Coffee thread

Discuss methods, recipes, and ask questions.

Just got a V60. Anyone have some cool recipes?

I got a cool recipe
>grind coffee
>pour 212F water

>he burns his beans
tch

>datadog
hello fellow /g/ crossposter

I need to get a kettle that can hold 192

Anyone try Death Wish coffee or alternatives?

I have this and love it.

You can only make a good pour with a good grind. Get a good grinder.

I just switched back from a manual burr grinder to my good old $10 blade grinder, I was sick of spending 3-4 minutes grinding beans every morning when I could be done in 16 seconds.
The coffee doesn't even taste that different to make the effort worth it.

THis is how you fuck up coffee. But fuck it up all you want because you enjoy that garbage.

>shitty non-E61 'portafilter'
>shitty plastic scoop
>dollars to donuts using a pressurized filter basket

pretending to give 'advice' about coffee

Why don't you just buy an electric burr grinder, faggot. Switching back to a blade grinder is stupid.

fuck up how, exactly?
the only difference is more variance in grind size which can be kept to a minimum if I pulse instead of holding it down.

I wouldn't use a blade grinder to for espresso, but I don't have an espresso machine anyway.

i just got a french press yesterday.
i feel all elegant and shit.

My favourite.

Of all the things to criticize, you choose his scoop? Who gives a shit as long as it transports the correct amount of coffee from the source to the destination?

>used to be a major advocate of aeropress
>bought a one-cup french press
>never looked back

I like using a siphon.

You can't justify the amount of cleaning these shits actually require.
They're entirely for impressing retards at coffee shops.

Piece of shit scoop with built in tamper meant for Starbucks brand pregeound coffee.

It's no more than cleaning a couple glasses?

Again, who gives a shit as long as the coffee stays in the scoop between points A and B?

>he doesnt pick his own beans
Wow, stop pretending you can give criticism.

I'm not that guy (read; snob) but the presence of a scoop would indicate that user isn't grinding directly into his portafilter and is likely using preground coffee, which is a faux pas for coffee enthusiasts (read; snobs).

Is it ok to sift coarse coffee grinds on a strainer to get rid of the fines?

Grinding before brewing is the single biggest upgrade you can make to your coffee game, you make it sound like a needless additional step unlike every other coffee meme
>prewarming your mug
>prerinsing your filter
>measuring water temperature
>weighing grounds
>weighing the water
>setting your coffee device as tare on a goddamn scale

I was under the impression that most grinders dispensed into detachable reservoirs, making scoops a pretty useful tool.

Not if u own an espresso grinder. If you are making espresso with a grinder that doesn’t at least come stock with a portafilter holder you are doing it wrong

>used moka pot
>coffee came out tasting burnt

What did I do wrong?

>left on a low flame, but it took over 10 minutes before there was even any hissing sound.
-Assumed I put it on way too low of a flame so put it up slightly higher
>now there's hissing after 3 more minutes
>coffee starts coming up, very very slowly
>way too slowly
>turn up heat slightly again and coffee starts shooting up rapidly
>oh no, must be too hot now
>take off flame asap and pour coffee into mug
>tastes burnt
>milk won't even fix burnt taste

You fucked up the process long before you got it right. Try it again using what you learned.

If the flame is still on while you hear gurgling, you've already burnt the coffee.

Also, moka pots require seasoning in much the same way as cast iron pots, you're supposed to use it daily so the coffee oils polymerize against the surface and create a nice protective barrier from the aluminum that mars the taste of the coffee.

Says who? Some nobody fagtron who has a branch up his ass. Kys

You're that worthless dumb type of cunt. You don't really research bean, pressure, extraction rate.

You're just some dumb cunt. Why do you human filth love to pretend? You really just don't do anything in life but pretend.

Then what do I do? Should I put it on a high flame and turn it off as soon as I hear hissing?

You think the scoop you use has more of an effect on the final product than the consistency and quality of the grind itself? You're not the coffee guru you think you are, m8.

Put only the bottom half on the stove and wait till the water starts to bubble (i.e is just about to boil).

Then using a kitchen towel or an oven mitt to avoid getting burnt, add the coffee basket and screw the top half on and lower the heat and wait for the coffee to slowly come out.

Remove from the heat when the stream of coffee coming out of the valve turns from a slow dark brown stream to light brown bubbles.

The people on this site are shut ins. They love their little toys. They're essentially adult children.

You use their toys or you're a bad parent. Treat them like babbies and they'll love you.

Boil it to 210 and let it cool down.

It does not matter what you scoop your beans with.

I use my aeropress when I'm looking for non sedimenty coffee. I love my french press, but that last cup always has some good sludge in it.

The funny fucking thing is, it was unpressurized, and you were too fucking stupid not to know it. It was a full filter you stupid stupid fuck up.

>Also, moka pots require seasoning in much the same way as cast iron pots
Or you can just buy a quality Moka pot from Bialetti.

I don't like how you capitalized the brand name and the former trademark name.
Fuck off marketer.

Pre boil your water, cook on medium like a 6
Have a wet towel ready to put the pot on
Wait till the top part is mostly full then remove from heat and place on wet towel. The coffee will continue going up the siphon.

The burnt taste is literally that, your moka pot started cooking the coffee. Like others said, if it's on the heat and you hear it gurgle, you've already burnt the cup.

Aluminium moka pots require seasoning regardless of brand. Stainless steel ones not as much.

t. bialetti owner

See, asshole? You don't know a fucking thing about coffee. Stop talking to normal people.

He's a retard, but to be fair the guy he was quoting posted some pretty shit-tier gear.

So you just "retired" right? Why do you people not just use a captive bolt gun?

You're too stupid to live here.

Stop samefagging

It's the dumbest hill to die on. I'm gonna go to bed, these weird homunculi versions of people can just ooze around like worms.

>can't afford a proper espresso machine

Ok, shitlips, what's a proper espresso machine, a proper espresso extraction? You don't have a fucking clue, do you? You're like talking to a wet dildo, right?

>cannot into presaturated groupheads or AT LEAST an E-61
>cannot into double boiler or HX
>cannot even into naked portafilter to identify quality and eveness of shot
>talks about proper espresso extraction

you're a caricature

what segment of the movie does rorschach say "you're locked in here with me"

the fuck is wrong with you?

The last espresso I had from my machine was deep, rich and not some cunt version of your concern.

Do you understand a rich extraction? Not much caffeine not anything, but it tastes like a lovely, nutty cup.

So you take your shit to some lab and tell them they fucked up.

>muh subjective opinion
some people are happier riding a rusty bicycle with deflated tyres but that's still not a better vehicle OR a better ride than a Mercedes.

like a dumb cunt like you knows the difference.

>ad hominem
Enjoy your shitty coffee, pleb. I bet you don't even grind your own

You're so fucking stupid. I grind shitty lavazza oros in a smart grinder, that you can't afford. It's still dark, rich and with a high pressure extraction is great. Most of you stupid assholes would use illy or something else. I don't care. You're poverty assholes.

Good job, you managed to make me angry with the lavazza oros beans part but fortunately I knew you were trolling when you mentioned the smart grinder. I almost fell for that

I just love watching you people have your shit fit. Watching dirt people freak out is like watching what the next group of green barets are going to have to attack.

It's a good grinder, you dipshit. it's stainless, but you wouldn't know the difference between that and a ceramic burr grinder.

just so you know. you're a fuck up.

Wait, you're serious? You really actually bought this heaping pile of shit? Is it because you fancy Heston?

Don't know that asshole. but you seem to. Go to town fuck up

Hold up, hold up. You mean you spent $200 on a Sage Smart Grinder? Just clarify this for a moment, please.

No asshole, it was the Breville Smart Grinder.

Same shit. I think any credibility you had in this thread is lost. Go home and come back when you've got rid of your junk and have a Mazzer, Macap or Anfim. I won't even ask what your machine is because I'll get depressed.

at least you can suffer in your depression in quiet. enjoy.

>he spent $200 on a grinder
are you mentally retarded

At least I have ACTUAL espresso to console me.

No, no. Not only did he spend $200 on a grinder, he spent it on a "smart" grinder by Breville - also known for their toast makers.

What french press would you recommend for a newbie?

They're all good, but whatever you do - don't spend $200 on a pretend grinder made by a toast-oven company.

>taking passive aggressive potshots at another user in a reply to a completely unrelated post
way to take the high road lol

Are hand grinders a meme?

Anything up to the $20 mark will serve you just fine, aim for a brand-name like Hario or Porlex but you can get away with a slightly cheaper knock-off.

$200 hand-grinders (yes they exist) are most definitely a meme though - just like the Brevile Smart Grinder is

Oh but remember they're not for espresso. They're a perfect cheap and portable solution for pour-over coffee though.

It takes 3 minutes to grind enough coffee for a single cup, so yes.

I got heavily berated in a previous thread by an user who seemed to know his shit for owning a hario skerton and thinking it was decent. Apparently that's not the case.

It's perfectly acceptable for Moka Pot, Pourover, even Cold Brew and you need to keep in mind that the next "decent" grinder is (at best) a used MC2 for about $70 which the Hario is less than half price. So it ultimately depends on your budget

Probably by the same user you're responding to who seems to be saying that sub$20 hand grinders are good but a breville smart grinder is bad.

Yes, because the Breville costs literally 10x as much, for which price you can get a REAL commercial grinder. It's all relative, guy.

Now get over the fact that you got ripped off and stop being sour.

>It's all relative, guy.
It's all about the coffee, ""guy"".
And I'm not that user with the Breville. I've got Anfim KS (doserless).

If you enjoy the coffee that you're making with your Skerton then it doesn't matter what other people think. Least not anonymous strangers who will never sample your coffee.

I got meme'd, I have a skerton pro in shipment

Why do they always have the wood collar and the gay leather tie with beads?

Hairo aren't bad (any of them), but never underestimate the power of the sperg on Veeky Forums. There's certainly better to be had, but if you're happy with it, keep using it. They're good for the price. If you are going for espresso, I can understand why someone would sperg, though.

it's that handmade village feel, yo

Yes and the best homemade coffee that someone with a sub $50 budget for a grinder can get is with a cheap but good hand-grinder like the Hario or the Porlex (I prefer the latter).

I have a skerreton underneath by skin

You have actual depression. Your bean cutter can't help you with that.

Wrong. 212 is pretty much ideal for brewed coffee. Look into the works of Scott Rao and Matt Perger for more details. Boiling is ideal. Most people use water too cool and end up with underextracted coffee.

Get a Fellow Stagg EKG
But don't use 192, it's way too cold.

e61 is trash. Still less trash than what that idiot has, but trash. Only saturated group (or pid heated group) machines are worth anything at all.

Breville portafilter baskets are shit. Use VST, IMS, or Pullman baskets.

Grind consistency matters with all methods. That being said, cheap hand burr grinders are utter trash too. Aergrind is the cheapest grinder better than getting it ground when you buy it.

Nigga I use a scoop to put the beans in the glass for weighing before I grind them.

Scoops are more useful for dosing *into* the grinder. Output should always just be the exact amount you need.

Nah. Some of the best espresso grinders, like the EK43, don't have portafilter forks.

Most people can't. No shame in that.

>hx
>proper
Pick exactly one.

There are NO good ceramic burr grinders.

Mazzer, Macap, and Anfim are all hot garbage. (especially Mazzer, whd make bad grind distribution on purpose to appease Italian crema-chasers) The only good grinders are the Monolith Flat, EK43, EG-1, or Compak R120. Or a couple other more niche unimodal flat burr grinders. Titus's new grinder will probably be good too, but his current model is trash.

Espro travel press

Exact other way around. The $200 ones still aren't *good* (only large flat burrs are good), but they're passable. The $20 ones belong in the trash.

Have any of you assholes watched Charlie Wilson's War?

If you are talking about OP, that grinder is by Baratza and I got it as a gift, so meh. It works for me.

hit me with a method for pic related

Thoughts on minipresso?

My sister bought me a nespresso machine this christmas and after tasting some coffee I can say that I'm impressed by both the coffee and how the machine itself brews it

the pic in question wasn't a brevile portafilter. it was a delonghi portafilter, likely from a dedica. and the breville portafilter in your image is an AFTERMARKET portafilter. which you'll have to pay $40 for if you want to get non-shit coffee from your cheap as shit LOL 15 bar joke of a machine. you fucking moron.

Someone gave this to me. Will this actually keep my beans fresh? Just getting into whole beans and noticed an off flavor in what I used after about a week in.