Fried rice help

I can't for the life of me make fried rice like they do at the restaurants. What am I doing wrong? I tried using MSG and vinegar this time instead of just salt, and I made sure not to cook too much in the pan at a time. Everything turned out fine texture-wise, the taste is just bland. Usually the peas overwhelm the taste of everything, so I guess first step is to use less of those, but what else do I need to do to get that rich flavor?

I use vegetable oil to start and then add sesame oil towards the end for taste, by the way.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IZEyKAl9v78
youtu.be/UzbRwICWODk
youtube.com/watch?v=NHRudxFOvcg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
thespruce.com/smoking-points-of-fats-and-oils-1328753
souschef.co.uk/artisan-soy-sauce-jas-nature-japan-organic.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Secret ingredient is "cat butter", a type of lard made from cats.

Ask for it at your local Asian grocer.

Try using Chinese 5 Spice or Asian Spices to 'add flavor' ...shake spices (to taste) onto your cooked rice as you add other ingredients also add soy sauce. Don't use MSG yuck! That should do the trick!

I have no idea what fried rice taste like over there but you just need more things with flavours. Add garlic, chili, some stock with the rice and a dash of light soy sauce. It should come out tasting at least something that way.

we just had this thread earlier. if your cooked rice has too much moisture, it won't absorb other flavors. seasoning should just be w/e oil, salt, black pepper, some white pepper powder, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
youtube.com/watch?v=IZEyKAl9v78

Monitoring thread for tips, just got a big ass wok.

What kind of rice do you use? Jasmine over basmati makes it a lot better imo. Do you have a wok?

It needs a small amount of sugar as well. All restaurants use sugar.

>Don't use MSG yuck!
That's what the restaurants use my dude.

You're welcome.
youtu.be/UzbRwICWODk

What temperature is your oil when you start?

What kind of oil are you using? I think Asian places use peanut or sunflower oil.

This is the only way

youtube.com/watch?v=NHRudxFOvcg

Anyone else tells you different, they're assholes. MSG doesn't do a fucking thing, its torching the ingredients. Most assholes thing fire doesn't create flavour.

And why is that? Because the breakdown/smoke point is so high. If you need that, you need retarded levels of heat to begin with.

>mince 2 cloves garlic
>beat 2 eggs in a bowl
>slice 1 carrot into thin rounds
>heat quite a lot of oil in wok
>fry prawns/ meat/ tofu & remove (or nothing)
>fry carrot until soft (will deglaze the pan to an extent)
>add garlic, fry very quickly, do not burn it or even brown it much
>add day old jasmine rice (not too much of it), broken up with your fingers already
>toss
>add 1/2tsp sugar, little salt and soy sauce
>keep moving it and fry for a while
>move to the side of the wok, add more oil to empty space, scramble egg in that space, then mix into rice when it's scrambled (chinese style)
>OR pour beaten eggs over rice very near the end (japanese style)
>add frozen peas
>cook until peas are soft, keep moving, taste for seasoning, add more salt/ soy/ sugar as needed and add sesame oil

>tips
keep moving it
use more oil
taste for seasoning, balance to taste
high heat
cook small portion to keep heat high
experiment with the rice you use

I hate that you have to cook small portions, what if you are making it for many people?

>japanese
DROPPED

OP here, thanks for the tips. My oil's not fuck-you hot, but hot enough to sizzle loudly when I drop the chicken in and keep the heat. I added lots of garlic, but it didn't do much good. I'll tweak a few things for next time.

Sounds good.

We all make our asiany dishes that resemble a real wok dish, but they aren't.

¾ of a vermicelli container

3 eggs beaten with 2 shakes of curry powder and some pepper cook first with some oil

½ cup red bell pepper
½ cup onion sliced

4 tbsp olive oil
1 to 2 tbsp of chili sauce
1 tbsp curry powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp turmeric
1tsp ginger
2tbsp soy sauce

cook eggs first and reserve
put oil mixture in hot pan and stirfy veg
add vermicelli and mix
add eggs

Real Fried rice is done on a 32billion BTU gas drive with a circle to fit a wok that can take 600 degrees.

The soy sauce need to be sweetened. With that and a small amount of chicken stock you shouldn't need to add salt or msg. Are you using minced onions?

Forgot I had a rice recipe for you too.

Making Rice

2 Cups of Basmati Rice (Costco has great bulk rice)
3 Cups of water
salt in water if you want

Rinse rice in cold water in strainer/sieve for 1 minute or until the water runs clear. Boil 3 cups of water and place rice in pot. High heat until it boils reduce to gentle simmer (low heat) and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes and turn off the element. Let it rest for 15 on the element. Don’t lift the lid. Fluff rice and place in a container for overnight storage in the fridge. All fried rice requires day old rice at least.

Making the Egg for fried rice.

4 eggs
3 shakes of McCormick Curry powder
4 twists of fresh ground pepper

Beat eggs in a bowl, heat a nonstick frypan with a small amount of olive oil to coat. Scramble the eggs to done, not overcooked and reserve.

Making the Fried Rice:

2 cups of frozen veg thawed.
Rice from previous stage
Curried scrambled egg from previous stage
One ½ onion medium diced

Curry Paste:

3 tbsp olive oil
1 to 2 tbsp of chili garlic sauce
1 tbsp curry powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp turmeric
1tsp ginger
2tbsp soy sauce

Take day old rice and pour 3 tbsp of olive oil or canola in its container and mix well. Coat the entire batch lightly. Put a small coating amount of oil in a big pan or wok and heat to high. Toss in the onion and leave it to brown. Toss it. Then add the rice and fry until warm, 2 minutes. Add veg and stir fry. Slowly add the curry paste and mix vigorously until uniform. Add the egg at the end and stir gently.

you can, put it's not going to be very good on a home stove with a big amount. Cook a few dishes and give everyone a small bowl of fried rice.

One option i've been thinking about to get the Wok Hei (breath of the wok) and cook big portions is i saw a huge industrial wok burner at a kitchen supplies shop in chinatown for quite cheap, and im thinking about getting it and just using it outside with a gas bottle.

What pisses me off is Americans will buy giant turkey cookers, but wouldn't piss on a wok ring that would pay off for 12 months a year.

it doesn't really piss me off which outdoor kitchen paraphernalia american's are or aren't prepared to buy but i think personally a 1 million btu wok ring for outside would be pretty neat

Like i have a gas stove, and it's not piss weak, but i don't use my wok to make meat stirfries, i'll use a copper/ stainless saute pan for that because it gets hotter. I can heat my saute pan, add oil & meat, toss and it will catch on fire. That fire taste is amazing on meat. Just can't get it with a big wok. I only really use my wok for stirfried chinese vegetables/ deep frying & fried noodle/ rice dishes

the only problem is you're tasting the maillard effect not the 'fire'. Fire tastes like 'burnt', maillard reaction tastes like delicious.

does anyone on Veeky Forums have a legit wok setup?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

You can even ask Alton Brown. The non chef.

you might be able to set one up with a flat bottom steel wok and a viking stove. Who here can afford that?

I already suggested a cheap way ITT that i think will be pretty good, that's more what i was talking about.

Yeah, i wasn't being literal, but there is a distinction between mallard effect and wok hei. The flavour of wok hei is kind of singey or smokey as it's caused by ignition of the oil on the surface of food

I used minced garlic and green onion.

maillard plus?

I want to argue but I don't disagree. It's burnt soy and it's great.

>mallard plus?
yeah... alright ill accept that

It's smokey delicious. Everyone loves it, and it's nearly only created by a 600F wok.

Is butter ever used when initially frying the rice instead of oil? There's a local place that has rice that tastes like butter without the greasiness/fattiness.

What do you think?

thespruce.com/smoking-points-of-fats-and-oils-1328753

>ITT: fucking white people

Not all white people here, dipshit. Stop trying to find a simple rip for your shitty internet life.

Yes, so?
Teach your masters to make fried rice then.

don't talk to his mistake. This is how you need to treat the new internet. Everyone is a troll. Don't talk to errors.

I can approximate it with a small amount of already cooked meat, my reasonable gas stove, and a medium copper/ stainless saute pan.

Say with leftover cooked chicken/ pork/ beef, ill make a sauce from sugar, lao gan ma, mirin & soy, ill heat the pan up for a long time, add some peanut oil (which immediately begins smoking), add the meat, toss it (it catches fire), add the sauce (and keep tossing and stirring over the flame for about 30seconds. Eat on rice with some toasted sesame seeds on top.

It doesn't work with uncooked meat, or vegetables, which both add too much moisture and cool the pan down, or a larger pan. But it does imo have a similiar wok hei taste to restaurant chinese food, because you get those flames and the really high heat. Fuck i actually like this dish more than nearly all roast meats that preclude it.

no but you can add it near the end like sesame oil as a seasoning, or use ghee

haha and? I'll make and eat whatever food i want cunt

You're making me taste a braised mirin duck in my head. Jesus dude. In Rice.

That tasted great in my head.

goddamn i love duck, when those motherfuckers are trying to steal my food at the beach, next to some fire pits they don't realise what thin fucking ice they're on

oyster sauce

OP again
I just added some soy sauce and now it tastes fuckin good. Guess MSG and salt do two different things.

Don’t forget to add ginger

Impossible without the wok and high as fuck heat

Soy sauce is more than just salt. You probably still need more spices though.

I use a carbon steel wok over a propane turkey cooker and it produces the smoky flavor that you're probably looking for. The key is to get the level of soy sauce right and to cook it at the right heat level. Too little, and you get no flavor, too much, and the smoky taste is almost overpowering. With practice, you'll get it right, but shit cooks fast in a wok with that kind of heat source, so it's easy to overcook shit if you're not careful.

I have not been able to get the same results inside using a stainless skillet, but I hear cast iron can come pretty close.

>Smoky flavored rice rice
wtf man.
you dont need a damn wok to make god-tier fried rice. the smoky flavor should come from the type of meat you use depending on whether or not you use charsiu.

>smoky flavor should come from the type of meat you use
Nope.
It comes from a seasoned wok, droplets of oil encountering the high heat of a burner as the food is tossed, and the flavor of soy sauce as it coats the rice and gets cooked at just the right temp.

Different oils have different flavors.

fried rice doesn't even need a smoky flavor. i think you're a goober.
I just cook fried rice in a nonstick pan over high heat on a gas burner.
I think good soy sauce and cooking oil is the key to a good tasting fried rice. I dont believe in the wok meme.

see 'wok hei'

>nonstick pan
>high heat
pick 1

>I dont believe in the wok meme.
Opinion discarded.

Have you had fried rice from a decent chinese place before? I'm sure what you do isn't bad, but it won't be as good as that.

Your missing the oyster sauce. Oyster sauce makes fucking fried rice divine man!

i could probably make fried rice as good as you guys do without the wok.
i've already figured out the secret, and it isn't a wok.

it's really just good soy sauce desu. you're obviously looking for a smoky or crispy bite to your fried rice, i'm looking for a rich and savory fried rice.
one that hits your mouth like a stew.
i've had some great fried rice at chinese places, but i make better stuff at home desu.
>pic related
if it looks extra oily its because i finished it with some chili oil.
this is probably the best fried rice i've made, and ofcourse i made it without a wok. the key to why it's so good is the ingredients really.
it can work, but maybe i should invest in something different so i dont fuck up my pan overtime.

this pic angers me. there is no way to eat that with chopsticks unless you're a shonen character. dumb kenji

That's a really really bad photo

Consensus every time we have these threads: you will never be able to make it taste like the restaurants, because they cook it in the same woks where they cook all their meat, so you're getting flavor from literally everything that's been cooked in the wok.

Looks pretty good, but too oily yeah.
Teflon is carcinogenic when it gets very hot.
What soy sauce do you use? Kikkoman here.

>mine is better
I guess that's the thing about a dish like this, you make it with leftovers and you make it how you like it. It's not something to get anal and autistic about. I will anyway though.

>Consensus
ahahahahhaha are you lost?

>he cant eat rice with chopsticks

i use this but i get mine at a much cheaper price
souschef.co.uk/artisan-soy-sauce-jas-nature-japan-organic.html

kikkoman really is a bad flavor for soy sauce. i highly recommend getting some good stuff because it will have a more complex flavor

$100 per litre

Go to a hibachi place and watch what they do.
Don't use too much oil, and wait a little bit before adding soy sauce and butter.

>learning fried rice from nips
might as well learn how to make 'curry' from them too

i was just reading a fried rice thread from the archive and the op is the same?
op who are you and why do you do this

Go with asian jibberjabber. That makes sense to people. It hobostacticus gondi! Not carbonized whatever the fuck.

It's heeboo stinkfactor! Fucking grow up. Use western words to talk to western people and stop being a gaping asshole. Explain it scientifically or shut the fuck up.

Lmao is this bait?
I did actually explain what it means ITT and these is no equivalent English phrase. You're also welcome to google it and educate yourself.
Do you require an Alternate English word for other things in Asian cuisine, like tofu, bok choy, tea or wok? Are those words too confusing for you?
Do loanwords from other places like kindergarten and taco also trigger you?

Fucking nuke the US already

I'm sure your version of carbonized wok is not jibber jabber. hehehhe. Sorry, but your shit is just wok hei!

It's like the divine wind.

Are you alright?

keep it up.

There is no secret ingredient or method. Throw in an egg with whatever leftover is in the fridge;sausage and frozen peas here. Sprinkle in as much salt/msg and sugar to fit your taste. Dad taught me to use day old/dried rice-its marginally better- but the most important thing is just getting high heat before tossing it in and flipping it a lot.

is right, made this in a pot over an electric stove after seeing this thread and it gave me a hankering. You will never get the same taste as the restaurant because the sauce they use is different than yours but it doesn't mean you can't make good fried rice.

Fish sauce and soysauce taste different. If you're OP thats probably why it taste bland, fish sauce is a lot stronger than soysauce. You can try and ask the restaurant to be sure. Personally I like the 3crab brand.

>Fucking nuke the US already
How about you just stay off of our websites so you don't get triggered instead, cupcake.

I would add green onions with the carrots. Use BROWN sugar!

I find a bit of left over gravy or broth can help along with the soy sauce and other ingredients.

Half-chink here.
As a reminder, fried rice is leftover food for the chinks. It's nice but nothing too fancy nor over complicated.
This is how my mom makes fried rice, home style:
>Lots of oil. Chinks love peanut oil (even though they don't use that in restaurants because peanut oil is too expensive for massive use)
>Egg is extremely important
>Soy sauce OR MSG. If you don't want it too salty, use a bit of MSG. Chinks in China use a lot of soy sauce in their fried rice, hence why they are brown. White fried rice is more of a Cantonese thing, thus add MSG or flavored oil (from stir frying meat or seafood)
>Peas/carrots are not mandatory at all, so are the other ingredients. They are bonuses that contribute to more different flavors but they are not part of the base "chinese fried rice" flavor.

That's the basic home style fried rice for you.
Once again, oil is key here. The Chinks even have a special adjective describing the taste of oil which is both savory/delicious/fragrant and oily (xiang). It's very positive to them. People would gift jugs of peanut oil for Chinese New Year to family members.

as i thought the wok was a fucking meme.
this threads full of goobers using woks to make subpar fried rice.

Not him but I’m asian and I can confirm this. My mother say that fried rice is better and easier when done with old rice, particularly after they’ve been in the fridge, compared to freshly cooked rice.

We don't even own one. Wok makes things easier for sure, especially if you make a big batch of them. But for a serving of 2-3, any good pan should do the job, as long as it allows you to stir fry and move without pushing the rice out of the edges.

>peas
There is perhaps your answer right there
Lived in Japan for ten years. They season heavily with white pepper and it's just heaven beside a good bowl of ramen.

>like they do at the restaurants
Forget about it. They boil it before hand (the previous day most likely) and leave it in the fridge for the night. That's how chinks do it. Then on the next day the fry the shit out of it with lots of oil. This is garbage. Rice is good only while it's hot or warm. They kill the shit out of it as a food right from the start. And then soak it in oil and spices to cover that. Most chinks' ''cooks'' I've seen on youtube don't even boil it right.

It's very simple OP but there are finer nuances like the heat, the rice, the room temperature and moisture where you cook, the amount of oil, all can bring the final meal a bit different every time.

>This is garbage. Rice is good only while it's hot or warm.
Restaurants only use garbage quality rice anyway. And nobody would use premium rice for fried rice, except if it's leftover and they don't really have any other choice.

This is how to make rice.
- have a pan (mine are teflon tefal and ceramic one, don't know about cast iron etc) and a cover for it
- put the pot on heat and put a little cooking oil in it (maybe 3-4 teaspoons, not sure i measure on sight) but definitely notice a little
- leave the oil to heat
- have about a tea cup of rice (~200g?)
- have hot water to clean the rice in
- wash it 2 or 3 times
- put it on a plate without any water to let it air and dry
- 5-10 minutes should be enough for it to dry in room temperature
- now make sure the oil in the pan is REALLY HOT - I mean liquid like (assuming it was a bit dense when you first put it in the pan)
- if it is turn DOWN the heat to min and pour the rice in it
- stir for about 20 minutes on LOW heat until the rice becomes semi transparent (before it begins to colour orange like, don't burn it)
- prepare water in another utensil, 2-3 times the amount of rice, let it boil on heat
- if you stirred it all the time you may eventually notice the rice changed a little, stirring it will feel different to you than in it did in the beginning
- when the water is boiling add a bit of salt
- and pour the water into the pan with the rice
- now COVER (close) the pan and leave the rice to boil in it on LOW heat for about half an hour
- do NOT open the pan, let the steam stay inside even after it is cooked
- after the 30 minutes, turn off the heat and leave the pan alone for another 30* minutes - keep the steam inside
after that you can finally take the cover from the pan and enjoy your fresh rice meal
tomato juice goes extremely well with it (but it would depend on where you get it from / how it's made i guess)

AGAIN I can't emphasise enough - leave the pot covered the whole time even after it's cooked.

It is would be also very good if you have some wool or hard cotton rag to put on the cover of the pan while it's cooking and to wrap it around the pan when it's done.
* if you have one, you can leave it for 1h

the 'frying' part in is for the rise to not stick in the end when you eat it
this is the same reason for the long leaving it alone covered with the steam inside

>* if you have one, you can leave it for 1h
(char limit) I mean if you have some wool cloth to wrap the pan in, you can leave it for an hour and after that it should still be hot or at least well warm

basically:
>stir rice on low heat with very little cooking oil (because in the end you'll eat it and it makes rice hard to eat but with no oil it would stick and boiling would be hard because water bubbles move the cover)
>boil water, add salt in it
>when rice is ready pour the water in it
>cover and leave on low for 30
>take of heat, and leave for another 30 or more

>as i thought the wok was a fucking meme.
>i like things falling out of the pan
portionlet detected

>i like things falling out of the pan
i use a deep pan to stir fry with dipshit.
it's deep enough to deep fry things in.
get you're meme ass wok out of here, completely unnecessary to make godlike fried rice.

Thanks for the detail, but in simple terms - fry rice (as instructed), then add in salt and water, cover the pan and cook on low for 30 minutes then serve?

Strange to me as I thought you'd cook the rice in water before frying it

#
>Strange to me as I thought you'd cook the rice in water before frying it
this is consensus and it is very disrespectful towards that food. it's like having something nice and throwing it in the garbage. i ordered rice in popular overall nice food place here and i got just that - preboiled (from the day before) super oily fried ~rice~ and that's how they do it everywhere, watch any chinese cooking video, what saves them is the seasoning

#
>in simple terms - fry rice (as instructed), >then add in salt and water,
salt goes in the water when the water is boiling, then it all goes in the rice pot
>cover the pan and cook on low for 30 minutes
yes
>then serve?
leave for another 30 (or 1h if have wool cloth) after it's cooked, else steam will just go to waste and it may be sticky like but not in a good way

so
fry rice (as instructed), then add in salted water, cover the pan and cook on low for 30 minutes, then leave alone for another 30 mins (to rest) and serve
i have it with tomato but it's home made, you'll have to come up with your own to add to it ^^

>Olive oil

What the fuck?

You need to Rinse rice at first....

You'll never make it like the restaurant because they use the old oil from other dishes for flavoring, and also leftover rice