ITT : Food from your region that people think is weird/gross

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DymkAsjNtv0
foodandwine.com/travel/united-states/skyline-chili-explained-by-a-cincinnatian
youtube.com/watch?v=KPexCkuE8Do
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i love skyline

dont have a pic, but most non-utahns are weirded the fuck out by funeral potatoes

i think its the cornflakes, a pretty unconventional (and unnecessary) ingredient in my opinion.

whenever I have it I just cannot get into the cinnamon flavor they use. It's overwhelming

this weird ass chili spaghetti covered in cheese is cinnamon flavoured?

t. canadian

it's a chili sauce with lots of different spices but they put fucking cinnamon in it as one of the key flavors. It's fucking weird as shit but some people really like it. It's greek in origin.

coasties can't appreciate the subtle flavors of hotdish

>cleaning that pan

Lol, Minnesota

just takes some elbow grease
plus its a meme pan, hotdish is usually made in a square pan

I don't think it's weird or gross, I just think it's an attempt to take a common US dish like chili and try to force it to be unique by tossing it it on a bed of spaghetti. I feel like a 5 year old came up with the idea.

You have this in Ohio too, though we do it better than you just like everything else.

Fuck you man, Skyline (and by extension other Cinci-style chilis like Gold Star etc) is delicious. If people don't like Skyline, that's their loss.

Mageiritsa (literally translates to little cook).

It's a soup made with green vegetables, rice, dill and lamb viscera, mainly liver and sometimes lungs.

Traditionally eaten at Saturday night before Easter in Greece.

People swear up and down that it's delicious. Personally just a whiff is enough to make me nauseous.

Just looking at it is making me mental. Hate when foreigners pretend it's nothing special, as if it can be gotten anywhere but here.

This sounds awesome. Mushroom soup is disgusting but I reckon chicken soup or mince beef with a sauce would do the trick.

Haoles act horrified until they try it

God i need to go back to new york

That wasn't really what OP asked. He asked about your regional foods that OTHER people think are weird. And there is incontrovertible evidence that there are plenty of people who do.

I like Cincy chili too, but facts are facts.

I'm from Cleveland and we'll put pierogi on fucking anything. Hot dogs, sandwiches, cheeseburgers, pizza, we even have "pierogi soup." Some people find that obsession a little weird, but then, who doesn't love pierogi?

Originally from Hawaii and was just thinking about this before you posted the obvious answer. There's ton's of shit that's pretty foreign to mainlanders, but the thing I think I've gotten the most flak for, both here and in real life, is putting soy sauce on rice. There are much stranger things that people commonly eat (e.g. Li hing mui), but I've gotten a lot of shit for thinking it was normal to put shoyu on your rice.

I used to bring a couple musubi to school every day for years growing up, but don't really like spam any other way, other than with rice and eggs. But yeah, most people change their opinion on spam when I make them musubi. Shit's the bomb.

Mainlanders think that's weird? I'm in Ohio, and the only kinds of rice I eat that aren't topped with an entree or a pilaf-style concoction are rice with soy sauce, or rice with butter and parsley.

In my experience, yeah. Most of the shit I've got was from posting OC here, though. Probably because of all the weebs who think that putting soy sauce on rice is taboo in Japan.

Funny story: One time, probably in high school, someone in class mentioned something about how shoyu on rice is the best thing ever, and a (haole) girl I was friends with piped up with something like, "yeah, soy sauce and a pat of butter is the best way to eat rice!" And half the class were like, "butter on rice? You're fucking crazy; nobody does that!"

Ohio is probably the most haole state I've spent more than a couple of days in. What on earth would compel you to relocate there?

What you're tasting is clove.

Nobody thinks putting soy sauce on rice is weird in mainland (AKA real) America.
We should have given you meth addicted fucks to the Japanese, or at never given you statehood. Worst state in the fucking union.

I'd most definitely eat most if not all of the food posted, but im not very picky either.

I'm sick of people making fun of my cuisine when they've never even tried it

youtube.com/watch?v=DymkAsjNtv0

this and kukko are the only original foods we have in this country and it's not even good.
>inb4 some finfag says something about carelian stew/pirogis.

It's anecdotal evidence versus anecdotal evidence, brah. I was just saying what I grew up with thinking was normal and have been told repeatedly is not. I guess I'll go back to li hing mui, or maybe squid luau.

From the coal/PA Dutch region in eastern PA. Man where do I start..

Red beet eggs
Pickled hot bologna
Scrapple
Sous
Mackerel with breakfast
S.o.s

>worst state in the fucking union

It's mind boggling to me that anyone could possibly believe this. Have you ever been to Alabama? Kentucky? Mississippi? Let alone fucking Texas?

Yes, I've been to all of the states you listed, and in none of them is a gallon of milk more expensive than Bush-era gasoline. The same cannot be said of Hawaii, brudda

Okay, so you're just a bitter poorfag will never as much as visit paradise.

**souse

And I forgot ham loaf, ring bologna, dandelion salad with hot bacon dressing and buttered noodles with ketchup

At least we can all probably agree that Pennsylvania is the best state in the union

There's beauty in the whole country, pal; the whole world It's everywhere you look. That being the case, I'd rather spend my time in places where my money will go further, and if I want to go somewhere tropical, you get a lot more bang for your buck in Mexico and the Caribbean.

Western PA is Ohio, Northern PA is upstate New York, and Southeastern PA is New Jersey. Seeing as all of those are mid-tier at best, I don't see how Pennsylvania could be considered the best state. Also, "best" is extremely subjective and based on what you want out of life(a complex topic in its own right), and whether you're talking about visiting or living there.

It's called the Keystone state for a reason dawg... country would fall apart without it.

Also that is a very poor description of regions within PA (except for northern PA and upstate New York)

PA could be nuked off the face of the earth and nobody would blink an eye.

>there's beauty in the whole country, pal

I guess that's why they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You're right, it's better to say that Northeastern Ohio is Western PA, and that South Jersey is Southeastern PA, and they're all low-tier regions. There are no decent cities between NYC and Richmond.

People don't say that ironically. It's literally true.

totally brah wheres the bar?
what about my gnar surf with the beach babes?

Got you covered.

>Mackerel with breakfast
Scandinavia did this before your country existed

>real america

Trump tards are cute.

You sure? I live on the west coast and it's a fairly common practice to eat rice with soy sauce

In spain we eat bull's testicle.
Pretty tasty.

Trump is a retard, but so are you. If I can't drive to your state without crossing an international border, you aren't a real state.

I grew up in SE Texas, Houston/Galveston area. The seafood is great, so is the food scene in general, but there's nothing here you can't get somewhere else. No one in this part of the country is actually from here, booming economy means everyone moves here from somewhere else.

That said, I mostly eat a lot of Vietnamese, German, and Cajun food for dem gainz

that's literally what rice, spam and seaweed? it's not going to taste bad with those ingredients but I can fry up some eggs and bacon and it won't taste bad either.

This thread isnt about who did what first.
I'm just saying, it's not common in the U.s Us an most people probably would fun it gross

Still bad

>fake america

hillshills are gross.

More like little cock

foodandwine.com/travel/united-states/skyline-chili-explained-by-a-cincinnatian
>Skyline is known for containing both chocolate and cinnamon and being served over unseasoned spaghetti with a giant mountain of unnaturally orange, shredded cheddar cheese thrown on top.
maybe clove is in there too but it's certainly both of these ingredients

In New Jersey pork roll is a breakfast staple but outsiders find it to be tio salty or just generally dislike the taste. It's delicious fried up on a flat top with egg and cheese on a Kaiser roll.

i moved to the states a few years ago and my new american friends were not sold on the idea of poutine they said it sounded disgusting, well jokes on them now they are fat

>pork roll, egg and cheese on a Kaiser roll.
are you deaner or gener?

Sounds delicious. Is it true they even serve it at McDicks up there?

>are you deaner or gener?
Wut?

Hotdish is cancer.

Also, chislic is decent.

t - South Dakota

as a ween fan from California I spent $17 US DOLLARS on a pound of pork roll, bought two Kaiser rolls and made pork roll egg and cheese sandwiches by the book, but it honestly tasted like Treet (pic related) honestly. Had that sourness, but was definitely chewier than its competition. Pretty good.

she fucks me

youtube.com/watch?v=KPexCkuE8Do

Never had treet before but I'll look out for it and see if there's a diffrence.

>taylor """""""""""""ham""""""""""""""
shit's bad my dude, I prefer my ham sweeter if it's going to be that salty

It's pork roll my guy nobody said anything about ham.

it's honestly not even that salty, if anything it's pretty sour

do i honestly have the same tastebuds as everyone else? because nobody is commenting on the sourness except me.

well then I guess i've never had it
I'll give it a try next time I see some, if I ever find it.

I hear you cant get it outside of NJ or eastern PA but i hope you enjoy it if you do find it.

Treet meat is basically spam but good

i unironically eat this twice a month. favorite food

Cornbread and milk.
People act like I'm eating vomit. It's literally cereal.

Friend from Iowa sold me on the lumberjacks breakfast.

"Maniçoba" or "Mandiçoba". You need to boil the manioc leaves for one week (nonstopping) to get rid of the poison, if you cook it wrong, you can die. Believe me, it's fucking good.

Goetta is definitely not like scrapple. Former NJ, now in OH here

Pork roll is definitely something no one outside of the NJ and surrounding communities likes tho

It's not a chili sauce at all, because it contains no actual chiles. It's a greek meat sauce.

>you can die

sounds awesome!

pork roll and taylor ham are the same thing

but that's delicious you faggot

what does it taste like

this apparently

OH SHIT

TAYLOR HAM AND MOTHERFUCKIN EGG

i wish i could say exactly, but every dish or leaf that i think to compare are also regional. maybe you already ate african or, specially, amazonian food you can have a clue. I can say that's a savory dish, has an exotic dark wild leaves taste, a little bit of an earthy taste, strong flavor, that's all i can think of it. It's also not bitter, nor sweet and nor sour.
i never thought that it could exist, i need to try right now
i always wanted to eat poutine
it looks really tasty and comfy

does it taste like cassava? because i've had that and it's fucking delicious. Coworker is from Sierra Leone.

regardless of your semantics they call it skyline chili because it is a tomato based spiced meat sauce

just find the nearest Sbarro....

This shit here is delicious but so many people find eating a bit of animal blood gross.

I see you've made a not-so-subtle request for a (you). Well here it is!

I'm here to tell you that literally nobody thinks soy sauce on rice is weird.

Peanuts and Coke. Every time it’s brought up here anons act like it’s some kind of meme people made up for laughs but I just did it casually growing up because it was a thing old timers did that turned out to actually be pretty good. A summertime treat really.

>pretending that someone disliked the idea of potatoes, gravy, and cheese

Why would you lie?

>tomato based spiced meat sauce
But chili didn't have tomatoes in it originally. It was chilies and meat. If there are no chilies, it is, by definition, not chili. I'm tired of people dismissing semantic gripes as trivial, since semantics are the only reason we're able to understand each other at all. Communication can only exist when meanings are shared.

This is just an excuse for frogfags to eat butter and garlic because eating a bowl of butter and garlic would be obscene.

Only other parts of America think ground offal is weird.