Other urls found in this thread:

smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442
youtu.be/mf1C1cuoWpQ
fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceRegulation/UCM252393.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You mean smoked salmon on toast ?

No, I mean lox

Pick related is smoked salmon

Wow, that's pretty crazy. How much is the raw salmon in your area compared to Lox?

Raw salmon is like $10/lb regular price, goes on sale for ~$7/lb

Can't help you beyond that I'm afraid. Is the 30$ price for store bought or homemade by a traiteur ?
A youtube chef I follow has a recipe for Gravlax Salmon, it certainly looks similar but with a spice-based rub instead of herbs and salt and sugar.

Fucking fuck wrong file

Store-bought, frozen from package

The last time I saw it fresh it was $20/lb at the Polish supermarket I go to

>Raw salmon is like $10/lb
Add more for getting "sushi grade" salmon since you're not cooking it, just curing it for 24 hours doesn't make it entirely safe to eat. So to make a safe product they need to take that $10/lb salmon, freeze it for a while to kill parasites, then cure it, then slice it and package it. $30/lb sounds about right.

Also you lose some weight from the salmon from curing it with water loss, it's the same reason beef jerky is more expensive for the same weight from the same cut of beef.

Well, I'm not going to look at your jewtube, but I use this method. It's simple and I've had good results.

smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1442

>Store-bought, frozen from package
Damn. Can't see why it would be that much more expensive than the raw salmon then. Maybe its jsut not that much in demand.
Here's the recipe in french for saumon gravlax I talked about. relatively simple with fennel branches and leaves, pepper, salt and a paprik-chili (equal part of chili and paprika).
youtu.be/mf1C1cuoWpQ
Same reason why dried mushrooms are expensive really

>Why the fuck is it $30/lb?

Awesome. Just got a box with some slabs of frozen salmon in it yesterday. Will absolutely try this. Love me some lox.

Don't have any dill but I do have an old bottle of dried pickling spice. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Would I be able to make this with non-sushi grade frozen salmon?

Why the fuck do people use frozen salmon?

>Grab salmon filet
>Rub with sea salt
>Sprinkle sugar on top
>Shred dill on top
>Slice in half sideways
>Place halves on top of each other
>Wrap in tinfoil, then in baking paper
>Keep around 12 h in fridge, then flip over
>After another 12-24h, slice into thin slices and eat (with lemon wedges you squeeze into juice if oyu like)

Fucking amazing, relatively cheap and fresh once you get the amount of salt right. Just make sure it's saltwater and not breakwater fish.

T. I'm Finnish, I eat this a lot.

Bonus for benis :D

>Use pike (saltwater you faggot), after brined, marinade for a minute in gin/lemon juice mix
>Use perch, but add crushed rosemary/thyme on top of the slices
>Use orange instead of lemon

Life is bliss.

>Why the fuck do people use frozen salmon?
Americans are afraid of parasites or worms in the fish

This is stupid though because all salmon: wild, fresh, farmed, sushi grade, whatever label is put on them - as long as it comes from a reputable grocer, is frozen, either on the fishing boat or on the farm before it gets to the grocery store.

"Sushi grade" usually means its a center cut and fresh

if all salmon is frozen why are you whining about people buying frozen salmon

Do europeans really not yet understand the concept of preservation? This is not exactly new technology for 2018. If you vacuum seal meats and then freeze them, they keep for much longer. Not only that, it's safe to farms your cuts and ship them to a completely different part of the world with only a negligible loss of freshness during shipping.

The fishing industry doesn't publicize that fact because knowing that most if not all "fresh" fish was actually frozen at some point would ruin the appeal.

So, again, why are people in the thread complaining about frozen salmon then?

Could you point to a specific example, idk what the fuck you're talking about.

It having been frozen is desirable for preparing lox.

It having not been frozen is a meme used to sell gullible people on the "freshness" of a piece of fish

see
and

>Could you point to a specific example, idk what the fuck you're talking about.

5-6 posts above yours, or do you not read threads you post in?

Now have my salmon curing in the fridge with pickling spice. By this time tomorrow, I should have something resembling lox.

You have to freeze it at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time to kill parasites though, sticking it in your home freezer for a couple days probably isn't going to be enough.

fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceRegulation/UCM252393.pdf

Also that link tells you why just brining/curing doesn't make the fish safe to eat

freezing your meat in a home freezer is not good for the meat and is especially bad for fish.

flash freezing and the cold chain, on the other hand, are remarkable things.