Haha this guy thinks he has free will!!! LoL!!!

Haha this guy thinks he has free will!!! LoL!!!

Give me a quick rundown on Sam Harris

pseud normie who, in order to elevate himself to narcissist, grabbed some credentials off the bottom shelf
he later proceeded to rewrite century-old literature so that it could be understood by modern-day philosophy majors

free will doesnt exist because SCIENCE

Jew

With atheism as my ideology I will now undermine free will because of its religious connotations muhahaha

Do you realise how flattered Harris probably is to be constantly compared to Ben Stiller?

He literally argues that we don't have free will.

I hate this guy.

Free will exists.

welp, that settles the debate. pack it up everyone

>pseudo intellectual
>jew

every fucking time

biggest pseudo in the snake oil bussiness

Has a degree in Philosophy but sucks balls at it , got raped in a debate by Craig so hard I cringed

I try not to use an argument like this in debate very often, but Sam Harris is literally dumb.

>Waking Up
>Project Reason
>ywn come up with titles this pretentious

This for fucks sake. Obviously we can do whatever the fuck we want, there's just simple morals or shall I say standards that divides the sane from the inane.

He's baby's first step into the world of bridging the gap between rationality and spirituality.

Everyone here hates him because it's no longer cool to be an atheist, and he also spoke out against Trump, of which everything that he said has proven true.

no, everyone hates him cause everyone realized how dumb he is

I am an atheist but after watching him debate with WLC I got mad I even trusted him in the first place

Free Will IS 100% bullshit, though

Last summer I took a book recommendation from (((reddit))) and read Waking Up.

Then, I stopped taking book recommendations from reddit.

Sam Harris is bullshit, but so is free will. It doesn't and can't exist, and doesn't even make sense to exist. I don't know why people would think it does, I can't understand them.

Where's your argument bud

The majority of people are dumb, especially these days.

My argument for the non-existence of X? The lack of good arguments for the existence of X.

You made a claim that free will can't exist, where is your argument my dude

How would it exist?
Besides, we already know that electric impulses build up in the brain before the "self" knows that it will take an action.
That is, the action is decided before the "self" is made aware of the decision, and rationalizes it by insisting it made that decision.

You tell me, you are the one making the claim bruh

>no u

Stop asking me to prove negatives. Prove your positive, that experiment has shown to be wrong.

>prove your positive
what positive, I'm simply asking you why you believe free will can't exist. So far you have given 0 reasons. Cool off and take some time before you reply hotshot

But he doesn't though..

Because any action we take is determined by genetic variables interacting with environmental variables, and this is not what people call "free will".
Because "free will" doesn't fit into the human body without inventing things like "soul" for example.

You are just twisting words to claim a victory since I won't be arsed to write a big detailed response on fucking Veeky Forums for no reason.
Free will as people defined it is tested and isn't real, so it can't exist. Either redefine it to something sensible and compatible with biology, or admit its an outdated pre-genetics concept.

He's ok.
What is it with the "online community" of "intellectuals" always praising some obscure academic you need to be "in the know" for instead of a more popular voice?

All a bunch of fucking hipsters..

>still not proving shit
wew lad

Sam Harris is a bad "intellectual" to follow, because for the last year he is on a crusade against SJWs and Trump and it poisons all his talks.

Free will is definitely impossible to test or refute from biology. If that makes it unimportant/illusory for you, it's only because of your prejudices.
But anyway your opinion and mine were "determined" and so is our disagreement and so is this post, and so would be your post or our absence of response. Surely anyone that is not a complete moron realizes that without free will there is no search for truth since all your judgements are "determined" and only true nihilism results. But of course consistency is not "determined" here.
To complete your brainlet signalling, you even manage to insert some materialism (and low-grade at that) into this, which is totally uncalled for in this question.

Brainlets can't into free will. Then free will debate is much more subtle and complex than it initially seems. Like 90% of philosophers agree that there is free will.

But there isn't. Prove me that free will exist.

I fucking love science

Nice try, but fate made you say this.

did you just appeal to a majority
hm

>best comic existental comics ever made
>refuses to acknowledge its exsistence

Free will has nothing to do with determinism. Not the free will that would allow for «moral» responsibility.

fuckin' saved

>using the libet experiment as evidence that free will doesn't exist

wew lad

Free will is self-evident in the most explicit sense of the word. You literally cannot be conscious and honestly believe that you have no will. It's nonsense. The only explanation I can think of for someone capable of thought claiming that free will doesn't exist is that they are lying for nefarious purposes, or have some bizarre definition of free will that precludes it from existing.

In the case of Harris, I suspect the former, because his very behavior undermines his own stated beliefs. If you do not think that people are capable of making decisions under their own power, but are instead motivated exclusively by historical forces, then you de-facto do not believe that "people" exist as anything more sophisticated than water pouring down a slope. Human consciousness (something else that is self-evident) does not exist as a motivating entity in and of itself, but only as a byproduct of our existence.

If you actually believed this, there would be literally no reason to do anything, much less to try and convince people that free will doesn't exist, you cannot even say "because I want to," because you don't. You didn't decide any such thing, "you" don't exist as anything more than a hologram of consciousness issuing from a machine.

But we do exist. We are all reading this right now, and every person who does so knows that they are conscious and thus that they DO have will, and thus that Harris is manifestly incorrect. The fact that anyone takes this brainlet seriously is astounding. Every action you take and every thought that you think is evidence that his assertion is wrong. The only explanation for his championing of an idea that he cannot fail to know is baseless is that he has ulterior, probably evil motives to do so. And, of course, we know this to be true, as Harris is a Jew.

He predicted that literally nothing bad would happen and that the DNC would implode?
How sagacious of him.

>we know this to be true, as Harris is a Jew.
Yep. Good post, user. Glad there are people knowledgeable about the jewish problem who have the patience (or more patience than me!) to sift through the material coming out of this new crop of fake jewish intellectuals and deconstruct their motivations.

>Free will is self-evident in the most explicit sense of the word. You literally cannot be conscious and honestly believe that you have no will. It's nonsense.

I mean, just because you aren't aware of what goes on "close to the metal" doesn't mean it isn't there.

Hard Determinism requires me not only to disregard my own self-awareness and my own senses, but to do so to no practical end, so that I can upset some Christians. And not even all Christians, just the non-Calvinists. I don't need this kike's help to do that, and I certainly don't need to sublimate my existence to a non-falsifiable belief in a mechanistic universe to do it.

We don't even need to get into the nature of human consciousness here, the fact that we are self-aware at all is evidence enough of the existence of will, and thus the irrationality of this absurd idea.

>Give me a quick rundown on Sam Harris
Smug fuckwit that uses big words to seem smart, rather than communicate nuance. If somebody likes him, that person is probably a midwit that thinks they are smart.

>He literally argues that we don't have free will.
He may not choose to be a fuckwit, but being such a douche about it is definitely free will.

>Everyone here hates him because it's no longer cool to be an atheist
Naw, I hate him because he uses large words for no reason other than to sound smart to dipshits. Also reminds me of how I used to talk when I was a teenager and hadn't realized the need for translating down in order not to confuse and anger normies.

We have free will in a meme-esque way. We can say yes or no to things to an extent. Do you realize we can't even be GOOD without God's OK. It's quite disheartening.

>but so is free will. It doesn't and can't exist,
At this point there is insufficient evidence to prove that subatomic waves do not choose where to exist as particles, you merely assume they do not. Lacking any real knowledge of the fundamental nature of existence, puny humans claiming they know what is and isn't possible is supremely pathetic. You don't know, and neither do I; I choose what I pay attention to, what thought patterns are more dominate. If you don't think you make choices, you are probably severely lacking in self awareness or mental capacity.

New atheist who completely went off the rails after Trump got elected.

>He's ok.
He's great, one of our greatest minds, along with geniuses Bill Nye, and Grassy Tyson.

The jewish response in general to Trump getting elected was lunacy across the board and remains such. The non-jewish liberal merely mimics this outrage because they don't understand that it's jews who are feeding them their opinions through the various jewish-run media outlets.

>he thinks the other side is any better
Trump is a jewish puppet just like any other president.

deep

fucking drumpf ruined the podcast for me desu

Ok kid, keep worshipping your "savior".

>he still thinks there are permanent states of existence independent of any perspective

There is free will in the mind that perceives it. You do not exist in the mind that does not perceive you. etc.

>Prove me that free will exist.
I choose not to engage with those lacking awareness of self. I do not believe you exist.

He is much, much less of a jewish puppet and will slow down the race replacement agenda, which is the main thing whites need right now, you kike shill.

congratulations on wasting a lot of words to say nothing, retards

>Hard Determinism requires me not only to disregard my own self-awareness and my own senses
How did I acquire the information that made me disregard my senses, through my senses, of course!

Holy shit at what point will people admit that this guy was an idiot all along and that he should be forgotten in time? He's gotten annihilated in almost every debate he's been in. His 'works' have been ravaged by contemporaries in almost every field he's done 'work' in.

Harris lacks any basic ability in discernment, and lacks altogether any skill in higher reasoning. I would disregard him altogether. This includes his pernicious charlatan cash grab book on free will. See instead, Dennet, or other compatibilists (or anyone who is actually intelligent and creative for that matter)

sam harris is the grown up version of the kid that picked toad in mario kart

w-what's wrong with picking toad?

>this is what 70 iq white trash burgers actually belive
Nah fuck off. America needs to die, it's a huge cesspool.
I can't belive how many """whites""" there think that they'll ever have a white european country. Not gonna happen kid. America was never european/white from the beginning.
Real europeans will come back to their homeland, there's no future in that international jewish empire.
>inb4 wah wah kike shill! No way I've been lied to all the time! NO NO NO
Probably a 100 times whiter than you buddy.

What the fuck does that even mean? How am i suppose to derive any use from this post? Surely no man is wrong about everything, what in gods name are you talking about?

Maybe hypnotized

Nice try, jew.

why does he hate toad so much

Good argument my 1/16 german brother :^)

We're probably the same amount of white if you're going to try to claim you're 100x whiter. So you think Americans should go back to Europe? That might not be a bad idea, but it's not going to happen anytime soon and your defeatism wrt America is at this point unjustified. I agree America needs to die, though not about the part about it never being white since the concept of "America" is 100% white in every shape, form, and fashion, but if it's going to die it should be ended by the men who created it, white men, and something else should rise in its place.

someone tl;dr to the extent that that's possible why the materialist conception of free will (or really, lack of free will) is wrong

pls no appeal to divinity

i find the materialist conception of free will a force with the potential to depress the human spirit but at the same time i think it's correct t b h

i don't think their post-hoc reasoning is correct though, i.e. we should be throwing people in jail when they do stupid shit and we can't suddenly develop infinite empathy for sociopaths just because they didn't technically will themselves into retarded situations

Free will shouldn't exist.

It means exactly what the fuck I wrote it means, you idiot. Can you read?

no... hes forever been a pseud

doesnt matter what his shitty opinions on politics are

in the philosophy field he is a farse

hes probabbly a good neuroscientist but thats all

Not and argument.

>hes probabbly a good neuroscientist

not really. he isn't much involved in the design and execution of the experiments he is associated with (which are already quite few in number), he just helps write up the papers for publication

If you think those choices are free you are probably severely lacking in self awareness or mental capacity.

You cant prove you ever had a choice other than the one that was made.

Determinists still think you should throw criminals into jail to prevent further harm. They just think rehabilitation should be the focus, since retribution doesn't make a whole lot of sense if people are doomed to their crimes because of genetics / environment.

>Determinists think
>They think

Sure?

My compatibilist professor doesn't rule out determinism but also believes that we shouldn't autistically develop infinite empathy in the face of it as it'd probably ruin society as we know it. It's kind of a cop-out position.

Yes

Don't know where you're getting this infinite empathy idea from. In much the same way we view bears or sharks, we'd treat extreme criminals as a kind of killing machine.

It's also worth pointing out that having empathy doesn't necessarily mean you have sympathy. Sun Tzu recommended you be able to empathize with your enemy to understand them.

Humans are predictable just like any other animal.

how do you elevate yourself to a narcissist when being one is the lowest form of self possible in a human being

you literally stop being a productive human being and your ego is crushed under the weight of your own false self, useless and inert

he thinks morality is objective because.... suffering is bad or something

I can by making a choice in the present moment.

u chose to make a stupid fuking post u reditor