Short Story Collections

Post your favorite short story collections or recommend some to others. Pic related.

A Schoolboy's Diary by Robert Walser

welcome to the monkey house

Some of the best I've read this year:
Finding a Girl in America
Collected Short Stories of Katherine Mansfield
The Moons of Jupiter
Nine Stories
The Celestial Railroad and other Stories
Where I'm Calling From
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice: Tales and Conjurations
Some all time favorites:
Any of the Bantam 50 Greats (50 Great Short Stories; 50 Great American Shorts, etc.) edited by Milton Crane
Great American Short Stories edited by Burton Raffel

One more I picked up on accident but ended up enjoying more than I expected: Unicorn Variations. The sci-fi was pretty good as far as that went, but he introduced how he wrote them all, which was often more interesting than the stories themselves.

Also, what's the best Munro Compliation? Alice Munro's Best? Vintage Munro seems pretty skimpy.

Short Stories of Vladimir Nabokov

Brief Interviews With Hideous Men

Wow. Some broad sure likes Flannery O'Connor around here.

Spotted the newfag. Mama Flan Flan has been Veeky Forums'a official queen for years now. She's about the only female writer whom all of Veeky Forums agrees is based

I'm not new, I've been here for 2 whole days. What's her best story?

A Good Man is Hard to Find is her most popular. But I personally like The Life You Save May Be Your Own and Everything That Rises Must Converge

The other day I recommended The Germanium and Parker's Back as two good bookends to her career. They're not her best work, but they demonstrate her philosophy well.

I haven't read any Flannery O'Connor yet by damn, that woman knew how to title a story.

>nu Veeky Forums defends female authors
Fuck. /pol/ was right.

Fucking brilliant stuff in here.

thanks for actually reading things before you post user. how was that collection of Katherine Mansfield? have you read her other books?

I read 'Selected Stories' by Munro and really enjoyed it but that doesn't say much. I'm not sure you can go wrong, she's a quality writer.

I read a few collections of Henry Lawson's short stories every year, but only because I'm Australian. He's one of the two truly seminal writers of the country. Most of his stories are about hard characters with a heart of gold living in extreme conditions in the early colonial days here. Hemmmdog Millionway was a big fan.

Forty Stories by Anton Chekhov

Cortázar's short stories don't get as much love as Rayuela in this board for some reason, but they are far superior.

On a related note, has anyone read Hamsun's short fiction? If so, how well does it hold up to his novels?

The Mansfield collection is good. She's not my favorite author by any stretch, but none of the stories were bad. People mock Wordsworth for their covers, but for English authors you can't go wrong - got all of Mansfield's shorts together for a few dollars.

Cheever

>implying Flanner O'Connor could even be classified as a 'female' author

She was female only insomuch as she was a woman. Her disdain for modernity, feminism, and liberalism was on full display throughout her entire career.

Like I said before, O'Connor has always been loved here on Veeky Forums and I've been here since the board was created.

A couple of other great short story collections:
>The Best of Gene Wolfe
>The Man who Made Models-R.A. Lafferty Short story collection 1 (and all subsequent collections)
>Dubliners-James Joyce
>Go Down, Moses-William Faulkner (this is a series of interconnected short stories, which can be read as a novel, with each story being able to function as a separate story)

last evenings on earth by bolano

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver
Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor
Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa
In the Heart of the Heart of the Country by William Gass
Go Down, Moses by William Faulkner
Dubliners by James Joyce

Would be my favorites.

>being new
O'Connor has always been popular around here. Her, Woolf and George Eliot are probably the most widely discussed woman writers on this board.

cathedral by raymond carver and blow-up by cortazar are some recent favorites

Vonnegut is pretty uneven but this is very, very good

Cathedral was very good when I read it for American Lit. The Swimmer by John Cheever also stood out to me in that class.

Cortázar's name only shows up when someone (most probably an hispanic) rambles about how overrated Rayuela and Cortázar are.
But yeah, his short stories are far better than Rayuela. I can't say the same about his other nvels because i haven't read them.

Does this count?

Seconding all of these.

My favourite are the folk tales from Gogol, Chekov on love, Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories and Everything That Rises Must Converge.

Winston or Combiner, which one are you?