Anyone else think Okonomiyaki could take the world by storm...

Anyone else think Okonomiyaki could take the world by storm? I could picture trendy Okonomiyaki bars being a new food meme in places like Austin and NYC if they aren't already. I'm honestly thinking I might try to go full entrepreneur mode and do it myself.

>Cheap to make
>Tasty as fuck
>Like Pizza/burgers/every popular food ever in that you can mix and match what goes in it
>Can make it on a griddle in front of everyone for that extra level of kitchen theater

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/maps/search/Okonomiyaki /@34.0360154,-118.4588057,12.5z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It has too much mayo

then put on less

Okonomiyaki will definitely be the next big thing to come out of Japan. The biggest issue will be having people learn the name and people like
who have an aversion to trying it with mayo. Most of my friends complain about not liking mayo before trying it, but its really a necessary component.

Bonito is gross.

This is the equivalent to saying Pizza won't be successful because anchovies and banana peppers are gross.

>what is it?
>a cabbage pancake
>can i just have the pancake?

It's like an omelette-pizza-pancake with tons of bullshit on it; it's the ultimate drunk food.

what do you call that scaly shit they put on top? i had it before without that shit and really liked it. then i ordered it at another place and they added the scaly shit and i couldn't finish it, fucking disgusting

Just call it Oko. Im going to open a trendy ass restaurant that serves Oko to millenial yuppie shitters.

I can already get it in small town wisconsin, I feel like it's already a thing

Okonomiyaki is topped with okonomi sauce, mayo, bonito, and nori

I'm guessing you're referring specifically to the bonito flakes, or if you were at an upscale place it may have been katsuobushi.

If a place is going to specialize in okonomiyake, I hope they also serve takoyaki as well, that would double their revenue.
All of that is and has been a thing on the west coast. I've been eating okonomiyake for the entire decade since I moved out here. It's popularity has never waned, it's a classic. There's an izikaya near one of the places I go see concerts and shows, and I go there after every time and get okonomiyake and grilled meats on sticks.

What the fuck is it?
t.leaf

>Yo, you hear about that new Oko place on SoCo? We totally gotta go bro.

I also live in small town Wisconsin. Cheers

come visit me in mineral point :3

This is one of those things I always really wanted to try but probably never will because I don't have the tools or technical skill nor do I live in a place that would ever offer this kind of speciality food.

>grilled meats on sticks
Do tell, pls

Just the usual yakitori stuff- chicken hearts, kurobuta sausages, pork belly, beef tongue, and my guilty pleasure, chicken skin cooked with salt and butter. The make good fried stingray too, but I don't get it that often, because I fill up on okonomiyake and yakitori.

Yes! You can pretty much put anything on it, in it, and have it for breakfast lunch or dinner. It goes great with beer and sake, but any refreshing drink will do. You can make it at home with next to nothing. If you havent tried it, you must. I particularly like mine with chicken and avacado

pull up jewgle maps, look up some trendyfag city, and type in okonomaykaisjisadfi...see how many locations pop up.

here's my location:
google.com/maps/search/Okonomiyaki /@34.0360154,-118.4588057,12.5z

i used to live in the west LA area, and walked by a trendy okono bar multiple times, without ever having a desire to go in, even during those drunk nights. had ramen lots of times though. but not this. maybe i missed out, but personally didnt' see it as attractive.

That's Kewpie Mayo. Totally different mayo, and very delicious.

What are you on, user?

It’s just decent mayo with msg.

>a fucking
>pancake
looks disgusting tbqh but millennials probably would love it especially with guac

You know trying to insilt people through admitting you are a sad old sack of shi that still goes to Veeky Forums despite being middle aged is not gonna work right, gramps?

I've already seen this in Berlin at a flea market. If the okonomiyaki sauce were easier to find, it could definitely take off

We already have egg Foo young from Chinese places

It's the same shit

Is there a way to make this that doesnt involve going to the sketch-tropolis that is my local asian grocer?

No, it's not.
I eat both on a regular basis, since egg fu yung is one of my favorite Chinese dishes, and okonomiyake is on of my favorite Japanese street foods/casual foods. They're quite different. That like saying "we already have omelets, it's the same shit".

Yes and no. You could make the body of it probably (maybe) without going to an Asian grocer, but the toppings are pretty Japancentric.

What if I use the base as a vehicle to get not japan foods inside me? Like say, a pulled pork Okonomiyaki with the porks bbq and some raw onion/pepper on top? Is it still weeb food or have I Americaned a pancake with pork in it?

Go to the Asian grocery store or make something that taste like shit

okonomiya**KI**

Don't stint the katsuobushi

fuck that hurt to read

Okonomiyaki is basically leftover stuff so you can put in whatever you desire.

It's made with rice vinegar and dashi seasoning

The wriggly bits on top weirded me out

>it's made with a different kind of vinegar than vinegar
>msg seasoning
thanks dipshit

kek'd

I look forward to the Netflix film about some book who dedicated his life to making this shit

>dashi
>msg
Pick one

>it's the ultimate drunk food.
Murtabak would like a word.

Please, the only reason you like it is that it's covered in mayonnaise and worcestershire sauce.

If you're thinking cartoons, a good 25% of this show includes an okonomiyaka chef/tomboy who owns her own establishment despite being a teenager. And tits, lots of tits and fetishes.

If it's so cheap, just rename it

>economiyaki

Millennials lap that shit up, being all querky and all.

Or just open a decent French crepe shop, serving only peng savoury crepe.

>Or just open a decent French crepe shop, serving only peng savoury crepe.
There's one in the mall of america. It's pretty damned good and I'm surprised as to how skilled a little kiosk-like hole can be.

A savory cabbage pancakes with mayo topping. They're delicious.
t. Weeaboo

>economiyaki
As if the average member of public can hold more than four syllables in their heads, let alone six

I'm puzzled that hibachi is fairly common in the US, but okonomiyaki isn't.

If I were more ambitious I'd move to Osaka, learn the trade, and open up a place.

But I'm very much not ambitious. And I like Shizuoka way more than Osaka.

Jesus that's a lot of flakes

They went pretty hard, yeah.

My favorite on my recent trip was this one, though. Definitely the highest cabbage to batter ratio.

anime board is down the corridor

Does that mean that French food belongs on /co/?

Um ok.

no. French food can stay.

I hate weebs and their disgusting weeb food...

It's a cabbage fritter no?

>All vinegar taste the same
How to spot the poor white person who only has ever had white vinegar

Would love to have a bunch of fast food joints serving Takoyaki
and Okonomiyaki instead of these fucking Döner places everywhere.

Also any variation of Ramen eateries.

I made this for dinner last night after seeing this thread. Didn't have access to the sauce ofc but I approximated one from mayo, worcestershire sauce and Japanese soy, idk how it would hold up to the real thing but I liked it. It was an absolute bitch to flip in the pan though, I may have overdone it on the cabbage. Overall it was quick, filling and made with stuff that I usually have at home, 8/10.

Oosaka is for the best Takoyaki.
Hiroshima is where the best Okonomiyaki is.