ITT: recommend a book to your 16 year-old self

ITT: recommend a book to your 16 year-old self

pic related, wish i would have stopped being an edgy atheist a few years earlier

Is it Dostoyevsky or Dostoevsky?

We need to end this debate once and for all

Might is Right

Whenever I think of the past, I see many mistakes. But I cannot imagine myself differently from how I am now.

Nothing, desu. The past me was infinitely better than the current me.

This one

Good book, but atheism is the only logical position.

>dostojewski

Dostoîevski himself seems to admit that atheism is more rational (during the debate between Ivan and Alyosha, the latter has no arguments to refute Ivan's thesis) but he uses his characters to show that a religious life is the best option

It's Дocтoéвcкий, you can transliterate it whichever way you prefer.

"Doctobekynya"

Romanian?

Dostoblyat

But belief isn't a choice, and one couldn't rationally believe in theistic religion.

Dostoumberbatch if i am not mistaken

That novel is edgy atheism, though. Dostoyevsky wasn't Christian.
Logic is for simple-minded children.

Edgy agnostic or edgy theist is better than edgy atheist?

or, how i learned to start worrying and hate the jews

If you translate each letter from Cyrillic Дocтoéвcкий it would be Dostoyevskiy or Dostoevskij or something similar.

>Logic is for simple-minded children.
Christfags, everyone.

>wasn't Christian
>final words out of his mouth are of God's
nice

Triggered child.
>heretic
>God's word
The Logos is only revealed to those with the Spirit.

Thus Spake Zarathustra

I could've avoided 4 years of crippling depression

Dostoplebsky

Phaedo or The Apology. There's no teacher like Plato.

>started AND stopped with the Grand Inquisitor

>wish i would have stopped being an edgy atheist a few years earlier

Sounds like you still have a lot of growing up to do, squire. For a start, stop throwing around terms like 'edgy atheist'. Sure, atheism is the dominant thought in mainstream academia. And Christianity has a stronghold in certain parts of the US, like Islam does in the middle east and Buddhism does in South East Asia. But theology isn't a badge to wear, it isn't a vehicle for bragging, you're not scoring any brownie points for supporting the intellectual underdog, you just come off as immature and a little insecure. Try being yourself. Try leaving religion out of identity politics. Cant you enjoy a wonderful book like TBK without having to gain a counterfeit superiority for identifying as a theist and belittling "edgy atheists"?

dostolstoysbetterski

>atheism is the dominant thought in mainstream academia
you meant agnosticism, right?

ドクタージェットスキー

HOW DARE SOMEBODY BE CONFIDENT IN THEIR BELIEFS LOL IM A NIHILIST BRO

Dostoyevsky was a Christian atheist

Meditations
Frodo Smyth

>not Aoctoebcknn

>meditations
You're 17, then?

>Dostoyevsky
>atheist

Your 16-year-old self will want to start with Cather in the Rye first. Maybe we'll try Dosto again when you turn 17

Tbqh, I probably wouldn't have read a lot of the books that I've enjoyed in the past 3-4 years due to taste or lack of time.

The Unabomber manifesto probably would've been good at 16, though. It might have made me less of a techno-geek, which ultimately caused me to be a loser. If I couldn't rely on tech, I would've had to actually try in the real world, which may have given me a better understanding of my faults sooner rather than later.

He was though.

You've got to be baiting

maybe this? i remember understanding women more when i read that book

>Doctoévckyy

>wish i would have stopped being an edgy atheist a few years earlier
>gonna use the brothers k, a story that constructs itself deliberately to suit christianity, to bash atheism

Twat

>reddit

not a bad book but he repeats himself 5/6 times in a 120 page book. Basically read the tao te ching for a nicer version

>Books make me immediately change my take on life
Why?

in romana scriem Dostoievski

Dosto-chan

>logic is for simple minded children
So this is the true nature of religion.

For a board dedicated to literature there sure are a lot of people lacking in reading comprehension.

The Iliad
For an earlier start

Kant.
I avoided him for years because I read Nietzsche as an edgy teen and Nietzsche said Kant was boring.

On a related note, how doesn't everybody read Dosto and Nietzsche when they are fifteen?

When I was 20 I used to think that the 15-year-old me was way smarter. If you feel you are growing dumber every year you are doing something wrong.

>Nietzsche said Kant was boring.
Well, he wasn't wrong.

>When I was 20 I used to think that the 15-year-old me was way smarter. If you feel you are growing dumber every year you are doing something wrong.

I'm definitely smarter now, but I'm much more autistic too.

It's Dostoyevskij in a literal transliteration.

Dosztojevszkij

I actually regret reading this at age 15/16, I misinterpreted it and became an edgy pseud for a year or so.

Everyone pretends to understand Nietzsche when they're an edgy teenager, because the rebellious and vaguely empowering quotes they hear on r/atheism are appealing.
And as much as everyone loves to e-stat their intelligence, I doubt most 15 year olds could make it through Beyond Good and Evil, much less fully understand it.

Why is everybody slamming Marcus Arelius' private thoughts? Just because it's not as concise as a Buzzfeed article doesn't mean it wasn't a revolutionary piece of philosophy and literature.

Nietzsche was spot on with his critique of the stoics. Claiming to live in accordance with the natural way means either living in brutal chaos or redefining nature in your own arbitrary way. Doesn't help that "dude just ignore life's hardships" was coming from a beloved emperor with limitless wealth and power.