I'm 100% sure this has been asked a milion times, but what's your opinion on Jordan B Peterson?

I'm 100% sure this has been asked a milion times, but what's your opinion on Jordan B Peterson?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9VM1UA0pCMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XcFVaWrVYfY
youtube.com/watch?v=OoA4017M7WU
youtube.com/watch?v=MBWyBdUYPgk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Btw look at this awfull picture I found when I searched him on Google images. (I admire him btw)

When it comes to anything that isn't psychology, he is a charlatan who is in for the money.

Smart guy but not a very good philosopher. I like him for going against political correctness but also opposing /pol/ autism. At the same time I feel his fans listen to his videos in order to feel smart without actually reading

Let's see your Cheeto stained face

>christcuck
>relevant

I actually do this

Word of advice: it doesn't work, and people always can figure out wether you are parroting Peterson.

He's not a Christian, though.

He is, he has explicitly said so in a recent interview (you've probably seen it). He's not traditionally so, though, since he has some beefs with what Faith actually is (in the aame interview he could not admit that Jesus actually existed).

>he could not admit that Jesus actually existed
Like I said: not a Christian.

why was he crying in that video?

>He's a Christ follower
>He does not believe in Christ

Imagine only checking your sentences for mistakes that only pertain to grammar.

Thanks, this is interessting. I (OP) didn't find Peterson over that trans pronoun discussion and I'm way left of Peterson, so I don't belong to the right wing crowd who's pleased that there is a somewhat intelligent and well articulated person who holds some vaguely "reactionary" views .

Also I see the point of how Peterson isn't extraordinary compared to other university professors. However, what I like about him is that he's a walking contradiction on the first sight. He's a scientist but spiritual, intelligent yet somewhat conservative and at one moment compassionate, yet at the other brutally, almost destructively honest.

>he's a charlatan and here is none of my reasoning on the matter

White-knight.. Easy on the sucking..

He's not intelligent.

Maps of Meaning is a good book.

He also has great practical advice in his lectures.

I think hes interesting, he has some good ideas. I think his background in psychology makes his talks about philosophers such as nietzche incredibly useful because he can offer pragmatic ways of finding yourself and what you are good at which can aid you im becoming who you are meant to be.

His talks on value structures, culture and archetypes are also interesting because he provides historical and philosophical ideas and context from other thinnkers that help tie together a good understanding of why society does the things it does, what motivates people, what makes people happy and how culture evolves and the importance it had in ones life and identity.

Hes not mind blowing but i think his attempts at trying to get people to be responsible and help themselves are noble.

I'm 100% sure you're a shit poster.

This. Hes got good practical advice for giving yourself a life where you are happier.

Can you give me some examples of this "practical advice"?

This. Don't forget that the guy is basically a psychoyherapist, whatever academic background he might also have.

Op i would say ignore most of what Veeky Forums has to say. They are almost all contrarian psueds. No one on this board has consisten principles, they just want to act as if disagreeing with everyone and shitting on anything slightly mainstream makes them intelligent.

Since groups no hold view points, why can't this be applied to jewish political interest groups? They write openly about holding contempt for working class whites in the Forward, the Haretz and other magazines. Why does the left refuse acknowledge jews as a group acting in their own interests and to the detriment of whites? Don't pull some "but ejws are white user" on me, they have clearly socially constructed themselves to be a different racial group, and we should return the favour

His lectures on theology and psychology are interesting. I think like most people he has the tendency to boogeyman post-modern art, though. He doesn't really understand Post modernism and I think it's in large part because he hasn't really genuinely studied it. But he knows what his audience wants and he gives it to them.

He is infinitely more tolerable than people like Sam Harris.

He just sprinkles it into his lectures and people keep extracting the bits and making videos of them, so here. He relays all sorts of stuff from derived from the psychological literature, psychoanalysis, religion, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=9VM1UA0pCMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XcFVaWrVYfY
youtube.com/watch?v=OoA4017M7WU

he's a dude that isn't quite the real thing, as in the type of guy you know is on levels above
but he knows that people, particularly wayward lost children (as the people who take his undergrad courses are and now the people who watch his videos) would benefit from him attempting to simulate it
better him than some complete charlatan
he distills the lessons of jung down to an understandable level
and he knows that the world now requires a show and that respectability is now cheap
and if he can make a fuckload of money in the process, why not? there are much worse holes to stick resources in
the best type of charlatan
god bless him

Most people don't care about post-modern art. His attitude is reactionary.

Something about him has really grabbed me by the balls. It was when he started describing the crowds of young men that were coming to listen to him talk about taking personal responsibility for their lives that I realized something big was happening. I was one of those young men. I don't know what will happen with him or where we're going but I think I'd follow him through the gates of Hell if he asked me to.

A genuinely brave man.
Speak the truth.
Sort yourself out.

He talks a lot about identity and personality. Once you figure out where you are in the 5 dimensions of personality and what your I.Q is you can figure out roughly what youd be suited to in life, someone who is highly agreeable will likely find most of their fulfillment through interpersonal relationships, someone who is disagreeable, creative, but has low conciousness and has an I.Q in the range of 120+ is likely very suites to being an entrepanuer ect. He also has good advice about relationships i.e how to choose a partner thats best suited for you, how to make meaningful changes that stick in an unhappy relationship

He also talks a lot about personal responsibility, and motivation which i think all neets on this board and every other could benifit from hearing. Im on mobile so posting is difficult but i can lidt more if you want.

>brainwash was a success

this board should be a green board because the amount of jealousy on display is truly lit

thingken of Pinocchio

Whatever, he's an interesting person that's taken a stand for something despite the danger it poses to his career well-being. I admire him and will continue to listen to him.

Id prefer he brainwash young men into being responsible and self determinant than for marxists to brainwash them into perpetually depressed, bitch baby neets who cant do shit for themselves.

>I'd follow him through the gates of Hell if he asked me to
absolutely spooked

His parenting advice is great. He goes over how to socalize children, how to play with them, the importance of competition and the techniques for raising a child that can learn to care for itself early in its life.

He also goes over why poor parenting in the modern era has lead to infantalized adults and the effects that has on society ect.

His fans are manchildren desu, haven't you seen the pictures?

That's exactly it. He condescends to young men like the parent they most probably didn't have, so they're really happy with him.

this a board that fellates marxists authors and theory all fucking day, how the fuck can you not handle some political discussion? Does it bother you that much that people would use you style of reasoning in way you don't like?

He has a less-than-perfect grasp of philosophy and has a less-than-perfect set of values that he's put forward, and his less-than-perfect following of less-than-perfect neckbeards are using what he says to attempt to better themselves, even if they sometimes fail. Because of all this, Veeky Forums fucking hates him, and it should be no surprise why.

The thing about Veeky Forums is not that everybody is anonymous, but that everybody is "Anonymous," in the sense that thousands upon thousands of relatively mediocre-yet-unique people offer their views and contribute their best advice on a subject; the best of these views and pieces of advice are collectively remembered by many anons, and this wisdom compounds over time. Eventually every individual user identifies with the great collective wisdom accumulated by the Anonymous community of Veeky Forums at large, and each individual takes credit for all the best ideas of the group (since theres nothing to indicate otherwise, because we're all fuckin anons). With this in mind, how else do you expect Veeky Forums to react to someone like Jordan Peterson, a single man who has made plenty of human errors and could not possibly absorb all the necessary information required to achieve the same level of "enlightenment" as a constantly changing group of unique anonymous people, other than with frothing fury over his popularity?

>like the parent they most probably didn't have
The death of my mother and my following of Jordan Peterson have nothing to do with each other user.

Nothing :'(

No, I was only indicating that what you talk about doing, they are doing there.

youtube.com/watch?v=MBWyBdUYPgk

This video is the most valuable hour and a half I've spent in the past month.

>He has a less-than-perfect grasp of philosophy
He has a grasp of philosophy lifted from Peter Hicks, less-than-perfect is far too charitable.

>this a board that fellates marxists authors and theory all fucking day
Are you on drugs? Can you read?

Damn, that kind of just blew my mind. Giving Anonymoose too much credit, maybe, but you make a point I haven't considered before.

This poster is a skeleton. Do not trust what he says

What did you do in July?

I expected the first reply to prove precisely what I said, but it would have been nice if you actually made an argument.

He doesnt condescend. He understands the conditions that have lead men to be unhappy with society, and the various ways society has failed men and boys and hes correcting those mistakes by encouraging men to embrace masculinity and self determination, i think hes trying to make weak men strong and that should be admired. Decadency has lead to too many weak people and we need to correct that and have people correct themselves. I think his advice makes men take action that makes them happier, thats a good thing for everyone.

I admit he isnt perfect. His advice is pragmatic though, its getting men who would be otherwise unhappy neet man children to actually try and help themselves and become something better. Even for all his errors people should be able to see that he is helping and respect that, hes doing more to help than anyone on Veeky Forums ever did.

Fuck me if I need to, regardless of what two neckbeards argue about on taiwanese weaving forum, fact remains Hicks is an objectivist crank and Peterson has literally zero qualifications to talk about philosophy, but okay, I very much look forward to the day when Peterson or his rabid fanbase tries to stop university courses on Kant or Roussau because they are responsible for postmodernism (Hicks's account of history of philosophy, everyone). The reality crash will be unreal.

>Giving Anonymoose too much credit

Neither the knowledge nor the vitriol of this place can be overstated. Veeky Forums as a whole really is just 50-something variations of Rick. Damn near infinite wisdom owed to the countless contributions of individuals and the exponential autistic corrections and vitriolic criticism given between them, but we rarely apply this wisdom in a way that genuinely benefits humanity at large, and we seem to prefer to stew in this dark dive bar of a website feeling sorry for ourselves. At least JBP is TRYING to make people attempt to better themselves, and he seems to have a non-zero, non-negative impact on the people who watch his shit, which is something I truly admire even in the face of his glaring ignorance on some of the topics he speaks about.

From what I understand it's not about becoming a strong man but not being a child anymore. Which is hard for young men who did not grow up completely, due to bad parenting and various factors. I know the word condescending seems strong but it is appropriate, a parent has to talk to an unruly child like that to make his point understood.

I say he doesnt codescend because in non of his talks does he talk down to people, i think in line with what he says about parenting he tries to understand people and come down to their level which is likely part of his appeal to young men.

When i say strong man i merely mean becoming a strong masculine figure which he encourages, he talks about masculine archetypes and the use men have to embody some of those archetypes, and the fulfilment one gets as a man, by acting like a man. Growing up is definately part of that.

>he tries to understand people and come down to their level
I understand there is often a negative connotation attached to the word but this is exactly what condescending means

Read Nietzsche

Condscending means to speak patronizingly from a position of superiority, at least thats my dictionaries definition. I have never seen it used to describe coming down the level of another, ive always seen it used distinctly to describe how one puts others below themselves. I guess this is just semantics though. I get your point and i think we botb agree fundamentally.

Its a collective of slightly higher than average people with a ton of resentment toward the world.

Obviously it's going to hate a man who taught at Harvard and preaches self-motivation and the acceptance of responsibility.

Come at me, user

no im scared

Makes /leftypol/ and Veeky Forums really fucking upset.

Must be doing something right.

No really, I have something to give you

What is it?

My aids from all my faggot homosex

No thanks

why are you even here if you have such low regard for anything this board has to say that just pissing off Veeky Forums is good enough for you to agree with somebody?

He's an extraordinary orator, but very clumsy with things besides psychology. I respect him but he's far from an authority on most of the topics he talks about, unlike the other good youtube lecturers that lazy but philosophically minded people such as myself end up listening to when they ought to be reading.
People say the same thing about Noam Chomsky with linguistics, but even if he's radically wrong about all his political views you have to admit he has highly consistent and scholarly positions and can pretty much eviscerate anyone who tries to debate him. Peterson often just comes off as really uniformed outside of his field though.

he is a meme but I deeply admire him

That he's a crypto jew but I don't know his ulterior motive. I think he's honest in what he says so him being a half jew isn't all that off-putting for me. In general I think he's a father figure for many young males. Rather him than one of the many other alt right plebs

the guy is alright, his criticism of postmodernism is basicaly a more juvenile version of Chomsky's criticism on the same topic. I think everyone who spends some time in the humanities will go through a phase of hating postmodernism, it's just the natural thing to do after you've been exposed to it for a few years. After some time you sort of make peace with the whole thing, and realize it's not as bad as you thought and you just let the postmodernists in your department do their thing, they hardly bother anyone. Loud and obnoxious postmodernists are usually freshmen who have just read 1 chapter of some foucault book and believe they have been enlightned, but this passes (for most people).

this gets asked everyday and everyday I ask myself, is Peterson really this pathetic?
Sage

>you have to read to be smart

he's a fag bragging about his IQ on jewtube
utterly useless smug scum of the earth

He looks pretty rough for 55. If he's not careful he could end up burning himself out.

> Groups make your individual opinion

Wew. Is that why all white people are white nationalists and blacks are always, forever, oppressed minorities?

he sometimes gets choked up and amazed by his own sentences. i still kinda like him though.

low IQ beta confused about his sexuality detected
are you really that intimidated by a superior mind?

>IQ
>5 dimensions of personality
Literally pseudoscience.

brainlet

Didn't bother looking into any of his work because I know its not work it.

Go take some more Myers Briggs tests and convince yourself that you've become self-aware you fucking sheep.

No, but you have to be smart to read and understand the texts he's ripping off.

>Once you figure out where you are in the 5 dimensions of personality and what your I.Q is you can figure out roughly what youd be suited to in life, someone who is highly agreeable will likely find most of their fulfillment through interpersonal relationships, someone who is disagreeable, creative, but has low conciousness and has an I.Q in the range of 120+ is likely very suites to being an entrepanuer ect

does he have a specific video on this that you could point me towards?

I give 0 fucks about that. If you think IQ is bullshit you are a brainlet.

Its actually 10 dimensions, since each dimension has 2 subdimensions.

Keep letting your estimation of your own self worth be defined by some standards set arbitrarily by a list of logic puzzles and riddles made up by a bunch of self-righteous ((intellectuals)).

Come on you spineless bitch, don't even pretend. You even fucked up those parentheses.

IQ is the least arbitrary measurement in the mess that is psychology and scientists actually have no idea what the fuck to do about the fact that a substantial portion of the population will simply be too dumb to find work in the near future.

I explained in a previous thread why he's wrong about metaphysics and aesthetics. Those are his most egregious errors, along with the time he fucked up Godel

It's his whole "Personality and its transformation" series

>a substantial portion of the population will simply be too dumb to find work in the near future
Even if IQ were a valid measure of intellectual capability (something I'm very dubious of), it certainly has nothing to do with how hard working and charismatic an individual is. Until the robotic revolution occurs (it won't), this will still be a better measure of who is able to secure a job. Most jobs have almost no intellectual component whatsoever.

Robert M. Pirsig for millennials basically.

>pseudoscience

Literally science.

>Arguing against the validity of an intelligence test by saying that intelligence isn't as important as something else.

I'm so amused that room-temperature IQ's always commit comment suicide.

Idk what to think about him I haven't finished making my bed yet