This is the worst poetry comp I've ever read... Its almost satire...

This is the worst poetry comp I've ever read... Its almost satire. This is like something you'd buy as a joke for your friend who says poetry is just pretentious metaphors about flowers and shit.

I'm gonna post a couple examples, please tell me if I'm just a pleb

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/27/480639265/human-or-machine-can-you-tell-who-wrote-these-poems
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

heres one

Dragonfly
Dead on the snow
How did you come so high
Did you leave your seed child
In a mountain pool
Before you died

One more

Underneath the tree on some
soft grass I sat, I

watched two happy
woodpeckers be dis-

turbed by my presence. And
why not, I thought to

myself, why
not.

This one is not that bad. I do not really like the language, but maybe that is lost in the translation. The feelings expressed are complex and thought-provoking.

Nothing wrong with these. The first one is excellent even.

explain

another example

he was walking a frozen road
in his pocket iron keys were jingling
and with his pointed shit absent-mindedly
he kicked the cylinder
of an old can
which for a few seconds rolled its cold emptiness wobbled for a while and stopped
under a sky studded with stars

defend this one

neither of these are bad and they're presumably suffering from translation, and even so the imagery is good

maybe you lack poetic sensibility OP, try going back to the english romantics and working your way up from there

the imagery isn't good
its a dead dragonfly and scared woodpeckers

please explain to me how the imagery is good. No, really

A lot of Milosz, especially his later stuff, is just straight up strange. But he has other poems I enjoy, like Greek Portrait:

My beard is thick, my eyelids half cover
My eyes, as with those who know the value
Of visible things. I keep quiet as is proper
For a man who has learned that the human heart
Holds more than speech does. I have left behind
My native land, home, and public office.
Not that I looked for profit or adventure.
I am no foreigner on board a ship.
My plain face, the face of a tax-collector,
Merchant, or soldier, makes me one of the crowd.
Nor do I refuse to pay due homage
To local gods. And I eat what others eat.
About myself, this much will suffice.

Szymborska is still better though

No one can convince you to like things you don't like. And vice versa. Maybe you should stop reading translations for a while, you're clearly not ready for it.

yeah I'm not ready for such sterling imagery as dead dragonflies and startled woodpeckers. Great response

>shit
shoe*

It is shit OP, but Veeky Forumsizens will never admit it as it makes them feel good about themselves. There is good poetry out there though, even poetry about something as simple as an authors foray into nature. Reading Longfellow is evidence of this.

Do you really not see the point of this? The contrast between the sky and the old can on the road? The mystery the keys evoke?
Try to pick a random Rupi Kaur poem (or even Longfellow), and compare them. This is so much more interesting.

its a nice-ish introduction to modern poetry though more of a starting point than anything

and Milosz is a legend

I know theres good shit out there, I wasn't expecting anyone to actually enjoy these though
lmao
>its a nice-ish introduction
okay then critique one of the poems I posted

I've never understood poetry, it's probably the most blatant form of brainletism. I mean, just string random words (usually obscure ones straight from a thesaurus) together and call it poetry.

also none of it is redpilled, ever.

>none of it is redpilled

Wrong.gif

>I've never understood poetry
>it's probably the most blatant form of brainletism
but user, if you don't understand it, maybe you're the brainlet

>but Veeky Forumsizens will never admit it as it makes them feel good about themselves.
Hahaha what?? Veeky Forums has no problem whatsoever with shitting on Rupi Kaur and a ton of modern shitty novelists. What do we have to gain from defending some random obscure poems?

>I don't understand this therefore it's dumb
Hey, calm down, Descartes.

hm not really, I mean, I could probably program a random poetry generator with some pool of obscure words and most people here would suck my cock for it like I'm Nietzsche

shut the fuck up with this subjectivist bullshit, its either good or its not by evidence

so write the program. it would be a fun experiment to see how people rate your computer-generated poems against actual poems in a blind test.

>I could probably program a random poetry generator with some pool of obscure words and most people here would suck my cock for it like I'm Nietzsche
Why don't you? Promote yourself well and you'll make some money. That webpage that couldn't be faked says that you have a high IQ, do you should be capable of doing whatever you wish to with great success.

fine, how much are you willing to pay for it? as a smart guy i want everything upfront

>just string random words (usually obscure ones straight from a thesaurus) together and call it poetry
If it's that easy, do it right now. Produce a good poem for us.
>redpilled
Oh wait, you're trolling

>Posts mensa IQ test to prove he's not a brainlet

That reminds me of npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/27/480639265/human-or-machine-can-you-tell-who-wrote-these-poems
I got 5 or 6 of them right (many months ago). Later there was a Veeky Forums thread where people recognized most of them correctly too.

Up to $20 (including shipping). But you'll have to post several poems here first, if I like them I'll buy your collection.

ok, here's an excerpt from my program, you tell me what you think (I'm sure u'll enjoy it but pretend its shit because you can't admit you're wrong)

Take heed, old geezer!
Let us dip into Midnight's fetter!
Deep sleep, deep sleep!
I've awoken from profound dream!
Those words are deep!
And more genuine than day did seem!
Deep in its suffering!
Degeneracy - deeper still than distress of the heart!
Pain squeaks: now wane!
But all desire craves eagerness!
Craves deepest, deepest eargerness!

this isn't a random poetry generator. randomness doesn't put exclamation marks at the end of every line

>That reminds me of npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/27/480639265/human-or-machine-can-you-tell-who-wrote-these-poems

I got all of them and I only read the first few lines of each, not even remotely difficult 2bh

>he is using punctuation and capital letters
AHAHAHA what a pleb
It's not 19th century anymore you backwards pseudoclassical "poet"
Are you going to write a love poem next HAHAHAHAHAHA

>can't tell the difference between randomness and probability

wew lad

There's really nothing artistically redeeming in this. There's no discernible talent.

yeah because it's poetry, what did you expect. everything is meaningless in poetry. anyone can do it

by the way, I got you all, this is actually from Nietzsche.
See ? You just proved my point, thanks for playing.

t. genius

This is a very shitty translation of Nietzsche, you pleb. Read the German or a better translation:
O Mensch! Gib acht!
Was spricht die tiefe Mitternacht?
“Ich schlief, ich schlief -
Aus tiefen Traum bin ich erwacht –
Die Welt ist tief,
Und tiefer als der Tag gedacht.
Tief ist ihr Weh –
Lust – tiefer noch als Herzeleid.
Weh spricht: Vergeh!
Doch alle Lust will Ewigkeit,
will tiefe tiefe Ewigkeit!”

And this is even considered to be sub-par poetry.

Sweety took its time to point it out, hehe

damn, Veeky Forums's getting absolutely #rekt, funny to see I can intellectually dominate anyone here.
physics/maths masterrace, poetry is for brainlets

Do you see the difference between this translation of Nietzsche's poem and the one you just posted?
O man! Take heed!
What saith deep midnight's voice indeed?
“I slept my sleep-,
“From deepest dream I've woke, and plead:-
“The world is deep,
“And deeper than the day could read.
“Deep is its woe-,
“Joy—deeper still than grief can be:
“Woe saith: Hence! Go!
“But joys all want eternity-,
“-Want deep, profound eternity!”
You translated Ewigkeit by 'eagerness', you absolute pseud. You are the one being intellectually dominated.

OP here
still waiting for someone to explain why those examples I posted are "good" for reasons other than "you just don't get it"

he still doesn't understand I purposely switched a few words to make it look genuine
I just went from "everness" to "eagerness" and it seems to be enough to bamboozle you, hehe, it's ok, not everyone can be as smart as I am.

I'm struggling to believe that this is actually randomly generated, as the theme of it is too coherent in way that is uncharacteristic of writing that I've seen that is algorithmic generated without being heavily based on a specific corpus and there's no way you came up with a program that did this within the time the thread was up.

That makes considerable sense then.

>people pretending to understand well after I admitted to bamboozling in a vain attempt to appear smart

haha, this is so funny, I love it.

I know you won't believe me, but this was legitimately my thought process. I wasn't completely sure that I was right at first and I wrote the post after reading through the thread and realizing your ruse, but it honestly wasn't surprising when this was revealed. If you have the capacity to honestly appreciate poetry and you've seen other examples of 'random' poetry, you'd understand why I was initially surprised at the idea that it was computer generated, since I was genuinely impressed at the coherence of the first half of it.

But if you seriously want to debate people of the nature of the human capacity to understand poetry and want to claim that it it all pretentious fakery, I have good reason to believe that that am the worst opponent you could have.