Minecraft: The Island

I felt intrigued about how someone could make a story from Minecraft so I started reading this book. I just completed chapter one and it is clever how the author is bringing in aspects of the game for character that is from our real world that got sucked into the game world. I honestly felt it was a little cheap in how he used the whole "Alice in Wonderland" thing to setup his novel when he could have written a story that was set in a Minecraft world and saw the main characters going on a quest which leads them to discover something big like how they reside in a computer simulation poking fun at the whole simulation hypothesis. Maybe their world gets destroyed and they stumble upon a freshly generated one to start over.

But still, it just feels weird knowing that there is a book about Minecraft that isn't just a guide on how to play the game. This is an actual story about the game even though subtlety I get the feeling it's more or less a guide about how to play Minecraft. I do think Mojang found potential in the future publication of novels instead of just guides and sources.

Now feel free to call me a faggot.

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/books/2017/07/14/max-brooks-minecraft-island-jack-black-samira-wiley/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does the book add anything new to the children fantasy genre or is it just a cliché story that happens in Minecraft?

So far, I just read chapter two, it's just him discovering what a Minecraft world entails. He just learned about the animals of the world and had a brush with a zombie. I'm still not sure if I could call it a cliche story yet though because while it does feel like your typical castaway story set in Minecraft there is a sort of uniqueness to it but that may just be because it's set in the cubic game.

Can I enjoy the book without knowing how to play Minecraft? I've always been curious about the minds of autistic manchildren.

hahahahaha this exists? and you're defending it?

faggot

Jesus Christ

Is writing children stories something to be made fun of? It's a genre and it's written by adults, so it's only logical to interest oneself in the best sellers of the moment. Not op.

Someone explain the 'New York Times Bestseller' tag that I see every book boasting on their cover. How hard is it to achieve NYT bestseller anyways? Is it just a meme that any published book can achieve regardless of quality?

>"it's a genre"
>therefore it's good
god OP, you really are a bonehead. Besides, nobody's saying that. Oscar Wilde wrote children's stories of tremendous beauty and lasting power, and one of the many reasons for that is that they weren't poorly-disguised shilling for McDonald's, My Little Pony, or Minecraft.

I didnt say good, I said it was a best seller.

Yes, you can enjoy this book without having ever played the game. The author actually does a decent job of introducing some elements of the game to readers who may have no experience with it although there are some things you may understand better having played the game. For example, the inventory gui, but it's not that hard to figure out. The book more or less feels as if it's an introduction to the game as a subtle "how to play" novel which is what kind of disappoints me since all of the other publications for Minecraft are how to guides.

That wasn't me, friend.

>Is it just a meme that any published book can achieve regardless of quality?
I want to know if "based on true events" is a meme, because that is in this novel which made me laugh my ass off because how is this a true story unless these events occurred when the author played the game?

I actually like wwz so i might check this out

My guess is that they become best seller for 10 minutes in some moment and then they can say that it's a best seller without any context.

How could I defend something that I haven't finished reading yet?

t. proud philip defranco book club member

> Or maybe it would raise up a giant, gleaming fortress that held a white-haired spirit who would answer all my questions and teach me how to use my powers. Hadn't that happened in a movie?

Is this a reference to something? If so, what?

Imagine attaching your name to this. Imagine being Max Brooks, born in 1972, age 45, and not only having written two zombie books, but then gone on to write a Minecraft tie-in NYT best seller called Minecraft: The Island. This is what you are devoting your life to. This is the kind of thing - the thing you want your existence me, I, Max Brooks, this life, this conscious human being) to be registered as the cause of. Of all the things you could have been. Of all the beauty in the world you could have wrought, or silently watched pass by. Your mind infected by the constant self-perception as a COMIC nerd zombie MINecraftM ELB BROOKS. Every sunset you see. I'm MAX BROOKS, AUTHOR OF WORLD WAR Z AND MINECRAFT: THE ISLAND. When you see your newborn baby boy's eyes open for the first time. MOJANG TM COMICCON

Writing minecraft novels anonymously seems pretty Veeky Forums, though.

How do you know he didn't choose to write this novel? He could have had a kids who played the game.

I'm saying it was a bad choice, Max.

Imagine the shekels.

Why is it a bad choice?

He thanked a man named Jack Swartz for introducing the Brooks family to Minecraft. Who is this again?

cant wait fior the max broks spider man elsa poo poo glass eating prank book in 10 years

It's almost like he doesn't care much for serious literature but knows what sells or something...

> serious literature
What is serious literature anyway?

Just finished chapter three and this book is starting to feel like Hatchet set in Minecraft. I think the mentioning of a hatchet in the chapter along with other survival stories might have been a subtle reference to that book too. Brooks seems very keen on the life lessons here as there is a page in the very back of the book that listens each individual lesson mentioned in each chapter. Some are "panic drowns thought" and "don't assume anything". It actually feels like he might have wanted to write this book and isn't doing it for a cash grab.

Hmm, get a sample of the book with these excerpts read by Jack Black and Samira Wiley.

ew.com/books/2017/07/14/max-brooks-minecraft-island-jack-black-samira-wiley/

It's weird hearing Jack Black's voice doing something like this because I cannot get Tenacious D out of my head whenever I hear him talk. The woman reads like how you'd expect an audiobook to read.

If you have to actually ask that you don't belong on Veeky Forums.

Please answer the question if you may, sir or madam.

You can still make a change, Max. You don't have to sit here rationalising your potboiler to us. You can still make something of yourself. All you have to do is do it.

Why are you calling me Max Brooks? I was just reporting in after reading the third chapter so I am not sure what was really happening in this thread other than some guy posting a fedora image asking what serious literature was.

Oh, sorry, of course ;). No worries, Not-Max.

Why would Max Brooks need to come here to shill his new book if this book is nothing more than a cashgrab? That doesn't make any sense. If something is a cashgrab either due to name recognition or whatever, then there is no need to shill it on some obscure imageboard.

Woah, isn't this also a video game or something?

Do you lack reading comprehension?

I read this book and it's surprisingly not as horrible as I anticipated. There is still some cringe worthy dialog, but this book is written for a younger audience. My nephews love it. They are big Minecraft fans and they love it when I read it to them. I even play sounds from the game that I downloaded onto my phone whenever there is a line of dialog between the protagonist and one of the in-game mobs. They really get a kick out of it.

I wish I had someone to read to me like that. ;_;

I don't get Max Brooks. Someone bought me his zombie book but it sucked as far as I read.

Which zombie book?

I just finished Chapter Four. Some of these chapters are very short. The main protagonist just learned how to make tools.

World War Z was good.

Max Brooks is a competent writer who manipulates nerds into buying his tripe.

>and had a brush with a zombie.

is it like a realworld brush with a realworld zombie, or does he meet this incredibly stupid guy with green skin and ragged clothing who can't work out how to walk around fenceposts?

yes. i'm sure he cries himself to sleep at night, wiping his snotty little nose with hundred dollar bills. poor man.

You're not a faggot, I appreciate your hard work venturing deep into the literary world and reporting back :)

Oh blimey, how exciting! Please do keep us informed about the narrative's structure. Say, does it follow Campbell's so beloved arc?

No, really, I wanna know. Post the cringy parts for us to read too.