Just finished reading the Inferno. I think its the best storu told. However, I would like /lits/ interpertation on it

Just finished reading the Inferno. I think its the best storu told. However, I would like /lits/ interpertation on it.

Which translation did you read? It is a pretty amazing work.

Wow OP, you speak Italian?

I read the Robert M. Durling translation.

I thought it was just a meme book but it really was a great read. Sort of like a redpill on morality.

Durling, huh. I've been comparing Longfellow, Ciardi, and Hollander, and I think one other I can't presently recall, but I don't think I even heard of this Durling version so maybe someone more informed on the book can offer a comparative opinion. Sorry for hijacking.

Do the translations even rhyme?

t.Italian

Som do most don't.

Is it the bomb in Italian?

Why did you stop after inferno? Are you planning on finishing the book?

Honestly I was just interested in Inferno but ik excited to find the other 2 parts and finish it off.

it is... grateful to be italian just for this :)

inferno is by all means the least interesting one - because the journey the reader goes through shares the elevating feature of dante's one... so you go through hell to be able to understand the purgatory etc.
im italian btw
feel free to ask questions about it.

>Read the Inferno in highschool, womeme teacher tries to explain things
>8 years later
>Having read Homer, Virgil, The Bible, Plato
>Realize how much I missed
>Realize there is still more to find

Yeah but the downside is that you have to be Italian :/

I'll bite.

It feels there's a huge spike in the difficulty somewhere around the middle of Purgatorio. Inferno was a breeze, at least as a surface level read through. I'm midway through Paradiso now and, though it's brilliant, the difficulty makes it a real slog. I'm reading in translation, is the same true in the original Italian?

I believe in translations to the other 3 romance languages (italian, french, spanish and portuguese) it might rhyme because of how similar they are (can only speak for portuguese though, kind of guessing spanish and french).

I read it first time in english, now I am re-reading it in the best translation to brazilian portuguese and it is honestly, evidently 50 times better than any english translation because portuguese is very similar to italian. For instance, my edition in portuguese has the italian text by side and I am always skimming through it and very, very often I see the exact same word with same syntax and semantic in the translation, which allows the translator to preserve the rhyme and musicality of the original text (at least in some parts), which is pretty impossible in english translations.

started learning italian this year, hopefully soon I will be able to read it in italian.

>pic related, italian and portuguese text of the mentioned translation and comparison of words

Of course it is, that's exactly what I was saying in my last post: the difficulty grows because the style gets higher and higher. Dante writes it explicitly with that image of the boat of his intellect leaving the shore, and more than once during its journey he asks the writer to "be ready" to his writing style getting more complex.

Really interesting, I know that our languages are extremely similar but never had the chance to see the Commedia translated. Keep it up!

fuck off pseud

>translation

It's the best piece of self insert fan fiction ever created that's for sure.

I already asked a few times here, but if you could give your opinion on what are some good writers for people studying italian? the one people recommended the most was calvino, because they said his writing was more simple and contemporary, opposed to some other classics that are written in a very archaic italian. can you give your opinion?

>what is romanian
Kill yourself pseud

You should buy the Editora 34 version. It took 15 years to be made.

I am very sorry I don't know all the languages known to men, brother.

also, I never said romanian might or not might [insert something, which I don't know what it is that I said that triggered you so bad]