TFW monolingual

>TFW monolingual.
Who else /pleb/?

How do I learn another language aside from Duolingo? What is the more literary language - French or German?

Neither. French and German are both irrelevant languages that won't even be spoken in their home-countries in 50 years.

Learn Russian. All the Chinese are learning English for a reason, but Russian literature is far superior.

Duolingo is only good for the application of grammar and practise forming sentence structure. To learn vocabulary, use Memrise, which has audio as well for popular languages.

It's not always necessary to have classes or a tutor, just get yourself decent grammar and exercise books. If there's a particular language you're learning I have a ton of resources for loads.

Watch tv in your target language, read books at all difficultly levels, listen to music. It's cliche advice but it's incredibly helpful.

If you'd just like to learn how to read
Sandberg - French for Reading
Sandberg - German for Reading; or Wilson - German Quickly

You are just already lucky to be an English native speaker.

French and deutsch both literary is your preference of classics u want to read
You will learn a language if u want to, it will simply happen because truly wanting something is to inquire and investigate it frequently
Just saying u want it loosely is small talk, if u truly want to learn then your actions will show the way
Do not be idle

You can't go wrong with French or German, it really depends what interests you more. French has an edge in volume of work I think, but both are so rich you likely won't lose interest.

German is way more patrician

Absolutely nothing wrong with being monolingual, although simply learning another language, no matter how proficient you become, won't make you properly bilingual

t. bilingual since childhood

Lingvist is pretty good, it has French, Russian, and Spanish if I remember correctly.

Oh I'm sorry did the Germans magically all start speaking another language while I was gone? Did they all start learning a language that doesn't sound like a retarded pigfucker choking on horsecock while we were sleeping and spring it into action one day? How about a language that doesn't decide one day, "Hey, you know how sexing up every noun is stupid. Well, let's do this but make it even fucking stupider. And let's make the word for girl neuter because our entire nation is autistic"? Glad they finally decided that. Did they decide to fucking accept that more than 12 letters exist, so every word doesn't sound exactly the same, which is again like an elderly man choking to death on his own phlegm? Perhaps they adopted a language that didn't decide, "Wait, you know how fucking disgusting our language sounds. And I mean absolutely fucking disgusting, like to the point it actually, literally, unironically drives you to disgust when heard? Yeah, well let's put a bunch of stupid dots over our letters to make it even worse, because fuck other people." Did they create a language that only sounds right when screeched by an autistic manlet in front of thousands of other autistic manlets to say something completely moronic about how a nation of autistic manlets that have never won a war is somehow the master race? Did they invent a language that didn't stop inventing words at 1200 B.C., so now whenever they want to name something they throw 50 words from dinosaur times together just to name an emu?
No, they didn't do any of those things. Fuck off you stupid little fucker. French is better than German in literally, literally every single way.
Never post on my board again you stupid little nazi-loving faggot.

Think I'm gonna try to learn French

I remember the VERY basics from school tbqh

I know French, Spanish, and English. Need to practice my French more though. Going to tackle German next.

good post

Rien n'est comparable à la littérature française en terme de richesses et de beauté

Kek

French for literature, German for philosophy. Personally I'd go for German.

German philosophy shits all over french """""philosophy""""".

Euh.
Mein Kampf et Ainsi Parlait Zarathustra ?
Rien de mieux que l'allemand pour prendre la pillule rouge.

>french philosophy results in the modern democratic order
>german philosophy results in nazism
imagine being this pleb

French for literature in general, German for romantism, Italian for 20th century and struggling with 15 different dialects, spanish for Quixote and memeing your way into portuguese, portuguese for Pessoa and Rosa, Russian for Realism.

>What is the more literary language - French or German?
Italian

>birth rate is even more abysmal than Japan's
>implying Russia will even exist in 50 years

oh you poor little brainwashed drone

Mio nero.

german here. prefer reading in english and french too. also contemporary german literature is shit, just like german popular culture too. you cannot switch on a tv without starting to vomit instantly. the only thing we do have is a top notch eleltronic music scene, which is just another indication for our autism.

Choose a language that makes it easy for you.

Any neighboring countries? Any countries you often go to? Any countries whose literature you would like to read?

Don't learn a language for the sake of learning a language unless you find it fun to do.

Latin and Greek you idiots

APO PANTOS, KAKODAIMONOS

>tfw can speak multiple languages well enough to hold a conversation about anything
>still not proficient enough to read national literature
This is worse desu

>How do I learn a language besides Duolingo?

Set your browser to your language of choice.
Watch subtitled movies.
Try reading the news.
Play vidya.

Basically do everything you already do but in your language of choice.
Every adjustment will take energy, so don't give up.

Also, use Wiktionary for free word translations.

Is Italian a good language to learn?

I'm almost fluent in French and I have noticed its very similar structurally and a lot of words are the same. I really should too since my grandparents were Italian immigrants and all my aunts, uncles and my dad can speak it.

Whatever you do, don't use Rosetta Stone. I got the full German course, it's fucking trash, the voice recognition is some of the worst I've ever come across and learning by pictures is a fucking garbage way of learning.

Even Duoligo is better.

Scandinavian languages (mostly Swedish) and English are more alike than Portuguese and Spanish, or Icelandic and Danish.
To me English is almost like a distant dialect with some strange words (like teach, although that is related to tech) rather than a different language to "Sweden".
All you need to do is revolutionize the spelling between the two languages and the only real thing that would repeatedly stand out is 'The' and 'Is', and word context (both have all the same words with same root meaning but use them differently.)

So am I truly bilingual?
>I can read Norwegian and danish
>Am I quadrilingual?

I can already tell by your post you're not bilingual since you misuse words in english
"revolutionize the spelling" doesn't mean anything, since you're probably translating literally from swedish which I assume has a broader definition of the word revolution

Russian birth rate has actually recovered and is at fertility without the help of migrants. le russian fertility is a myth pushed by the western establishment

*is at replacement fertility level

seconding this. Any Italian speakers out there?

Start with classical greek

Should one ever learn two languages at a time? aI'm around a B1 level of one language and want to keep progressing, but want to start another language in the meantime. Good idea or bad?

'Teach' has nothing to do with 'tech'.

The original verb for 'teach' was 'learn' with a transitive sense.

> I learn John music.

Which some dialects still do, including mine.

>tfw learn new languages easily
>too autistic to hold a conversation even in my native language

>revolutionize the spelling" doesn't mean anything
sure
>which I assume has a broader definition of the word revolution
Nope.
Revolutionize means to change something at its core.
>1. To bring about a radical change in.

And Swedish has "lära/lär/lärd/lärt", learn/learn/learned and learnt/learn? LEARN!
And a 'teacher' is a 'lärare' a 'learner' so to speak, heh.

Italian speaker here. I've noticed the same as (fluent in Italian, almost fluent in Frencha s well).
Similar vocabulary and syntax.

There's more than enough good Italian literature out there, and some great singer-songwriters as well.

Only downside to 'Italian literature' is that dialects/languages seem to play a much greater role than in other languages (think the Divine Comedy and Tuscan).
The difference is greater than English and Middle English for example.

>'Teach' has nothing to do with 'tech'.
Yeah I misread a sentence, after some quick googling.
Swedish has 'tecken' (sign, and also to paint-teckna), with same etymology.

>>french philosophy results in the modern democratic order
I think you mean British philosophy

God damn I wish someone would've smothered Hegel in the crib

Frenchman fluent in Italian here.

Italian is the easiest language to learn, by far, if you already master French. You'll be fluent in a few months. Plus, Italian literature (old and modern) is very rich and relevant.

Coming from French, Italian is: little effort, big gains.

you should try learning english

>go to the country that speak your desired language
>stay there for a few mouths and avoid anyone that speak English

Learn some Arabic. It will come in handy when you find yourself outnumbered.

but i already know arabic

And then Hebrew

>enjoy learning to read and write
>hate learning to listen and speak
Who else? Am I just a sperg?

english native, fluent in french, just starting ancient greek. picked up a bit of spanish but have no interest in continuing. plan on learning latin and german eventually.

i've heard this from a lot of frogs. i might do it eventually.

you can't read poetry unless you know how to speak, and poetry is 90% of the (literary) reason to bother learning a foreign language in the first place.

maybe if you're a poetryfag

I'd suggest German. Both have great literature, but German is more useful in everyday life, for work qualifications etc.
I consider learning how to pronounce French only so I can read the words when they're dropped in some book (with feetnotes).