Reading is so unfulfilling...

Reading is so unfulfilling. I feel like I need to read shitloads of boring as fuck books or else I'm a pleb or pseudointellectuals will call me a pleb. I decided to read five extremely important books and then tell myself to forget this feeling forever. The books are the republic (read and liked), brothers Karamazov (read and disliked), war and peace (at about p60 and it's good), great expectations (40 % through and it's shit), and a tale of two cities (will probably be shit).

I hate this fucking feeling. I see fiction as entertainment, not some stupid fountain of "insights".

I should be spending my time doing practical stuff or learning stem stuff, not reading myself stupid. Everything feels like work.

To summarise, I simply don't have the balls to follow my own intuitions and tastes, even though I genuinely believe in them. And even after the five books it won't end. Dickens is boring shit but he has tonnes of boring books you'll be called a pleb for not reading. The Idiot is on my shelf and I will give it a fair shot but not have the balls to give up if it becomes boring.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dXiXlwiZNGI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If the only reason you read is to not be viewed as a pleb by people on /lit and not because you actually want to you are only an even bigger pleb.

Stop spamming this shitty copypasta retard.

I made it yesterday and it was deleted for some reason

Anime is probably more your speed.

Try visual novels instead.

>I need to read shitloads of boring as fuck books or else I'm a pleb or pseudointellectuals will call me a pleb

This imaginary belief is why you are so unfulfilled

You are blaming everyone else and judging yourself based on what everyone else thinks. Someone will always think you're a fraud, and you'll always feel like a fraud if you judge yourself on their opinion

I'm not saying that books you find boring aren't important. They probably are. But you have to find a new rationale for reading that doesnt involve what other people think about you

I think your problem is that you are too smart to be bluepilled. You read what shills tell you to and it has no effects.

What you need is the good old redpill.
I suggest:

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Mein Kampf
Why We Fight
Camp Of The Saints

Is just reading the Republic sufficient for an understanding of Ancient Literature, though?

>redpill
>bluepill
>shill
>mein kampf

You are brain-dead.

Congrats on growing up op. Lol at all the pretentious dweebs who still derive their self worth from reading difficult classics. I grew out of that in college, now I read for entertainment.

please go to sleep
I am taller, smarter and better than you
(also probably whiter LOL, gammaboy)

"Self worth" is an interesting choice of phrase, which again implies you merely do it in order to impress people

Entertainment is fine, but there is a far deeper enjoyment to be found in reading things because they are difficult and more rewarding once they are understood

What you are looking for is general fiction, not literature. Different topics! You wouldn't post about a movie on /tv/.

I think the classics are worth reading just because they are almost ubiquitously considered great, and becoming acquainted with them will enhance your knowledge of literature. You can begin comparing shit together competently and actually have some authority on the subject of the art, and just for that reason alone, I think it's worth finishing some of these tomes, the effort needed isn't that great, and with most books, there's always boring parts and good parts, and it is rewarding getting to the good parts, I think.

>Reading is so unfulfilling
You're reading the wrong books. If the classics won't do it for you, then you need their prerequisites or something completely different. You shouldn't be reading for other people either, but for yourself.

>I don't enjoy this hobby
>I want to be better at it than other people though
How is this our problem?

>the brothers karamazov
>(read and disliked)
i have never heard of someone who has read the brothers karamazov, cover-to-cover, and disliked it. how is this possible, opie? what did you dislike?

as for dickens, no one can earnestly say that anyone, wholesale, who does not like him is a pleb. it is widely known that dickens engaged in inflation of his word count for profit, not to mention his continual purchasing, repackaging, and then reselling of his manuscripts. i believe there's a difference in writing with a gambling debt over your head (like dosto) and jewish tricks like dickens'.

>Dickens is boring shit but he has tonnes of boring books you'll be called a pleb for not reading.
Could be worse, read Handful of Dust by Waugh.

fuck you

TBK is the single most overrated book in the world.

>Unfortunately, these youths do not understand that the sacrifice of life is—in most cases—the easiest of all sacrifices, and that to dedicate, for example, five or six years of their exuberant youth to hard, painstaking study and the acquisition of knowledge for the sole purpose of enhancing tenfold their inherent capacity to serve just that cherished truth, that great work which they are committed to accomplish—such a sacrifice as this remains almost completely beyond the capabilities of many of them.

took you more than 2 hours to come up with this, hehe, weakling

If you have to force yourself to read classics and not out of enjoyment then you will always be a pleb.

I don't think that most normal people are capable of appreciating classic literature until maybe in their mid twenties, and they have to have some reading background until that point. It just takes a certain degree of maturity, patience and experience. It's like the pallet really, your pallet literally can't begin to appreciate certain tastes until you've reached a certain age.

Thank god I'm anonymous, otherwise I would have been really embarrassed about misspelling palate.

youtube.com/watch?v=dXiXlwiZNGI

Nice pasta, Mr. Coelho.

OP here. The feeling of having to read shitloads of boring old books or else I'm called a pleb won't go away no matter how much I tell myself not to care.

There are just so many boring books people expect you to have read and it is depressing. Seeing Dickens's books on a shelf alone is enough to drive me to new levels of disgust.

That why don't you read books that you won't find boring? If you liked the Republic why not try and find more like it. The more you read the more you'll want to start branching out. Suddenly some of those books you find shit might even become enjoyable.

If you want to get good at something you have to spend a lot of time. That applies to anything so just stop being a lazy fuck.

But I don't even believe in the arguments. I see fiction as merely entertainment. I see most philosophy as not worthwhile. Continental philosophy is all bs

>Dickens

If you go to an antiquarian bookstore, notice that 10% of shelf space is dedicated to dickens and scott.

plebs of their time except christmas carol

yee how long does it take to like esoteric literature
honestly can't i read junie b jones forever

I'm with this user.

Nietsche kind of gets fucking annoying and a little to edgy in Thus Spoke Zarathustra, but he was the first to do it, and completely original.

So read it with that context.

Just read fun, contemporary fiction until you realize it is stolen material from classics

Stop reading fiction.