ITT: the absolute worst thing you were forced to read as a child

ITT: the absolute worst thing you were forced to read as a child

Other urls found in this thread:

triplexbooks.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=PB-&sort=3d&page=28
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Note that I'm referencing the specific translation. Even though I'm an atheist now, I still enjoy the KJV quite a bit.

is it true that most churches use newer translations? First I heard of them was this month.

A Separate Peace. Even my dad has horrible memories of reading it from school

It's definitely not high art, but the author's story is pretty touching, and indeed maybe a little inspiring.

Yes, most churches use the ESV, NLT, NKJV, or NIV. The literacy level of the average protestant is incredibly low. I only ever read the NASB or KJV.

as an 11 year old it made me think the holocaust wasnt so bad

This fucking shit. My local used book store has a ton of copies.

Damn, I still have this thing. I got it at Mahaffey Camp in Pennsylvania at the book store when I was a kid

Loved this book as a kid, made the mistake of watching the movie a few years ago and realized how horribly written and nonsense it was. Wish I hadn't watched.

Seconded. Fuck that retarded book. John Knowles was a shitty writer and this book is no exception.

A Separate Piece is basically Lord of the Flies and Catcher in the Rye in one book, and it's awful.

Way better post-war novels should be read by kids that age, not this try-hard trash.

Whatever that book with the kid and his grandfather(?) holding on to a tree during a storm/tsunami on the cover is. I think it was 4th grade that I had to read it. I just remember that I hated every page of it.

Are you talking about the Cay? It's not his grandfather it's about this racist kid who becomes blind and gets stranded on an island with an old black guy who teaches him to not be racist. I had to read it in 6th grade.

Why do people praise this book? Is it because "YAAS QUEEN SLAY" because everyone in my class agreed it was awful.

Are you saying worst as in bad or worst as in painful/tear inducing? Isn't Red Fern a tearjerker?

This is a shitty book I had to read.

i'd take the message over NIV or KJV any day of the week

this was shitty, i don't think i even got halfway through it. i heard from some of my classmates there was some implied rape by a clown though, its a shame i didn't make it that far

It wasn't a clown, it was someone who worked operating local rides, more like a carny than anything but mostly a thug.
Still a bad book.

Then you're a complete moron. It's full of intentionally childish language, anachronisms, and paraphrasing. The NIV isn't great, but at least it's an actual translation. The KJV is beautiful.

Yes, that fucking book. Been a minute, forgot most of what it's about. I'm triggered.

this book was so fucking bad. nothing interesting at all

all that mandated "blacks are capable of writing too!" shit.

langston hughes, etc. all terrible.

I was too young to give a shit about it. Might have been better if I were a bit older before reading it.

I read the same version of this except the old guy was a jap from world war 2, which I think is a true story

That book made me cry when I read it in elementary school. I think at the end he returned to the island and remembered Timothy. Very sad, Desu.

None of them were necessarily bad books, but the amount of Holocaust-related material I had to read in (((school))) really started to wear on me after a while. Never read The Devil's Arithmetic, but there was Number the Stars (two separate years), Night, a novel I can't remember the name of about a contemporary Jewish girl who went back in time to the Holocaust, the diary of Anne Frank, as well as many movies and short stories, spread all through 5th grade to high school.

To Kill a Mockingbird

>Dude racism is bad lmao

I loved that book as a kid. It's actually really good. You should try again.

Good God, having to read that shit in middle school was awful.

Eh, it's alright if you like slice-of-life stuff.

DELETE THIS!

This stupid fucking book about some autistic kid who collects tins.

I had to read this shit in English class. Hated it.

shit, you'd think a book about a girl fucking a dog would be the talk of the fucking town.

Aw shit I remember this book. It was so boring though, it was just two guys stranded on a beach for the entire book, making straw huts and shit.

Noice was this for psyche class or veterinary school?

>Read as a kid
>as s kid.
If my school had something like that as a cover for our book all hell would break loose.

Fuckin read, nigga, it was English class.

Anyone remember The Face on the Milk Carton? My god, that was absolutely horrendous.

Artemis fowl probably

Any of the state-mandated holocaust books. Here in New Jersey, it's law that we have to learn about the Holocaust every school year. Of course, it is important to learn about genocide, but we could ONLY learn about the Holocaust. No Holodomor, no Cultural Revolution, no Khmer Rouge purges, just the 6 gorillion. Even worse, it was basically the same lesson every time:

>Fifth Grade
>Teacher: We are going to learn about a very sad event called the Holocaust.
>We get a background history of WW2 and read a book about a kid in the camps
>Me: That was pretty sad.

>Sixth Grade
>Teacher: We're going to learn about the Holocaust.
>Me: Wait, didn't we learn about this last year?
>Teacher: Yes, but we have to tell you this by law.
>We have the same lesson about WW2 and another bland story about a kid in the camps
>Me: Alright, that wasn't so bad

>Skip ahead to Eighth Grade
>Teacher: Time to learn about the Holocaust!
>The whole class groans
>We read another ham-fisted book about kids in the camps
>We'd been so de-sensitized to the subject that we start to make fun of it (behind the teacher's back)
>Class ends up hating jews

tldr; Schlocky Holocaust stories only make kids feel more blase about the event. I wouldn't be surprised if this cirriculum caused Gen Z to be so right-wing.

>Here in New Jersey
are you sure you're not in germany and just forgot? Because I fucking swear, after grade 5 ALL of history was exclusively about the fucking third reich. I get it. It was horrible. It's super important. But you know how much I give a SHIT about the INTRICACIES of BUREAUCRACY of the German government in 1945? I do NOT.

Seriously. America has shit educations, but we learned about the pyramids, about mesopotamia about... mesopotamia...

Just, fuck. The guilt is cloying and fuck that. I wasn't a nazi, tell me about the silk road goddammit.

Oh, trust me, it's not much better in burgerland either. All we really learned about was
>muh Injuns
>muh explorers
>muh slaves
>muh revolution
>muh Holocoaster
>muh civil rights
In my entire 12-year state education, we only learned about Rome for a 2-month period, most of which was dumbed down material. We didn't even learn about the Emperors or the Fall of Rome. That's right, we spent more time on "muh MLK" than we did on THE FOUNDATIONS OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION! We didn't even learn about the Middle Ages at all (no Charlemagne, no Byzantines, no Crusades). I legitimately learned more about history from reading and Veeky Forums than I learned from my entire taxpayer-funded education.

I dont know about World history because I was a science kid but my last year in spain we did spanish history from The glorious revolution( The one with Isabel II ) to The death of Franco

triplexbooks.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=PB-&sort=3d&page=28

The whole season box set, there's more after this page, it never ends

it's all this autist wrote

Scooby-Doo tier. We read this too.

I'm a hardcore Christian and I 100% agree.

my nigger, can't believe they had us read degenerate shit

This garbage

That sounds pretty comfy. I wish my old school taught me about the Spanish Civil War, but I know they'd probably just make it "LOVING PEACEFUL REVOLUTIONARIES GET MASSACRED BY EVIL NAZIS!"

It is bad though

Not a bad series though

There's more than one author there user. Which makes it worse, really.

Dude masterblaster lmao
Dude the dad is abusive lmao

Damn. In my highschool they made us read Crime and Punishment, Joyce, Chekhov; and, though in middleschool it wasn't mandatory, each classroom had a small library with books such as the illiad(my brother and i stole a few, since nobody'd miss them). And i live in fucking mexico.

>1980s
>even the cheapest, trashiest smut novels had decent cover art
>2017
>pic related

>It is bad though

Not all the time. If we're talking policy like Jim or Apartheid, yeah I agree, it's bad. Socially, I've found it be pretty useful. I've been in several situations where I had to apply the golden rule (around blacks, never relax) and ended up better off for it, where as the people around me decided to do otherwise and pay dearly. I'm totally okay with being a closet bigot if it means my safety is insured.

*assured I'm an idiot

>in grade 11
>English teacher forces us to read this bullshit sob story
>Nearly died of boredom and ultimately ditched and read the spark notes.
>Mean while all the other English classes get to read 1984, Fahrenheit 451 and other classic dystopian books.
Fuck that class

>tfw couldn't do this because my teachers knew about Sparknotes and deliberately wrote quizzes asking only information that wasn't on Sparknotes