LISTING THE LUMINARIES

Okay, pay attention.

I am an autistic bastard obsessed with making lists. For the last 2 years I have been compiling a massive list of the Great Writers of the world. I note down all the writers included in the multifarious lists of great writers (in books, articles, surveys,websites, etc.) placing a little mark beside each writer every time they reappear in other lists, thus discovering the most prominent/celebrated writers. If a writer has more words devoted to them in a book, or if their article is accompanied by a picture, I give them extra "points".

Naturally Shakespeare and the Bible are way in front - but there are many surprises I've encountered in my laborious endeavor, which has seen me scour libraries, the internet, my own collection of volumes (e.g. 501 Great Writers, 1001 Books You Must Read; The A-Z of Great Writers; and innumerable Encyclopedias of writers) and book stores. (I have purchased several books simply because they include sections on writers, where great writers are listed or ranked).

NOW THEN. I'm almost done. But I want to give points based on "popular opinion" (ranker.com) and "informed but informal opinion" (Veeky Forums). I've lurked on this board for a long time and have confidence in the literary taste of its frequenters.

So please. Post ITT writers you consider the absolute greatest you have ever encountered.

Other urls found in this thread:

listas.20minutos.es/lista/22-grandes-escritores-literarios-321995/
proyectosalonhogar.com/Grandes_escritores.htm
pijamasurf.com/2012/02/los-mejores-libros-y-los-mejores-autores-de-todos-los-tiempos-segun-125-escritores/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>"informed but informal opinion" (Veeky Forums)
Stopped reading there

>Naturally Shakespeare and the Bible are way in front
Stopped reading there

>but are many surprises I've encountered in my laborious endeavor, which has seen me scour libraries
Stopped reading there.

>I am an autistic bastard
Stopped reading there.

Truth hurts does it? My listing process has been entirely objective. How can I help it if the Bard and Bible feature more frequently than other works?

Then fuck off and stop wasting my time.

Thanks for nothing.

What's wrong with a succinct summation of what this board is?

Because you have most definetly seen only lists done by anglos, and you know anglos always push Shakespeare as the greatest thing ever. Shakespeare is amazing and all, but i don't think he's the absolut best in the literary canon.
But i'm not blaming the anglos. They are not the first language group to put their own writers above others. Take a look at a french list of the best 100 books from the last century and an english one and you'll see how vastly different they are.

>Okay, pay attention.
Stopped reading there

Please don't insult my project and its thoroughness. I am all too familiar with the accustaions of "Anglocentric bias" all such lists elicit in readers. For that specific reason, I have gone through innumerable lists of Eastern literature - the great books as ranked by critics/teachers/writers from China, Japan, India, Africa, Middle East, Continental nations, Russia, South America, etc, etc. I've even noted down the writers listed on Chinese travel websites where they include writers among the other cultural accomplishments of their land. But Shakespeare still prevails. In Google-translating numerous pages, foreign sites still compare their own luminaries (Du Fu, Ferdowsi, Valmiki, etc.) to Shakespeare. It's as though they themselves are desperate to demonstrate that they can rival him.

accusations *

Thank you for devoting several seconds to broadcast your worthlessness in my estimation.

>okay, pay
Stopped reading there.
Not going to get me this time, Mr Shekkleberg

>n Google-translating numerous pages, foreign sites still compare their own luminaries (Du Fu, Ferdowsi, Valmiki, etc.) to Shakespeare.
Can you provide some source then? I seriously doubt all of them would refer so much to Shakespeare.
From my perspective as a spanish-speaker, i can tell you that i barely see Shakespeare being praised above any other foreign writer, unless it's specific to an own personal taste.

And i call bullshit on the Bible. If it's seriously objective, encompassing all world cultures, the Bible shouldn't be way up front as you say.

In going through Encyclopedias the Bible receives far more attention than any other work of literature, e.g. in Funk & Wagnall's Encyclopedia set, which I have complete. The Bible is also the cornerstone of most Western literature after Rome - even during Rome, with Tertullian, Origen, Augustine, etc. From Snorri Sturluson to Steinbeck the Bible's influence is indisputable and unparalleled.

Just typing "Los escritores más grandes" in Google you get a picture of Shakespeare, just after Cervantes, Marquez, Cortazar and Borges.

listas.20minutos.es/lista/22-grandes-escritores-literarios-321995/

proyectosalonhogar.com/Grandes_escritores.htm

pijamasurf.com/2012/02/los-mejores-libros-y-los-mejores-autores-de-todos-los-tiempos-segun-125-escritores/

Just 3 Spanish-language sites that include Shakespeare, which can be found in 3 seconds.

Since you fags are being retarded, Im going to use my singular influence on ops list.

Give Stephen King a mark for GOAT

>O
Stopped reading there.

>20minutos
Are you even trying

Also the last link is based on a survey between 125 american and british writers. It literally says so in the first sentence.

Just typed in Spanish in Google for example's sake. In my listing I used links from all over, from recommended reading at universities in Madrid, etc. to favorite books of South American writers.

use pic related

THANK YOU.
At last someone gives me something. Stephen King has 92 marks against his name (93 now). James Joyce has 367 marks against his name, by the way. I've noticed he has quite a following on this board.

THANK YOU user.
I shall categorize these titles accordingly.

Kek
That's as anglo-centric as it gets

>63 of the entries are non-english