Olive oil thread

Redpill me on olive oil, 4chin.
I haven't tasted real olive oil since I was 7 or 8 years old, and I'm 35 nowadays, so I remember almost nothing of how it should looks or taste.
Bought a 1L bottle of extra virgin under brand named De Cecco, Italy. Looks like a reputable manufacturer with almost 200 years of history. By studying this matter a bit I've learned that high quality virgin oil should be stored only in tin/metallic cans and very dark glass bottles. Tried it (a spoonful), has a little bit (very tiny bit) of a bitter taste with a pretty unexpected spicy kick that passes roughly 5~10 seconds after. Is this how high quality virgin oil actually should taste in general, or is this particular brand's quirks? Is De Cecco any good/worthwhile of future purchases? Again - this is the first time in more than 20 years that I've consumed extra virgin olive oil (I've been mainly only using linseed, sunflower, and rapeseed oil until this very day), so I absolutely don't know or remember anything on how it should taste in all actuality. Also - in overall is extra virgin olive oil a le memey, or absolutely worth it? OP pic absolutely related, this is exactly what I've bought.

Other urls found in this thread:

bergamopost.it/occhi-aperti/il-caso-del-falso-olio-extravergine-promossi-bocciati-e-qualche-consiglio/
buy-me.it/olio-extra-vergine-di-oliva-del-garda-dop-promo-6-bottiglie-50cl-oleariacaldera/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyszSBRDJARIsAHAqQ4p1h0VhB5EsiggSPMw3YLlqfURiDC68fNpppm4xGoaRpI4LReAhTEEaAgX7EALw_wcB
forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2016/02/10/the-olive-oil-scam-if-80-is-fake-why-do-you-keep-buying-it/#66131de1639d
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If it's bitter and spicy it just means it's "new" extra virgin ollive oil. That is, it's from this year's harvest (around october/november).
As it ages, it will become more gentle.

New oil is very strong and is usually only used in small quantities until late december.
Oil that is from last year is in no way inferior to new oil, it's different.
Two years old is crap, as by that point it will have lost flavour when all the bitterness and spicyness is long-gone in the first year.

*technically, frozen oil keeps fresh longer and mantains the properties of new oil, but close to no one really freeze his oil.

Source: southern Italian and my family produces about 50L/year (two years out of three, actually) of high quality olive oil for our own use.

I know someone who goes to house parties and steals their olive oil because it's expensive and people never notice.

I stole nice saffron one time. I’m not a good.

Still that previous Italian guy.

I know it's expensive outside producer countries, but it's worth it for the flavour.
Healthy properties are probably meme, but I'm no doctor.
Also it has a very low smoke point, and cooking it does degrade the taste.
If a recipe calls for frying with extra virgin olive oil, that is real meme. Use refined (non extravirgin) olive oil if you want some of that taste, or just whatever you've been using.

Also, rejoice fellow cu/ck/s. I know for sure Tunisia (and to a lesser extent Algeria) has been producing higher and higher quality olive oil for export, and as soon as people start realizing it's often as good as Italian it will definitely lower the market price.

amerifat here

there are two different markets in the US

the people buying italian olive oil are less informed, and think algeria and tunesia are full of dirty terrorists and can't produce good oil

the people buying algerian and tunesian oil are more informed, and tend to avoid italian oil at all costs due to fears about green dyed machine oil

since idiots outnumber informed people in the US, I don't think the price for italian oil is going down any time soon

How many kg of olives does it take to produce 50L of oil? What do you do with the olives after you press the oil out?

To reinforce your opinion, I add that trade agreements with the EU make it so that both those north african countries employ pretty much the same standards for food safety*, and that's usually much more restrictive than US market.

So yeah, good for you that the idiots don't have the price of algerian and tunisian oil rise as well.

*that is EU standards, many EU countries have additional rules

italian here, dececco is discount tier olive oil
ndo cazzo abitiii napoliii sciacquate le palle co l'olio dercazzo dei nonni

It's about 6 to 7 Kg olives -> 1 Kg oil for me, and that's typical, but it may vary depending on the type of olive. So it's roughly 300Kg of olives.
I don't deal with the remains, because we don't press our own oil. We take it to a local oil factory ( a "frantoio" in Italian). The exact deal and eventual price may vary, but the factory keeps the pressed olives and other "waste". Also if your batch is too small you're getting mixed with other producer's.

The waste is processed into many different things, ranging from animal food and fertilizers, to biogas and other industrial uses.

By your own, I think your best option is the fertilizer thing, though it's very specific because it's too high in... something I forgot that is bad for many crops.

>If it's bitter and spicy it just means it's "new" extra virgin ollive oil. That is, it's from this year's harvest. As it ages, it will become more gentle.
Is that purely a taste preference, or is one better than another (and if so, which is more preferable? Does extra virgin olive oil, unlike other, age like wine or something, becoming better with years? The bottle and manufacturer's site says it's "lifespan"/expiration longevity is roughly 18 months).

I have said it in the same reply. The first year of aging is considered to be "changing" the new oil to just a milder product, enabling heavier use, while with more years it gets worse.

you are not italian, you are Tunisian leech, confess

Peggio, sono terrone.

greek > shitalian

rivoltante
perché voi terroni ci fregate sempre con l'olio? smettetela di farci il rincaro e vendeteci quello buono

So I guess I can put my bottle of extra virgin in a fridge? Is only "cooling it up" in an upper compartment enough, or should I actually freeze it solid in a refrigerator (how to warm it up later, then? When I'll want to use it? Just let the bottle warm out in room conditions)? If I do freeze it up solid, how many times of freezing/unfreezing cycles does it take for it to go bad (or doesn't it matter at all and extra virgin olive oil can be freezed up/unfreezed as many times as you want?)? Also, my bottle was produced in October.

Also, my bottle is very obviously very dark thick glass with solid cap, so I'm wondering - are those "oil bottles made specifically for storing oil" that they sell everywhere are actually a meme? I mean, is there any point to those "oil-special bottles", or the bottle I bought this oil in will be more than enough to store it right? I put it away in a dark, dry, clean, cool shelf, so will that be enough, or should I really transfer all of it to a "special bottle for oil" after I've already opened the manufacturer's bottle one time? I really would've preferred for it to not go rancid in a manufacturer's bottle with time, as the thing wasn't very cheap in all honesty.

>Healthy properties are probably meme
I don't care about olive oil's health factor, as I consume fish oils (Omega 3) for that anyway, I bought olive simply because I've heard it's way better as a supplement to pasta (and I eat a lot of pasta) and seafood cuisine. Also, I've kept watching how Jamie Oliver constantly uses it in roughly 99.82% of all the things he cooks almost all the time, and I highly respect Jamie as a cook (met the man personally, been at his restaurants), so I've diced to try it myself after so many years. Until now I've been using only sunflower oil as a supplement for my pasta, and it kind of felt off and "not right", I'm not an Italian, and I really don't know why, but it just was. So tomorrow will be the first time I'll be cooking up nice high quality grano durum di semola with octopus ink, seaweed/kale/kelp and scallops, so I've decided to ask here first. I wonder if it goes better than before simply because I'll be using olive extra virgin instead of sunflower this time around...

>dececco is discount tier olive oil
Is that good or bad?
Also
>Italian here
proofs?

I've heard that too from many places, but is that actually a meme or worthwhile of listening? Unfortunately real Greek olive oil is super-fucking expensive in my country AND very rare, so I wonder if it's purely consumerist placebo.

I have never frozen oil for myself, that's a thing I've heard. I don't know about the possible results.
However olive oil often freezes in the fridge as well. So you get the cons of solid oil and I don't know about the pros of conservation due to low temperature.

That bottle thing I also have no Idea of. I suppose with how cheap it is here, no one cares? I don't know, my oil comes out of the factory in 3 or 5 liters metal cans, and what I buy is either very cheap from the supermarket or equivalent to mine from friends.

I do think is right in calling De Cecco cheap oil, so it might be the case that the bottle is also not ideal?

Dark glass is defnitely better than clear glass to keep from sunlight, though.

pretty bad, but you should listen that other terrone, he seems to be doing his homeworks
>proofs
posso parlare in italiano se vuoi, posso fottermi tua mamma fino a quando non squittisce pietà per l'eccessivo apporto di pene su per le sue tube di Falloppio se preferisci, posso perfino postare foto di bruschette, pajata e stramberie italiane fino a quando non mi bannano per contenuti di qualità troppo alta
but in the end of the day i guess you will have to believe me because i wont post my papers
cream doesnt go in carbonara, google spiedo bresciano that is a dish of my area

>my oil comes out of the factory in 3 or 5 liters metal cans
I have such oil on sale here, pretty expensive. Is storing it in it's tin/metallic can absolutely fine after you open it up for the first time?

>it might be the case that the bottle is also not ideal?
Well, see the OP photo and tell me. It's literally that. Very dark thick glass bottle with metallic cap that twists off and puts back on very solidly, there's also a plastic filter/dispenser in the neck.

>posso parlare in italiano se vuoi, posso fottermi tua mamma fino a quando non squittisce pietà per l'eccessivo apporto di pene su per le sue tube di Falloppio se preferisci, posso perfino postare foto di bruschette, pajata e stramberie italiane fino a quando non mi bannano per contenuti di qualità troppo alta
Anyone can do that via Google Translate these days.

i dare you to make a sentence that complex without mistakes with google
you dont have to get defensive coz you bought shitty oil, amico mio

>spiedo bresciano
That's just shashlik. Didn't know they do them in Italy, if anything. It's mainly a Caucasian and Arabian kind of cuisine contraption.

I meant since it's cheap they probably go for a cost effective solution, so it might not be also the best. But store bought comes in the same kind of bottle here too.

I believe it just ages slower until opened. It's fine, lad. Don't bulk buy more than you will use in a year, and you're ok.

also if you could read the damn label on that "italian" oil you would know that it's obtained by mixing all sort of whatever oils from all european union, which means it's trash

>you bought shitty oil

This dude says it's fine, judging by the taste I got out of it. The bottle also looks and feels very solid, and the oil is clear, with slight yellow/green tint. How is that bad, I don't get it?
If it's somehow bad, then, please, do recommend me brands which aren't "bad" or "shitty" and are considered "worthwhile" and "good"/"perfect"/"ideal"/"flawless" extra virgin oil.

>shashlik
the preparation is different, as are the spices, the kind of meat and the cooking method
but that aside yeah it's the same

Wew lad. Terrone here too, we make our own oil too *bumps fist*

>since it's cheap
It cost me roughly 14$ for that 1L bottle, if converting into Illimunati tickets. Is that too cheap for such amount, or "slightly above low tier"/"mid tier"? What pricing segments are considered "high tier"/"top tier"/"god tier"? If per 1L of oil, that is.

It literally says "grown, collected, pressed, and produced strictly in Fara San Martino region, Italy" on the bottle. Is that a good region for oil?

you should look for oil produced locally, which has "igp" indicazione geografica protetta (protected geographical indication, more or less) label on it that means it has a strong base of quality on its own
lots of olive oils are mixes of random eu olive oils which can be from anywhere, or oils produces from olives from all the eu, you should check for those specifics on the label but it's probably hard for a non italian
i dont know about oils in other countries

the bottle you posted says nothing like that tho, post your bottle

No, that's exactly same bottle. Maybe new label from a new party?

Italian oil is overpriced as fuck in your area, then.

De Cecco is around 5€/L here. 14$/L would be very pricy here.

How about trying this user's way the next time?

post the label of the bottle in your hands(front and back), de cecco hasnt made any recent jump in quality so im skeptic

Well, my country's not very close to Italy either, though. Probably added cost via transporting expenses, customs payments and etc? For export/import.

So look up if it has "igp" on it, huh? My bottle doesn't have that, so I guess I'll be looking up for that the next time I'll be picking my olive oil. It still says it was grown and produced in Fara San Martino, though.

bergamopost.it/occhi-aperti/il-caso-del-falso-olio-extravergine-promossi-bocciati-e-qualche-consiglio/
in this article they evaluated a lot of commercial oils and rated them, counterfeiting them is a big thing here because it allows a lot of money to the big producers, so there are a few tricks to bypass the rules
the article is in italian but you can look at the evaluating tabel at the end, the thumbs up in the last line are the ratings
this was from november 2016 and Monini Granfruttato extra virgin oil was rated 5/5
i dont know how easy it is to get it from where you are tho
of course locally produced oils are the best but it's very hard to get them
(take in consideration that the test of quality was merely subjective from a group of tasting experts, but still i think that's better than just a label)

Either way, you still didn't answer me on pricing tiers, guys. If De Cecco is considered "cheap, low tier oil", then which brands can be treated as "good/great/top" tiers and which price a 1L of high quality olive extra virgin should have to definitely denote it as "high quality"? What brands and prices should I be looking out for? I'm not Italian/Greek/Algerian/Tunisian, I don't live in EU or 'Murica, so I can only aim at brands available on sale in my country and prices per 500ml, 1L, 2L, and 5L.

For example, there's this 5L extra virgin oil in a tin can from a "Monastery" brand that's supposedly purely Greek olives which was produced in Messinia Kalamata, it costs roughly 285 Masonic papers. Is that too pricey per 1L, or not? Is that brand meme shit, or actually top tier oil? Greek anons can you answer? Or Italian, if you could too.

Monini is a brand available in my country and my local store. Good to know. I'll definitely look up that rating list, thank you very much. I makes things quite easier for me.

>coop is best quality/price
Communism is great.

they were also boicotting israeli products tho
well here they can vary from a cheap 4e/Lt at the market to stuff like this or even more expensive
buy-me.it/olio-extra-vergine-di-oliva-del-garda-dop-promo-6-bottiglie-50cl-oleariacaldera/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyszSBRDJARIsAHAqQ4p1h0VhB5EsiggSPMw3YLlqfURiDC68fNpppm4xGoaRpI4LReAhTEEaAgX7EALw_wcB
this has another label, the DOP (denominazione d'origine protetta, protected origin denomination) which is a cute 45e/Lt
would probably be much more expensive in burgerland
this was just a quick search, a lot of high end oil dont even tell the price on the site, you have to go there on place and talk to the guy to arrange it
a lot of it is overpriced brand bs, but you were asking how the prices are, and this is it

>De Cecco
>1 star
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU......ok.

>Monini
>Coop
These are definitely available in my country (Monini right in the closest local store, while Coop I can order online from local importer), so I guess I'll be buying only those from now on. The problem is - where to use up that 1L of De Cecco I'm left with now? Too greedy to just throw or spill it away. :\
I guess I'll use it up within a couple months, but no more from now on. Only Monini and Coop.

Also, what can you guys tell me about such over-advertised and highly marketed olive oil as Borges? This brand is literally everywhere. Is it a meme, a placebo, or actually any good?

no no dont throw it away, just because cheap doesnt mean it's poison
use it for cooking instead of raw, it will be just fine
i often buy it anyway for pan frying, dont need anything too spectacular for that
to give a better answer about price, i would say that a 10-15euro/Lt oil here would be the best without going into highend stuff, so i guess that would be 20-25 dollars for you, maybe 30 taking into consideration shipping and everything
but i use those type only for salads or for that last drop in pasta to mantecate, whatever doesnt require a cooking longer than a few seconds, otherwise it would detereorate its flavour

>extra virgin
lmao just like you guys xd

>Monini right in the closest local store, while Coop I can order online from local importer
be sure the labels dont say they are mix of olive oils or anything, i dont know how international rules work, they might scam you up just because you dont have laws forcing them to sell certified products
know nothing about this Borges oil, better wait for a spanish user for that

Over 90% of the worlds olive oil is fake. Even most professional chefs never taste the real thing. It's one of the oldest mafia rackets. Either make your own or be happy with whatever the mob lets you have.

>use it for cooking instead of raw
Is that a joke? As far as I've learned - cooking/frying with olive oil is the last thing you'll want to do because it burns up fast and produces way more cancerogenes than friggin' butter or even margarine. Besides, I never fry on any oil other sunflower to begin with, as it's the most versatile (requires little, easy to clean, doesn't burn or foam, has neutral taste, not very calorie/phat-heavy) for that.

I use it for cooking quite a bit. The only thing I don't really use it for its baking or very high temp cooking. If you're worried about carcinogens I hope your not cooking on anything with Teflon or plastic.

>Even most professional chefs never taste the real thing
...wut? Either way, how can you 'fake" olive oil to begin with? I mean, it clearly differs from sunflower, rapeseed, and linseed by color, by cooking properties, and by taste. It's one thing if you never actually tasted olive oil even once in your entire life or if you didn't study on any info regarding it, but come on. As inexperienced with is as I am, I think I can tell extra virgin oil from, say, machine oil.

that's true for deep frying, but it's ok for pan frying, that's why i specified it
of course if you burn it it will taste like shit, but the smell is already abhorrent so you cant burn it by mistake and not notice it

So you can fry/cook in it, but not high temps? So I guess simmering or adding it as ingredient while stewing is fine?

As for cooking materials - I mainly cook in a ceramic kitchenware.

a trick if you have to do fast cooking (saute or something) at a high temp pan, is to first throw the ingredient, then add the oil, instead of only oil first (which will burn)
stewing is totally fine
you can deep fry with it too but you have a small window of action, if you add too much stuff the temperature drops and your stuff gets full of oil, if you go too high you burn the oil
peanut or sunflower is much easier and forgiving

Thoughts on Spanish olive oil? That's what we get at the Walmart.

Where do you even find North African olive oil? Whole Foods?

So basically, if simmering, let ingredients produce juice first (if any) and then mix oil in so that it gets watered down and won't stick to frying surface? I see. No wonder Jamie Oliver never spills oil on a pan first, adding it to other ingredients.

Borges is supposed to be Spanish brand? This shit is literally everywhere in here, but no one said anything bad or good about it ITT, so I would like to know too. It's so heavily over-advertised on my country's TV and in stores this seriously feels like a consumerist placebo and marketing shark scam.

simmering is boiling for a long time? sorry not proficent in english
well oil is there to be a medium for heat from the pan to the food, otherwise that would be left to the water of the food (which evaporates at 100c therefor cant withstand higher temp for long), allowing you to create a crust on the food
if you add oil first it has nothing to pass the heat to, if you put - lets say - a chopped onion first it will take the impact with the bigger mass of ingredients, then you istantly add oil so you allow the heat to flow better to the ingredient
you dont have to wait for water to come out, otherwise you will just boil them
you can still add oil but in that case the role is only as a flavour and nothing more, in that case i would only add it the very last moment to preserve the taste
but im not a chef, so this mostly my experience memes

>simmering is boiling for a long time?
No, not really. It's basically slowly baking up a product in it's own juices. Like doing meat & potato ragu, or preparing paella correctly, or risotto. It's essentially evaporating excessive liquids of product's own juices until "sauce" solidifies, but not hard enough to become super sticky or drying up/frying up. Water can be added too, but simmering almost never utilizes external liquids besides just product's own.

in that case oil could be useful to create an emulsion of fat and water if the food itself isnt fatty, but if the flame is low usually there's no risk of burning the oil, also since there is water you cant burn it anyway
it's a little weaker than other oils but it's not like those can withstand a lot if you put just a drop in the pan

>redpill me
you can just stop right there and excuse yourself, fuckboy.

Well, basically, oil is being added during simmering purely only for consistence and flavoring reasons. Very rarely it's used for, well, "oiling up", so that nothing sticks or burns, as, obviously, since simmering is a process or baking a product up in it's own juices, it means there's enough liquid already as to not necessarily add oil as a anti-sticking/anti-burning additive. It's really only for flavor and consistence, in such of a particular case...and also health reasons (if you're adding Omega 3/fish oil, for example).

Borges doesn't sell olive oil in Spain to my knowledge. You wanna buy Spanish olive oil that says it's from a co-op.

I only assumed it's a Spanish brand because of this post.

No, wait, they do but I've never paid attention to it. I buy Oleoestepa and an upmarket one for eating raw.

im that user, i googled it and only got spanish sites, but i might have messed up something

The health benefits are there but people like to ignore that it's still oil, It's still massively concentrated fat, and it shouldn't be getting generously put on everything that you fry or any salad you make.

i just buy the kroger brand olive oil in the plastic jug

this is very true
would slap my own dad when he sinks everything in olive oil because muh healthy med diet, and forgets where the fuck oil is placed in the piramid

>it's still oil, it's still massively concentrated fat
It's completely herbal oil, so it's not at all same as animal fat. For one, absolute majority of herbs and vegetables known to have near zero or literally 0 calories. That's how lean this "fat" is.

>literally 0 calories
not olive oil tho

this stuff is great

ALSO make sure it's certified extra virgin olive oil (with the COOC seal)

most big name olive oil brands are fake

how autistic are you?

Poor fag coping intensifies

Tell me about msg, gmo, and organics now

If you get good local go for it bruh

Only virgins use olive oil, extra virgins.

That's what I get. America just can't stop winning.

This, but I use canola as my daily driver.

>EVERYDAY

California Olive Ranch is legit. Not amazing but it's easily found and decent quality.
forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2016/02/10/the-olive-oil-scam-if-80-is-fake-why-do-you-keep-buying-it/#66131de1639d
>Even the labels bearing the coveted "Protected Designation of Origin" or PDO stamp indicating the precise geographical origin of a particular extra virgin olive oil to ensure the quality of that region’s agricultural products, and which are subjected to more strict controls, have not escaped the illegal trend.
You can lie to yourself all you want, I'll just keep avoiding Italy.

It's one thing if you fake a brand label or a package, but you people still haven't explained how can there be a "faked" oil itself considering that it's pretty easily distinguishable from other kinds and types of oils, and not just by one factor too.

>considering that it's pretty easily distinguishable from other kinds and types of oils
Considering that a commercially relevant minority of Americans think fake cheese is real and real food is a conspiracy to make us feel dumb, I think you're confusing "logically possible in a hypothetical alternate reality" and "probable, in practice, in this reality"

I'm not a dumb 'muriphat, though. I have IQ higher than 21 points.

m8, a TABLESPOON of olive oil has over 100 calories

>extra virgin olive oil
>not extra chad olive oil

>100 calories
Plant calories which are different.

I love you guys... the sort of love the cops have to stop.

The man in your pic is Libyan, retard

That's Othello...?

Hey, Greek anons, if any of you here, what can you tell me about this one?
Is it good, is it bad? Is it fake, is it real?

Amerimutt education

I'm not 'muriphat, as I've clearly already said before. I'm on a completely different continent, even.

All of this is in the US though, because they don't give a fuck about good quality products and the market reigns supreme so they look away when the local mafia mix good european olive oil with whatever they have to adulterate it.

>Even in Italian supermarkets, the rate of fake olive oil on the shelves is estimated at 50%.

You stiil haven't answered me, people. HOW do you "fake" olive oil, especially if it's extra virgin? It has very distinctive taste, color, smell, cooking properties - how can anyone possibly unable to distinguish it from other oils?