Making arguments you yourself don't believe for a paper

>making arguments you yourself don't believe for a paper
you guys don't do this, r-right?

I believe in nothing.

I'm able to understand both sides of an argument

>both

It rounds out your viewpoint, it's even better than reading a book with a ideology different than yours.

let me rephrase:
>making up arguments you don't believe
not just playing devil's advocate. pulling what you full well know is bullshit out of thin air and owning it for the sake of the paper

I do university parliamentary debate and go to tournaments almost every weekend of the school year. I am obligated to do this all the time.

parli. lol.

Sometimes I dream that I'm reading my dream

policy debate isn't debate

as a former npt champion, i can tell you neither are debate.

>he did policy debate
>he thinks his opinion of parliamentary debate has any value

phone typo. meant npte

I had to look up what the fuck this was. I'm not American so I didn't know what the NPDA was. I now know that it's the even worse brother of APDA.

Once again, I know nothing about the NPDA but if it's anything like APDA it's bogged down by judging standards and technique that comes from cross-x formats. Call back when you win a tournament in a real format like World Schools, Australs or BP.

I did that to fucking get into university.

>he doesn't realize the power of honesty
loving every laugh

fair enough. don't know much about that. certainly no american form of debate counts

Sums up probably 90% of the posts on Veeky Forums

The problem with American forms of parliamentary debate is, at least in my opinion and what I've heard from the APDA debaters who do BP, is that it's been tainted with the aspects that made policy debate such a piece of rubbish. Things are changing though, almost all of the ivy league societies and the other decent schools in the north east focus on BP now instead of American formats.

trust me, the paper will be infinitely easier to write and better if you actually believe in your argument

The way I've done it is to take an absurd contrarian stance but as soon as I start doing research I find some solid points to anchor from and then I have a topic that's a compromise but solid ground.