German export beer

Just got myself a can of Oettinger beer. What do you guys think? Also generally everything about German beers.

Good bavarian beers:

>Augustiner Hell
>Riegele Aechtes Dunkel
>Schneider Weise Blond
>Riegele Comerzienrat

>Oettinger
>Export
That's what homeless bums drink in germany. It's cheap alcohol that tastes like shit.

All's I know is I fucking love bocks.

I'm Australian but I used to buy Oettinger all the time when I was broke as it's probably the best value for money beer you can get ($30 for a case of 500ml cans). Tastes like dirt but it's served me well over the years.

sorta like hollandia from the netherlands. its like five dollars for a sixpack of bottles lol

Reporting in from germany. It's the shittiest, cheapest beer we got here. Never saw anyone buying or drinking it besides homeless people on the street.

KEK

It's so cheap, shitty startups in Berlin give it to their retarded employees as a perk.

I’ve never tried drinking rat’s piss, but I have smelled it quite a bit (lab tech). Oettinger tastes like rat piss smells.

Only German beers I really like are Hofbrau Dunkel and Spaten. Everything else I’ve tried was watery, over hopped, musty or bland.

German beer is extremely overrated desu. Aecht Schlenkerla and Spaten are good but American craft beer is cheaper and just as good if not better.

Also Belgium and even the UK have better beers than Germany as far as Eurofags go.

Hollandia is €0,67 per 500ml can here in the Netherlands. Oettinger is even cheaper though, less than €0.50 per 500ml.

How would you rank Hollandia as far as your worst beers?

That is extremely cheap btw. Im shocked at how cheap.

Congratulations OP, you ordered the shittiest beer of germany. Next time try some Jever or Flensburger.

Schneider Aventinus and Celebrator Doppelbock are the best German beers.

Oh shit Schlenkerler Rauchbier, how could I forget that? That's some good shit.

Hollandia is perfectly functional and non-offensive, which is more than can be said for many other beers at that price range.

One of the cheapest beers in Australia. It's really no worse than our CUB beers. Better than Great Northern for sure.

It's the most popular beer in Germany, surely it's not just bums who drink it

Yeah, in the US you can't even get piss beer for that cheap usually

It's hard to compare the two. Oettinger tastes like shit whilst Great Northern has no flavour.

I really like Ayinger

BECKS.
becks is german, right?

Krombacher Pils, the 2nd most popular beer in Germany, is decent. It's a little boring but I like it, I don't always want to drink some 70 IBU hop bomb

Drink Danish beer you plebs

in aus it's between oettinger and hollandia for dirt cheap beer. hollandia is actually not too bad if you pour it into a glass/stein and keep it cold. oettinger is always fucking bad.

^this
The only time I ever drink Oettinger is when me and my friends buy palettes of 5.0 for RiP
The best german beer is still Stuttgarter Wasernbier desu

no, not only bums. poor people in general.

Löwenbräu is god tier and can't anyone tell me different senpai

>American craft beer is cheaper and just as good if not better.
American craft beers are shit - their idea of craft beer is to just absolutely load it with hops, presumably because American taste buds are so shot from awful diets. The beer makers can't even make a pilsner because they add so many hops it tastes like an ale.

They brew IPAs because they're impossible to fuck up, whereas brewing a pilsner actually takes some skill.

It's because of different taxing on alcohol and possible bottle deposits.

I was just in Florida and their beer there is absolutely undrinkable. Loaded with hops, and then they feel the need to put fruit in everything because LOLFLORIDA I guess. I got dragged to two breweries there.

Colorado wasn't much better desu.

My guess is a lot of Americans don't know what good beer should taste like, so their first attempt is to aggressively overcompensate for having a completely bland macrobrew industry.
Hopefully 10-15 years down the road they will settle down and find out about the word 'balance'

lmao oetti is literally known as the go-to punk and homeless brand. good choice

I wonder if the brewmasters know that their beers are unbalanced and bitter and they are just doing it because that's what they think customers want? Or are their tastebuds just desensitized by too many hops? So addicted to hops that they don’t even notice them anymore?

You'd think they'd travel and see what other countries do for beer and realize theirs is undrinkable.

IPAs are the number one selling craft beer in America. No wonder they are fat and have no taste. Nothing against IPAs, but it's like if brunello wine was the most popular wine. It's a wine reserved for a heavy meal or just with some cheese on a special occasion.

I think a lot of brewers don't mind, IPAs are easy to mask any bad flavours and are produced relatively quickly, pilsners and other lagers take around 3 times longer to brew which means more cost for storage and holding time, and off-flavors are more easily detectable because you don't have a metric ton of hops to hide behind.
If your customers are willing to pay top dollar for an easy to produce and difficult to fuck up recipe, why spend the care or effort to produce something that takes longer and requires more care and storage space?

Florida has shit growing land and shit water in a lot of the state. My favorite from there is Swamp Ape, they basically had to hop it up hardcore and make it strong to disguise the shit base ingredients they have to work with.

As a business decision it makes perfect sense, and I guess as a brewers it does too. Similar how I avoid cooking harder stuff when I have guests because I'm more likely to fuck it up, versus if I cook some easy crowd pleasers it is a sure fire win.

On top of that you have Americans desiring that slop.

I just can't imagine how they pair it with food. I ordered an American pils at a restaurant to have with a lighter meal, and it was loaded with hops and have ORANGE in it. I sent it back and ordered a Stella.

They are actually growing there? I thought they'd just buy material like everyone else. As far as water, it's a peninsula.

I think it has less to do with their resources and more to do with having no taste.

Truth. Although I go out of my way for good pilsner (rare) and legit craft lager (rarer). There's just not enough like me in burgerland. Thankfully we have lots of space and cheap freight so brewing yourself is in reach even for poor youngsters.

I don't know if they grow there, but they source water there, which is bad enough. It's not just peninsula, it's the swamplands and the bedrock, a lot of it is shit as far as reacting with the barley and hops. There are some truly piss awful beers in florida, Tampa comes to mind.

Actually pretty good water in Miami believe it or not but the scene last I was there was lelhopz. Like with anything you could overcome it with diligence and experimenting but you could also just put a naked girl on the label and fill it with synthetic fruit flavoring, and this will actually sell better. :(

This shit is lit

Yeah, Miami was where I was. Wynwood area had a lot of breweries, it was the shit you describe (synthetic fruit flavoring and a flashy label) and extremely overhopped. The upside is Miami has a lot of imports so easy to get non-domestic beers I guess.

Nope, Becks was bought by a Belgian company almost 20 years ago and since then they used the brand to sell ever pissier piss.

Not just "a Belgian company," but mfing InBev.

That's any big city. Tbh if you draw on enough of America there are decent crafts, also limited releases by larger companies can be delicious. Still hard no matter where you are to get some things
- smooth but interesting pilsner
- lager that is not too strong but not absolute dogshit quality either
- cask "real" ale (obv tougher for burgers than euros)

What's a Burgers best bet if they like pilsners and lagers? Just liquor store with a big beer selection and then when out drink macrobrews?

Sam Adams is decent for a macro, but that might be mostly bc it's competition is garbo-tier

You sound pretty educated in beer, if that's the best you can come up with I really feel bad for America right now.

I wasn't the guy you replied to, I was just giving my two cents

>Poor people drink it so it can't be good.

Wow what a fucking snob you are.

I personally like Franziskaner Weizen and Krombacher pils. The germans also make some excellent dark beers (especially the "dunkel weizen").

best beer right here

as someone who has been to europe on a work trip and has been working in beer for the past 6 years. you guys literally have no clue what youre talking about.

is a bit closer but not about the masking bad flavors part. America is the beer capital of the world. period. sure Belgium is is a beer mecha for lambics, flanders, quad and other trappist ales but try getting the variety of the US in Belguim and it aint happening.

the reason why brewers dont push much for lagers and pilsners (which isnt really true as all this depends on which state youre in) is because space. Other styles require less space as they can be brewed in vertical tanks as lagers and pilsners need to be done horizontally. A lot of coast side states do well with IPAs because they are relatively easy to make, and always sell well. floor space in a brewery is precious and if you are investing a lot of space into a more unpopular style then financially it just isnt worth it.

We make decent lager in Switzerland called Feldschlosschen. It's good and can be bought really cheap everywhere.

>feldschlösschen
>not quöllfrisch

>America is the beer capital of the world. period.
Look man I'm a flag waving, burger eating, clapping, tipping, proud American ... but microbrews are a fairly new thing for America. I mean even when I was a kid that was basically not a thing and I'm only 32.

I go to Germany too many times per year for work, and they have great beer but not the variety as you say. But they think of beer differently than we do - I'm not sure how to really word it but it is less important to have variety and they are looking for maybe a more stable and neutral beverage versus Americans seem to be more into huge variety and an "event" by drinking a beer. In a lot of ways Germany reminds me of the US when I was a kid where people would just have a bunch of Budweiser and think nothing more of it, it's the same there now where they just drink their own pils. I'm overgeneralizing I know, but, I'm there a lot.

the problem with Germany is that they are all trying to be the cheapest because thats for sure what everybody will drink. And youre right, they do think differently about it. every little town has their own house beer. People dont necessarily want innovation there but thats why they are left behind in the great way beer has advanced.

Ive been through europe and Latin America on beer trips. America is hands down the beer capital of the world. There is no style here that you cannot find and there is also no style here that isnt done well, which is key.

Craft beer hit big in the late 80'/early 90's which isnt shit compared to the hundreds of years beer has been around in other spots.But in the US craft beer hasnt stopped booming since. The US has the most microbreweries in the world. England is a close second in how great they have it when it comes to beer.

that being said Reissdorf kolsch is my favorite easy drinking german beer

It's budget tier, but not the worst. Decent enough if you just want a swilling lager.

The cheapest 5% beer I've found is €0,67 per liter, so ~€0,34 per 500ml, but that's on the verge of tasting bad.

Germany is even cheaper I believe.

>Reissdorf kolsch
I like that also. Koln is one of the places I travel to. When I buy Reissdorf here in the states it always seems flat. I guess it doesn't travel well or my supply chain is fucked.

I have a kegarator. as i too find that it for some reason tastes sweeter in cans. Buying a keg of reissdorf was about $190 which isnt bad but what i didnt like was having to buy the specific $80 German coupler that I have literally never used on anything besides that one keg.

I need to look for it in cans, maybe the bottle is what is causing the carbonation problems.

For me, it's Czech beers, the best alcoholic beverages that aren't vodka.

t. Pole

Heh, I've only had one so far. Plus I don't find them in bulk where I shop. But I'll give it another try.

>lagers and pilsners need to be done horizontally

[citation needed]

>in the great way beer has advanced.

Unironical the very best German beer. And only 45cents plus 25 pawn.

>Not Graffenwalder Gold
You must be rich

You bought into the corporate memes my friend.
Oettinger is very average, but it is certainly worth its price. Way better than any of the big brands or the supermarket shit.