/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Keep them out! Edition
>What sff book are you reading?
>What sff book you last read?
>What sff book are you going to read next?
Report any post discussing pol.

>/SFFG/ Recommendations:
FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous threads:

>Jew approved edition

I didn't think /sffg/ could get anymore reddit

First for having read Eugenio Loboe after everyone shilling him in these threads and loving every book.

Is Larson really worth reading? I keep seeing people shilling his Undying Mercenaries or whatever.

I'm from le /pol/ and genuinely don't want to see arguments about history and statistics in here, I get enough of that on /pol/. I think it's pretty obvious that there's one butthurt lefty in here who intentionally baits and tries to start shit hoping to make us look bad, and a bunch of autistic screechers who buy into it, but that doesn't mean the thread has to be constantly derailed. Op pic was stupid and pretty much guaranteed to start a fight be c'est la vies

>Eugenio Loboe
motherfucker I even googled that before it clicked

Perfect pic, maybe this will stop the raid

Nice retardation OP.
That's a surefire way to waste another thread with inane shitposting.

This. Also a /pol/fag. I come to Veeky Forums to get AWAY from that shit. If you guys can't recognize a troll when you see it, I don't know what to say.

Anyway, this isn't a thread about /pol/. I just finished Dying Earth, and already read Demon Princes and The Languages of Pao. Loved it all. Where should I go next, Vancewise?

Its pretty clearly someone from 4+Veeky Forums shitposting. I remember someone linking one of their threads a few month back in here and it was the cringiest underage shit of them bragging about getting replies.

So, any fantasy or scifi about quarantined groups of people (or other races/aliens)? Maybe something similar to Metro 2033? They're not exactly quarantined but humans have fled underground and they try to keep the monsters out.

>>What sff book are you reading?
Been trying to find some time to read Gloriana
>>What sff book you last read?
Phoenix in Obsidian. Fucking awesome(Yes i love the Moorcock)
>>What sff book are you going to read next?
Gonna take a break from the Eternal Champion stuff and pick up Gormenghast.

Speaking of Moorcock, i just want a clarification on something.
When the OP image of selected fantasy books includes Elric of Melnibone, I assume we mean the entire saga. Because Stormbringer is the shit.

Thank you OP for another awful thread.

You're only proving how good a troll it is.

>Bauchelain and Korbal Broach

Is this shit good? I want necromancy but not malazan 10 book epic series

what's that one fantasy series where the authors (there were two authors that worked on it) made a whole elf language (like literally a whole giant language, like Tolkien, not just one-off words) and grammatical system. all of their elves had incredibly long names too.

i know that's not incredibly unique for fantasy, but that's all I can remember.

writing post-apocalyptic GRI conan+cute girl (male) duo story here, if I were to post an excerpt would anyone want to read it? The excerpt is over 6,000 words, might go up to 7 when I finish later today. If I posted it, what hosting method would be preferred, jpg screencap or pastebin or something else I don't know about (don't want to use googledocs desu)

Just wrapped up the entire Discworld series. Engaging throughout but the first 4-5 and last 4-5 were kinda weak.

What should be next on the list? Preferably trilogies or shorter. Pic related, I've checked off whatever I've read so far.

Way of Shadows if you want something cheesy and is a trilogy.

Try Tim Powers, K J Parker or Guy Gavriel Kay. All have plenty of standalones or shorter series (duologies, trilogies).

Yeah, aren't there other series where they just list the first entry?

Am I gonna cry when I get to Stormbringer? I've heard it's gut-wrenching and devastating.

Ditto, I just finished House on the Borderland. Try reading Hodgsin sometime, it's a real trip.

He's high on my list.

>What sff are you reading?
nothing
>what sff book you last read
lord of the rings
>what sff book are you going to read next
i want to read book of the new sun but i think im going to save that for my personal end of the year book/book series. hopefully book of the new sun with cap off the end of the year like lotr did.

im up for suggestions for right now though.

I forgot to mark Night Angel, Farseer, Witcher and Once and Future King.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards either The Anubis Gates (I'd read The Drawing of the Dark earlier) or the Tyrants and Kings trilogy by John Marco.

You failed to provide any preferences :3

Anything Jack Vance. Demon Princes for SciFi, Tales of the Dying Earth for Fantasy.

blindsight lad

>/pol/

speak of the devil

Can't go wrong with the Anubis Gates. Along with Declare it's the best book I've read by Powers.

Who can you all recommend for offbeat/weird fantasy, similar to the following:

>Clive Barker
>Neil Gaiman
>Fritz Lieber
>China Mieville
>Michael Moorcock
>Mervyn Peake
>Mary Shelley
>Jack Vance
>Gene Wolfe
>Roger Zelazny

Do any works explore the fact we evolved from rats?

Is there a place where I can just download books for free?

Yeah its call the internet

The Book of All Hours

Where do I find this net

read the sticky you plebhead

Cheers m8

I just got it too, the mother fucker, kek

The way of kings. Just about to read the last 100 pages.
>>What sff book you last read?
The thran
The 3rd book of the artifact cycle. I'm starting to think magic the gathering lore is filled with cuck novels.

Also, started the writing board of a new story about demons and humans. I'll use the demon cycle as a reference on how not to fuck the world builded and characters.

Equal Rites is amazing, the hell man. Of course Guards! Guards! is probably the high point of the series and one of the high points of fantasy in general.

I've managed to write exactly one paragraph of the rise and fall of Nazi Germany set in a fantasy realm but the Germans are the good guys.

please respond to my post

are they Nazi Germany™ or Notzi Jermoney?

I'm not sure if this is a Veeky Forums meme or just a bad joke or what, I don't usually post here.

Here we go lads. Be gentle.

The rolling plains between the Bluestone Mountains and the Haldrin River are a region of excess. Excess crops; for those farmers tilling its night black soil. Excess riches; for the miners in the foothills. And excess beauty; for the sun that crests the mountains every morning to burn away the morning fog that sleeps on the fields of grain and the villages that straddle Haldrin’s tributaries.
Cradled in these idyllic plains the Furin nation prospers. Husbands and fathers work diligently for the mothers of their numerous children, who grow strong and proud knowing that they are the heirs to a great land.

Pic related.
And Jasper Fforde I guess. For some indiscernible reason I am already on book 4 of the Thursday Next series.

damn it

I was asking if it was literally the Third Reich transported into a fantasy world, or a fantasy version of the third reich (Not-Germany). Seems like the latter.

It's not great but I've read worse. The idyllic opening scene can lack interest, just as a word of advice, so if that's your first paragraph you might consider if there's enough to really "hook" a reader.

Probably too early to worry about that, "write now, edit later" is a meme containing good advice

>It's not great but I've read worse.

And what I mean by this is, literally "It's not the best thing I've ever read, but is above the standards of most first-try, and plenty that gets published." Keep banging away and make sure you're trying to tell a story that leads to your thesis/worldview, not hammering a worldview into your readers eyesockets with the camouflage of a story

Thanks m8 I appreciate the feedback. I'll be honest I've really fallen out of writing and I'm just doing my best right now to get back into it. It's coming in kicks and jumps.

What's a good fantasy book where a grown woman gets spanked?

OBJECTION!
user is leading the witness!

That depends. Are you a faggot? If so then you probably shouldn't read Undying Mercenaries because it's wonderfully pulp and pulp is only for large-penised warrior kings.

Can't really be a large-penised warrior king if you're too much of a pussy to sexually dominate other men.

Wheel of Time according to what I hear, for a given value of good.

Reeee tell me where to host my gay fapfic already fuccboi

To Live Forever (aka "Clarges", what a terrible name) for a shorter work or Lyonesse for something longer.

What's the consensus on the all souls trilogy? Is it worth reading?

>Deborah
I think you know.

>Harkness
>when the author's name sounds like a mary sue character name

First two books were great. Then the author took years to release the third. By the time I read it all my hype was gone.

It was about Witches and Vampires. Was bretty gud, if I do say so myself. Scratched an itch I had years ago.

Fuck off /pol/ samefag

>I need to reply to myself twice

Calm down.

Definitely WoT

>I need to autisticscreechpost twice in a row

thread is absolute shit today, lads

>thread is absolute shit today, lads
I know mane The raid in the last thread fucked this one up

If we can tolerate a subject change...

I'm the user from the last thread who was asking about Elric. I found the first book for ten dollars, so I ordered it. Excited to try it when it arrives. Thanks all for the info. I also ordered some Leigh Brackett and some Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, what am I in for?

>pic unrelated, the Undine comes to Severian after he has fallen into Gyoll

Good picks. Now get some Gemmell in your life.

>Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser,

This has been in my to-read folder for a while, I have high hopes for when I finally get around to it. I like the Elric books, but they can feel a little "that's it?" after you finish. Pretty quick reads for me. Honestly found Melnibonean society and military campaigns more interesting than Elric's journeys, wish there had been more of that

Nice b8

>I like the Elric books, but they can feel a little "that's it?" after you finish.
John Wright actually summed this up perfectly about Moorcock's Elric stuff. He said since it's inherently nihilistic there's nothing for the stories to aspire or ascend to: they're just basic adventure stories. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but when a writer makes everything nihilistic then where the hell do you take it? Nowhere because there's nowhere for you to take it.

I love Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.

The Elric stuff is much better in the broader context of the Eternal Champion. It becomes far more meaningful, I think.

One step ahead of ya buddy! That's sitting on my shelf waiting for me once I finish my second reading of BotNS. Thanks for the rec

Palmer Eldritch did nothing wrong

How is The Night Angel trilogy? Is It GRI approved?

I have realized far too late that my novel is missing something important

it's set in a circus, so where are the clowns

I don't have a hilariously unnatural clown species with features such as balloon animal physiology, sumptuous meat, and multiple rows of regular human teeth that open and close separately

Yeah actually it has all of GRI, but it garners controversy because of how edgy it is. If you like darker stuff you'll like it.

Its kinda fun. Comes off as edgy at first but later on you realize how the edgelord character is the best.

Only mark against it is the main heroine is fucking awful, thankfully shes not around THAT much.

Arts of Dark and Light has orc rape. And two gay soldiers get executed. But no incest so far.

Add Lafferty to the list.

Poorly written, with resolution by pushing a magic button so both of them survive. I would pass.
Elric is a go.

how people in here are working on novels?

It's actually a concerted effort by people pretending to be communists to try and get /pol/ deleted, I kid you not. Their plan is to false flag as /pol/ posters and shit up all the boards to try and turn the mods/posters on /pol/.

They do not realize /pol/ was created as a containment board.

just post it m8

Bullshit.

Flight of the Lazarus (book 2 of a series)
>>What sff book you last read
Fusion Heart (book 1 of the series)
If this one goes how I think it will, I'll read the third one. Otherwise I'll reread Foundation. So far there's been some surprises despite it feels like some kind of teen novel. Is it true the writer started here? I heard about these in another thread about some gas station guy. Is it a meme?

Hermit here -- Is steampunk still a popular genre, or have people more or less moved on?

Problem with steampunk is the fact that all its literary showcases are absolute hogshit. Goes for cyberpunk too, minus the first 60 pages of Neuromancer and Altered Carbon.

Steampunk is trash and always was. Was it ever popular?

Anime drive genre.

Pastebin.

someone here recommended Name of the Wind to me, about to start reading it. what am I in for?

Please, user, this meme will never take off.

what meme?

Thanks lads. Any other good GRI recommendations?

A thousand pages of a hero's intrepid quest to pay his student loans

>what am I in for?
Someone post the page where the MC was being a cuck and talking about how great it felt that despite that man fucking his girlfriend she truly loved him.
I never remember to save it for shitposting purposes

Look at this nigga Rothfuss. Really pham?