Should i read Lord of the rings or watch it?

Should i read Lord of the rings or watch it?

Neither

neither
I can't think of a worse series

Both

Read it you fucking pleb. Don't listen to the faggots on here who will try to meme you into thinking it isn't among the most influential literary works of the last century.

brainlet detected
probably a minority too

Do you like reading?

just be quiet

You're the brainlet. I bet the only thing you read is wikipedia articles on Pynchon's works.

>Don't listen to the faggots on here who will try to meme you into thinking it isn't among the most influential literary works of the last century.
Influential in the sense that it spawned an endless progeny of garbage imitations, sure.

If you can't see by yourself that LOTR did more than just provide fodder for garbage fantasy authors, then I really can't help you.

>if you can't see the masterwork of Lord of the fucking Rings, you're just not on my level, my dude

>cynical postmodernist brainlets can't appreciate the pure-hearted beauty of Tolkien's Middle-earth
sort yourselves out

80% of the philologic humour probably flew over your head.

Both.

The books are very, very good, and hugely influential.

The films are some of the greatest ever made.

Don't be fooled by people who shit on it just for being genre. It surpasses most genre fiction entirely.

>Middle-earth
>Beautiful

although they depart from the trilogy somewhat, the extended films are among the truest book-to-film adaptations i've witnessed—if not in plot, in spirit. the score by Howard Shore cements the film's classic status, imho.

if you can handle some bulfinch-esque prose with some beautiful imagery tucked away, i would read the silmarillion and the hobbit, then watch the (extended) film trilogy, THEN read the trilogy.

but let's not get started on the hobbit films.

>The films are some of the greatest ever made.
LMFAO the absolute state of this board.
Not only tolkienfags are ignorant of literature, they also don't know what good cinema is.
>petersonposting
>the pure-hearted beauty of Tolkien's Middle-earth
I bet you masturbate to Renaissance paintings while thinking that "the craftsmanship is incredible" and that "modern art is mostly garbage".
>philologic humour
imagine being the sort of person who laughs at "philologic humour" while also sperging because others don't appreciate said """"humour""""

>I bet you masturbate to Renaissance paintings
There's nothing wrong with this.

>while thinking that "the craftsmanship is incredible" and that "modern art is mostly garbage".
Both of these are true statements

found the pseud

>reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy
>half of the first book
>still in the Shire, basically some manlet species worried about their puny affairs
>nothing in their way but some ruins and a singing immortal man
>finally, they get into Bri, Aragorn is introduced
>expect some action
>nope, just running from danger and sleeping in ruins
>Rivendell, the Fellowship is formed and begins to travel
>lots of ruins in the way, people start to talk about the good old times when humanz wuz kangz
>Moria, nothing but ruins, time to remember when dwarves wuz kangz
>Lothlórien, the fellowship talks with the elves about the humanz kangz of the past
>they go on travelling
>battle in the ruins of Amon Ren, where kangz used to be
>the first book is over
>the following books are still about the travelings of these jolly fellows through ruins and remembering the good ol' days of human kangz

indeed, beautiful place to be
lots of ruins to spot

Jesus you're thick.

The films ARE incredible. They're easily going to go down in cinema history as landmarks.

Just like the books already have.

Dislike them if you like but actually give criticism rather than sperg out just to be contrarian.

Anyone thay doesn't love tolkein is a contrarian little cock sucking faggot dick beating shit stain cunt of a human and needs to be stones to death in public

You would definitely prove that your patience is greater than mine.

fpbp

If you had to choose, I'd say read it. It's one of the few works we can definitely point to as (re)defining its genre and influencing everything that has come since.

Any Tolkien fan who truly appreciates and understands what makes the books so great knows the films are atrocious, and this is the common consensus in Tolkien scholarship circles. They won't go down in cinema history as anything except for maybe starting the trend of huge trilogy tentpole blockbusters. Please go back to /tv/.

Stop tolkein posting
Sage

both, negris

If you're a pleb, watch the films. If you're a patrician, read the books.