Knives

Post knives, discuss knives, justify your purchases

>Vintage 10 3/4" Sabatier 5-Star Elephant
I wanted an authentic French style high-carbon knife and these are said to be among the best. Went with this particular one because it was the only one I could find that wasn't basically scrap metal, and I'm already used to working with 10" ones from work.
>I'm in love

I finger fucked one of those at a hipster knife shop in San Francisco. I went into the store expecting to walk out with the sab, but I was shocked at how crappy it felt, and the bolster was more troubling than I expected. I walked out kinda sad but I realized trying it in person had been a good idea.

I'll stick to my weeb knives.

Meh. I've used Sabatiers before, and really don't think a 10+" would be comfortable. I'll still with my G2.

Only 80 doolers.
Buying something Emeril Lagasse's signature emblazoned on it needs no justification.

Unless you have the height and hands of a rockbiter, 10" has less control than an 8" and thus less precision with a smaller person as well as making them feel less sharp because of the angle of the belly and the minute amount of control you lose.

Eh, I actually like the bolster. I got into the habit of pinching the blade with my thumb, index and middle finger; the last of which rests against the bolster and feels perfect to me.
Also
>pic related, scrap metal for sale

obvious bait is obvious

>I got into the habit of pinching the blade with my thumb, index and middle finger; the last of which rests against the bolster and feels perfect to me
You can tell if you cook knows what they're doing when a patina forms heavier just in front of the bolster.

I did grind off a portion of the bolster to make sharpening better though. And I put some cross-marks near the base of the spine, but polished them so it wouldn't be too rough on the callous. Keeps the knife from slipping should something happen and gives you a firmer grip.

Shun Premier Chefs, Shun Classic Nakiri, Wusthof Chefs, Wusthof Meat Slicer.

I use the Shuns for almost everything except tougher meats and for carving. Wusthof Chefs takes over then. I dont really use anything else.

165mm santoku. Used for most of my prep.
Shirogami #2

For larger jobs I break out the Wusthof classic. 10" (~255mm)

How much does something like that run?

Does it require sharpening stones and how often?

Is that the knife rachael ray uses?

Something like that is cheap, around $100-150.
Maybe $200 if you're getting something a bit bigger, or with a nicer handle or something.

Sharpening will simply depend how much you're using it. If you're using it 30 minutes a day, probably once every 3-6 months. If you're not even using it daily, probably even longer. If you're using it 5+ hours a day, probably a lot more often, but honestly anyone using their knife that much probably already knows they'll be sharpening their knives much faster than most people.

Sharpening stones are required unless you're going to take it to someone who does sharpening professionally.

no

This is my current knife bag lineup. It's pretty heavy on Dalstrongs. I purchased one for myself (the German style with the bolster) and liked it so much I picked up a few more to try out. The ceramic one is really the only one that I wouldn't recommend.

>Dalstrong
>he fell for Riky's scam

What grit stones should I be using to get this sharpy sharp.

>It's pretty heavy on Dalstrongs.
physically cringed

It’s soft steel so any 1000 stone should be fine. Maybe a 3k. If there’s a lot of chips on your knife you will need a very low grit stone to fix that quickly, 200-300 grit.

There are nice and not so nice stone out there. My personal favorite is Shapton Pro, just because I’m also new to sharpening and having a very hard stone helps, since you can gouge softer stones.

There are also combo stones, which are usually a good deal. I don’t think you’ll need anything more than a 1k stone at first since you have to practice anyway.

I need to sharpen my knife somehow, been using it since late 2015 without a sharpening
I was cutting up some chicken thighs last night and it didn't go well
really had to saw. Couldn't get all the meat off the bones

Do you want a usable knife, or are you autistic like me and want to take the time to make a knife stupid sharp for no particular reason?
>former
Get a chef's choice electric sharpener and a honing steel to maintain it, and learn how to use them
>latter
For getting into stone sharpening, I recommend a cheap combo sharpener; the "Sharp Pebble" brand on Amazon is pretty good for the money. The higher grit ones aren't very true to their rating, but they work just fine. I wouldn't recommend Shapton's till you find out if you actually enjoy sharpening with stones, as they're fucking expensive.

Can you guys recommend me a starter knife set that's relatively cheap? I want to improve my cooking abilities but the knives I have at home are cheap shit really.

No one here generally recommends knife sets.

And it really depends what you're looking for specifically.

Generally if you're looking to improve your ability you should be going for cheap knives so you aren't fucked incase you do something stupid and ruin it.

Especially considering most people on here would point you towards japanese high carbon steels which can chip easily with improper use.
I'd recommend getting your current knives sharpened unless they're truly garbage.

I want something that can chop vegetable and cut meat nicely. Maybe a set was the wrong word. One good knife, something that's actually good and durable with proper care. That's what I need.

My current knives sometimes bend when I'm trying to get grease out of the meat and have a shitty grip.

Budget?

Sounds like you could use a decent Santoku or Gyuto.

Wouldn't want to spend more than 50 euros since I'm a poorfag student.

I have a Kyocera ceramic knife that I used to love until it got dull.

How do you sharpen these?

I tried sharpening them in the same way you'd sharpen a steel knife using diamond stones and while it's clear that the knife is being ground away as evidenced by the ceramic swarf building up they never seem to get sharper. I know you can't raise a burr while sharpening but I know I've apexed it on the diamond stones and yet the knife feels dull af.

Not sure what country you're in but Wusthof Santoku, or the Wusthof classic chef's knife.

7-8" size.

At work right now I got some cool stuff at home but for now here my main knife Bob Kramer 8" me and her have been through a lot together. In only love my wife and kids slightly more than this knife

Wont compare to a true Kramer knife, but still a solid blade.

Could have probably gotten something less decorative but equal in quality for $50-75 less while keeping similar handle quality, blade profile, steel quality, etc.

But it looks cool I guess.

I'm not willing to drop true Kramer money but I have several mijabis and shuns. So it is my flashy knife. I had to get used to the heel but she's never failed me.

Left is a Mercer blade I got from the head chef of a brewpub I brewed at. He was my roomie. That thing is a beast. Tip was broke and edge was ground back from sharpening. Had to start over with that one. Lots of time with a file to get it into shape. Hard to take a lot of steel off so it’s pretty wedge like and I use it for bone.

Middle is a high carbon stainless chef knife from Walmart. It’s faberware. steel is actually good. Holds a decent edge and is very thin behind the edge. Almost a laser. Very ergonomic and I think it was like 29 dollars or something. Good buy. Use it for years, still do.

Last is JCK natures blue moon 210mm wa-gyuto. Cheapest I could find that was actually hand forged in Japan. Blue2 clad by stainless. Just arrived today. $98 dollarydoos. It’s my intro into weebshit. Its 50/50 ground, thin behind the edge, thick at the spine and very sharp. Making a ragu tonight to pop it’s cherry. Wish me luck.

What are those two knives on the right?

I was thinking of picking up some Richardson Sheffield Vs but I don't know if they're worth the money because I'm a brainlet who's never cooked properly in his life
I know they're not expensive top-tier stuff, but are they worth what money would be spent on them?

You don't, ceramic is retarded, throw them away.

what's wrong with dalstrongs?
I've never actually tried one

There's nothing wrong with them.

If you buy a set you usually get a bunch of knives you dont need at all, or some knives will have a quality you dont really need, or the main knife, that is the chef's knife, will be of poor quality. Buy a really good chef's knife and buy cheap shit for the rest (parer, pretty, slicer, bread knife, boning knife).

I'd guess the diamond stone is too rough and the edge you are grinding actually doesnt consist of a real edge but is really a pearlstring of tiny pyramids.

I need a solid all around knife i can use for cutting meat and vegetables.
I wont spend more than $120 on it. Whats my best option lads?
Also i'd prefer it come with a nice sheath or something to store it.

I dont mind it being Japanese but I don't want a fucking weeb knife. It can't look like i'm larping as Tanaka the sushi chef. I don't want something to show off autistically I want a dependable tool. it doesn't need to be too flashy

I've been using a 20cm Wusthof Grand Prix 2 for a good few years at work now, looking to get an upgrade, I fucking hate how the bolster meets the blade on certain Wusthof knives like mine, makes it a cunt to sharpen on the stone when you're hitting it all the time.

Looking at gyuto knives, any recommendations on websites to buy here in Aus?

Wüsthof Classic 9'', cant really go wrong with that. A life investment.

>Wüsthof Classic 9''
that might be a bit too pricey for me. I definitely cant afford the knife set.

there is literally nothing wrong with tanaka knives, stop worrying about being a weeb

i dont want a weeb knife I already have other weeby shit and am into weeby things. i dont need one more thing in my life that makes me look like a faggot.

this is a $65 dollar knife which is supposedly tremendously good for it's price, name good reasons why i shouldn't save money and get some other kind of knife.

i currently don't work in a kitchen, I just need something effective and that is a great tool

A reasonable assumption. Try polishing it on a mug.

Get the 8" wusthof classic. Like $60 less than the 9"

>8" wusthof classic
losing an inch wont fuck me up will it?

Nope, I prefer my 7.5" santoku to my 10" wusthof classic for 90% of my kitchen prep.

Bigger knives are nice for larger cuts, especially involving primal cuts of beef or similar tasks where you're breaking up something big that can take many large slices to work thorough.

I got these for free. What to keep and what to trash??

They all look pretty shit, tbqh.

i think two of them are like 40€ about

Bullshit you paid $2 and you know it. Don’t pretend you didn’t get financially raped. It happened

i payed 2€ for the tongs. knives are free in my work cos they arent allowed to sell them anymore. :^)

how do i sharpen my knives? should i twist the sharpening tool while going up and down?

Got a weeb knife for Christmas, feels good man

Second from top looks serviceable. Third from top is shit because the edge ends before the heel. A painn in the ass to sharpen. If the two at the bottom are the same they are shit too. The one with holes in theblade is probably shit anyway, useless gimmicck.

yeah thats the one i liked the most. the top one might be convienient for rockin choppin

Twist 360 degrees And throw away