/cyberpunk/

Any cyberpunk books you can recommend to me, Veeky Forums? Or some author?

Neuromancer. I always found cyberpunk to be a bit of a drag because of the telegraphic language, but maybe you'll like it.

>I always found cyberpunk to be a bit of a drag because of the telegraphic language

> hasn't read Burroughs

Can't say I've read a lot of cyberpunk. But I listened to bookworm the other week and Zachary Mason was on there. Never read any of him but his new book is called Void Star and it got me curious enough to order a copy. Not here yet. Have to say that during the interview he kind of rejected the cyberpunk tag, but apparently that's what it has generally been classed as.

Ghost in the shell by Robert A. Sobiesziek
Cybercultures Reader edited by David Bell
Mondo 2000 magazine
Cyberfutures by Ziauddin Sardar and Jerome Ravetz
Ecstasy of Communication and Simulacra and Simulation by Baudrillard
Anything by Douglas Rushkoff
Heidegger on Technology

Also look up "Neon Pill" on google and the first image should be a list of cyberpunk fiction.

Hope that helps

Fiction wise, Neuromancer and Snow Crash are the only ones worth your time. Even the sprawl sequels aren't that great, and Snow Crash is an unapologetic parody of the genre. So there's really only one true cyberpunk novel.

Some good recs here, obviously the starter kit is Neuromancer and I would also recommend Pattern Recognition by the same Big G

There's also Accelerando by Stross, which is a cyberpunk/singularity novel which gets progressively more and more crazy (and I think slightly horrific too). But it's not a recommendation, rather I'm mentioning it to put it in your orbit, so to speak.

I'm not recommending it because it assumes a lot of familiarity with the vocabulary of (for want of a better phrase) "computing culture" which if you're new to cyberpunk you might find overwhelming. Stross is very full on. Also I haven't decided if it's a good novel... but it is worth the read once your body is ready.

OP, try:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

And a few others by Philip K. Dick. Has a considerable amount of Sci-fi in it, but depending on whether or not thats a deal breaker for you, it's bread and butter cyber punk.

There is also Altered Carbon.

OP, this book is fucking amazing.

This is an interesting thread.

My diary. Me.

seconded.

thanks

seconded on pattern recognition

William S. Burroughs
Listen to Alien Soundtracks and Half-Machine Lip Moves by Chrome

Taking advantage of the thread: I'm trying to remember the name of this book I read a long time ago. It's a cyberpunk dystopian novel, the protagonist is probably some kind of cop. It happens at a dystopian city. There was drugs and dream sequences. There's a very fucked up scene of a guy (maybe a soldier) fucking a child through an open wound in their neck.

You what, mate?

Neuromancer
Altered Carbon
Islands in the Net
Schismatrix
Synners
Mirrorshades (anthology)
Accelerando
Snow Crash
The Stars My Destination

Came out at the end of the first wave. Underread.

these three are part of the core reading:
Neuromancer
Software by Rudy Rucker
Vurt by Jeff Noon

Bump

Eclipse by John Shirley
Rim by Alexander Besher
Ribofunk by Paul Di Filippo

I quite like Accelerando.

Neuromancer, first few chapters
Do androids...
Altered Carbon

That's it. Snow Crash is shit.

I must be the only person on this board who hated Snow Crash. It was so absurd and cringeworthy I couldn't even finish it

Oh, well never mind. I'm blind apparently

No clue of who the author was, I suppose.

I want to read this book.

I remember it being shitty. But that scene got burned into my brain.

Predito Street Station, China Mey

meltdown by nick land

China Melville you mean?

yea, my bro read it and told me about it. He shortened it to Mey

Unrelated to the thread but I'm honestly curious if anyone here has read or considered reading his PhD dissertation/book out on International Law.

Neuromancer is good and a must but found it sort of different to read.
Count Zero was easier and almost as good.
Mona lisa override is good but I would only read it if you read the other two.

Snow crash is good and easy to read but a good introduction to Neal Stephenson.
Cryptonomicon was even better but Neal Stephenson's ending are crap ( and it's long ).
The Diamond Age, dropped it 1/3 in.

Logan's Run, meeeh okay but short, only buy it if you find it very cheap. ( Maybe not really Cyberpunk )

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Easy, short and if you haven't read PKD it's a decent start.
And sort of different idea's that are about real life hacker stories.
Ghost in the wires
Kingpin