Prerequisite readings to better understand Ezra Pound's writings?

Prerequisite readings to better understand Ezra Pound's writings?

The entire Western canon.

Why did Ezra Pound look like he was at a autistic anime cosplay expo?

Learn Chinese.

because he was the ultimate roleplayer and the ultimate pseud. Pound literally pseuded his way into patriciandom, so effectively, that to this day, there are still people who believe that he had discernable talent

Please justify your claim.

And half of the eastern

but pound didnt know chinese

At this point I can at least appreciate that he was masterful at being a pseud. Like how you would appreciate the worlds smartest down syndrome

Samefag b8ing

His poems are incredibly uninteresting when it comes to any emotional content or even innovation in language.
Using things like middle school tier mathematical schemas, trivia gleamed from on an encyclopedia on obscure continental poets and arbitrarily pasting in Chinese characters while perhaps "novel" at the time did not any way progress the art nor were in any way impressive.

Though I can respect the cunning with which he used his average mind towards creating the illusion of depth.
Which seemed to have payed off in dazzling middle-brow audiences

Try again faggot

So far I have 3 answers...
To understand Ezra Pound you need to read the entire Western Canon.

To understand Ezra Pound you need to read the entire Western Canon plus half of the Eastern Canon.

And then there is one user who says that Ezra Pound is a pseud. Typically when I hear the term pseud I think of a person who is poorly read.

Nice inspect element, faggot.

Dude we're only trying to help you not waste time. Look into Wordsworth, Coleridge and Beckett. Don't waste your intellectual life in the smoke and mirrors game

go ahead, spend your next year trying to puzzle out the cantos and his embarrassing pseudo economic theories, embarrassing use of chinese characters he had to look up to understand. Read the 700 pages of purposely obscurantist rhetoric that had little to nothing important to say, by all means. go ahead, I don't care. if you're so insistent on believing that pound is a good poet, then nothing I say will change your mind. maybe it will impress your mom when she sees that you have such a big book on your bookshelf, but your understanding of what the purpose of and power of literature is will be permanently crippled if you follow the teachings of pound

>maybe it will impress your mom when she sees that you have such a big book on your bookshelf, but your understanding of what the purpose of and power of literature is will be permanently crippled if you follow the teachings of pound

Now this is water

>pseudo economic theories
care to elaborate?

he gives you a list in ABC of reading

Read at least Homer, Confucius, an anthology of Chinese poetry, some Catullus or Propertius, Cavalcanti, Dante, some history of the Italian city states, Villon, Chaucer, Shakespeare's sonnets, the Metaphysical poets, especially Donne, Théophile Gautier and Jules Laforgue, and something on the literary scene in Paris in the interbellum. Remember to read nothing in translation.
Or you could just read an introductory work and enjoy the sound and rhythm, for that is Pounds major quality.

After I read all these works, will I really want to waste time on shit like Pound?

>and enjoy the sound and rhythm, for that is Pounds major quality.

do we have to keep spoon feeding you? the answer is "no"

Who is "we"? That was my first post in this thread and only you answered. Are your parents with you while you're surfing the net?

>Or you could just read an introductory work
pfft, like I'm going to do all that bullshit...I'll just read the stuff you suggested in the beginning, Homer, Confucius and so on.

So...your worthless opinions?

Not a pseud, but he is mediocre compared to his company. I'd get something like Jade Terrace for eastern poetry, since you want to read him though (or just read him, annotations are for scholars, not hobbyists).