, so it won't hinder your enjoyment to figure it out early/late

next level trashy cover.

Thats how you know its good user

What's your favorite historical fiction? Aside from Bernard Cornwell.

Masters of Rome.

Aubrey-Maturin series.

Smokes Cornwell, and Forester too.

Sup /sffg/
Im currently reading through ASOIAF but thinking about setting it to the side until the fat fuck finishes the series. In the meantime, I have been considering reading the Middle Earth series (Hobbit/LotR/Silmarillion), but recently I discovered the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and it looks very interesting. Has anyone here read it? Is it a good read?

>pic related

>even volume 20 has 5000 reviews and 4.3 rating on goodreads

cant be right

You're right -- book 20 is manifestly not as good as the earlier ones. But the series hits its stride at book three and stays strong until 17 or 18. That is, if you've bought in you will keep on loving them.

At some point they stop being really distinct books and becomes an extended serial, but it's always moving, characters living, ageing and dying. And in between, some moments more vivid to me than my own life.

If you like audio listen to Patrick Tull. Fan meetups used to bring him in to read. He knows the cadence, the accents and the jargon.

Count of Monte Cristo. Basically *the* ultimate revenge novel.
Aubrey-Maturin.
P. T. Deutermann's WW2 stuff is good, especially Ghosts of Bungo Suido.
Highly recommend The Centurions and The Praetorians by Jean Lartéguy. Good reading if you want to understand Vietnam and so on. Pair 'em up with the film Battle of Algiers.

Also they're more pulp detective stories but I like the Billy Boyle series. Irish cop from Boston tries ends up doing detective stuff for his uncle Eisenhower during WWII.

R.A. Lafferty. Read and comprehend his complete works and you will be the most patrician poster on /sffg/

Yeah but gamers tend to be autistic or stupid so I tend to assume most people that played miss stuff like that and only notice him killing lots of stuff so see him as a generic badass with a gravelly voice.

Yeah I've played them and unfortunately interacted with the community a lot. Most people don't seem to have gotten it even when CDPR started doing a pretty good job presenting him. He's still more autistic and whiny in the books though, if only because games aren't a good place to demonstrate a main character's emotional retardation.

What did everyone think of the new GoT episode?

It starts out decent but incredibly generic with some good moments and turns to complete shit.

>So you have an idea of my tastes: I like low fantasy, intrigue, large-scale politics, anti-hero and villain protagonists,
Prince of Nothing by R. Scott. Bakker.

How come his stuff is so hard to find in print? I've read some of his stories and liked them a lot. I'd rather not read digital copies if I have a choice though but I suppose I have to in this case.

You can't call yourself a fan of fantasy if you haven't read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

>Right now I'm reading through Sapkowski's Witcher series, I like it but it's got some serious flaws.
I wish I could read it in Polish. You can see spots where the translator is clearly struggling to render wit that just doesn't work out of its native language.

Are people who never lived still dead?

>Right now I'm reading through Sapkowski's Witcher series, I like it but it's got some serious flaws.
I wish I could read it in Polish. You can see spots where the translator is clearly struggling to render wit that just doesn't work out of its native language.

Yes. You better know where this is going Scott. And fuck you for how you killed Sorweel.

>but thinking about setting it to the side until the fat fuck finishes the series.
So forever then.

Night Angel trilogy
Rothfuss shit if you consider all his begging and shit

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Well I'm a quest completionist. Got really tired of Geralt's constant "Fine" all the time.
Come one Geralt, say "ok" or "alright" once in a while.

>tfw to intelligent to be reprinted

>Euron greyjoy,
I refuse to believe it's possible to like show Euron if you've actually read the books. He's pure shit compared to the book version.

>reading that pile of presupposed garbage

Hasn't the show been far ahead of the books by now

D&D pretty much raped TV!Littlefinger to death anyway, they didn't seem to know what to do with his character after they outpaced the book, so he either didn't do anything at all or came off like an idiot when one of his plans fell through.

Killing le twirly moustache man was for the best, though the set up for it throughout the season was retarded.

You're watching a garbage show, why not?

They started making shit up even before they ran out of material so it depends on what you mean by "ahead". I doubt much of this resembles what the fat man intended but we'll probably never know now.

>D&D pretty much raped TV!Littlefinger to death anyway
They didn't write so good

Oh yes, the edgelord black magic practicing douche who kills and rapes his brothers for kicks.

He didn't rape Aeron, that's just dumb readers lacking imagination. He did something worse that will likely never be specified and involved his dying brother Urri.

>reading a wiki to a book series you think is shit to better understand a show you think is shit but still watch
sad

There's basically no reason to have Euron unless you also have Victarion and vice versa. Their interaction is what makes both characters.

>finger in le bum XDD

Mason and Dixon

>finger in le bum XDD
it somehow ended up in jamie's in that scene