I Need help cooking chicken thighs

Hi all I need some help. I've been trying to cook more since I am poor and retarded, but since I am retarded I can't seem to make chicken right.

So I've 1.5 LBs of chicken thighs marinading overnight that I want to pan fry until the skin is crispy. Everytime I've tried to cook chicken the skin comes out chewy which isn't pleasant.

What I've been doing:

Put chick in hot pan on medium high heat, until they are starting to burn/stick to the pan. After about 14 minutes (flipping halfway through), I put them in the oven, wrapped in foil at like 400 for 45 minutes.

I pull em out and they taste good but are chewy. What the hell do I do.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/braised-chicken-thighs-cabbage-bacon-recipe.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

To this day, i cant cook rice. All good man.
My kryptonite is rice. Yours is crispy chicken. We cant all be good at everything. Wouldn't be fair.

Take them out of the foil to let the skin dry in the oven for the last few minutes.

I assume its cool to use the leftover juice from the marinade as the oil when cooking them on the pan?

Either roast them or fry them. Roast under the broiler (meat on a lower shelf from heat) until you hit 155/160. Frying is dredge in flour>veg shortening at 350, lid on for 6 minutes, check, 6 more minutes with splatter screen on after a flip.

Why marinate them? Thighs have flavor

The foil is making sure your skin is soaking wet because the water has nowhere to escape. You should cook your thighs in the oven first low and slow, and when they are done you sear them in a pan.

Either that or fiddle around with tenperatures and times enough that you get crispy skin from the oven, assuming your coils are on the top, without bothering with a pan. Again without any foil at all, idk why you are using foil for cooking chicken.

Thanks for the info. I can't do the full fry with flour business, I was just hoping I could pan fry them in their own juices and get that crispiness--is that a possible thing?

I might try roasting them--what heat and for how long do you say?

It would be the most fair.

Honestly I don't know either, I legitimately have no idea what I'm doing. I assumed it helped keep the moisture inside.

Well, kinda. It'll collect the moisture on the outside of your chicken. If you make the skin crispy and then ensure it's soaked, well you know the result. Foil is usually used if you want to protect something from the coils' direct heat.

Use the Kenji technique, it's amazing. You don't have to follow this recipe but follow the technique.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/01/braised-chicken-thighs-cabbage-bacon-recipe.html

I'll tl;dr it for you
>fry your thighs skin side down until the skin is crisp, then brown the other side too.
>remove from pan
>deglaze pan with liquid (stock, wine, coconut milk, your marinade, whatever), and vegetables (red pepper, onion, whatever, or none)
>add whatever spices/ herbs
>return thighs to pan, skin side up
>put uncovered pan in oven
>the liquid should come up to just below the level of the skin
>cook for around 40 mins

This way, the skin will crisp, and the meat will braise and stay juicey as it's in the liquid. Make sure you use an ovenproof pan (steel skillet/ cast iron/ dutch oven), no nonstick or plastic handle

You can use just boil the leftover bones with water (maybe with some celery onion and carrot), for a while, skimming the fat and scum off the surface, to make stock for the liquid for next time. It will keep for a week in the fridge and a year in the freezer.

and the meat will flavour the liquid as it cooks giving you a tasty juice

>Cook thighs skin side down in nice & hot pan until skin is crisp
>Flip thighs over once skin is crisp
> Move thighs into 400-450 F oven, skin side up
>Cook thighs to desired doneness (best is probably 160-165F)

That's literally it. Stop wrapping the thighs in foil, because that causes the skin to steam and braise. You want the skin crisp, which means you need dry heat after cooking them on the stovetop.

There's a shit ton of bad advice in this post. First, chicken thighs are fatty enough that they don't need any extra liquid to stay juicy.

Second, if you sautee the thighs with the skin side down first, and then roast them in a 450F oven with the skin side up, 25-30 min in the oven is all they will need.

Third, you can make stock in a pressure cooker in about an hour without having to do any tedium like skimming the pot.

Fourth, if you pour the hot stock into mason jars, even with fully "canning" them, the stock will last for months in the fridge, not weeks.

Basically whomst'ver posted that shitty post should kill themselves.

Correction: should've said "even WITHOUT full canning..."

2 > 1 > 3

>First, chicken thighs are fatty enough that they don't need any extra liquid to stay juicy
Sure, but there are different ways to cook things and braising fatty meat is a classic one. It has added benefits like the meat will flavour your juice and the juice will flavour your meat as they cook together. It's lean meat that you wouldn't want to braise.
>then roast them in a 450F oven with the skin side up, 25-30 min in the oven is all they will need.
Again, different ways to cook things, the recipe suggests a 350 f oven, and lower temps are what you'd normally do braising anyway
>Third, you can make stock in a pressure cooker in about an hour without having to do any tedium like skimming the pot.
you're so caught up in your dogmatic faggotry, pressure cookers are excellent for stock, but not everyone has one, and skimming a stock in a pot is such a conventional thing to do my mind is boggled that you'd say it's stupid.
>time stock keeps for
i was just going off advice from google on how long stock lasts, a week seems to be the consensus, and not everyone has mason jars.

This method makes extremely nice chicken thighs. I roast thighs, and grill them, and deep fry them often. The fact other methods you prefer (without having tried this one) exist, does not make it stupid or redundant, it makes you a literal autist in the;
>enjoys sameness and repetition, afraid of change
sense

So I called my dad and he said to just cook them for 10 minutes a side at 500 in the oven for crispy skin so I did that and they weren't crispy but they weren't soggy and with soaking in that marinade juice all night they were damn good. I'll try the other techniques ITT in the future.

are they vegan?

1 is Lara Flynn Boyle
2 is Sherilyn Fenn
3 is Madchen Amick
go and google each of them as they look now and report back with your new ranking
I'll save you a little time
_ > _ >>>>>> 1

Sherilyn Fenn got mommy af

you're god damn right she did

are you?

twin peaks more like twin NUT