I want to believe in God but I can't stop viewing it as a ploy to control poor people via an Oedipal father complex...

I want to believe in God but I can't stop viewing it as a ploy to control poor people via an Oedipal father complex. How do I stop

Why do you want to believe in God?

try to preserve the shaker movement

Fear death more than you love truth

Find peace? Acknowledge there's something greater? Interest in mysticism?

>poor people
>Oedipal father complex
you just described the christfags infesting the internet.
maybe use your brain more and you won't turn into a massive faggot

Because Veeky Forums and /pol/ told him not believing in God is super reddit.

Why is it Christianity attracts some of the brightest minds and some of the dimmest? Like I've never met a middlebrow Christian, they're either Dostoevsky tier or a retarded flyover state Protestant

Dunning-Kruger effect? Seems related if not the actual cause.

the smart ones know it's bullshit but use it to exploit the stupid ones and to delude themselves. the latter sounds bad but self-delusion is really just believing in yourself.

read the new testament?

Rene Girard is your guy. There are a lot of critiques of Freud and the oedipal complex but Girard is nice because he says "Freud existing proves me right. His mistake was not going far enough."

He's got a solid critique of Nietzsche as well. In Girard's words, "the greatness of Nietzsche lies not in his being correct, but in him suffering so much to be wrong."

>accepting the idea that there may be a higher power means you have to be a cuck and limit yourself to appease a church that's only 2000 years old

This. As soon as his opinion isn't the "dominant" one he switches teams so as to not look bad.

Sanātana-dharma is the only true faith

I don't think belief means blindly following authority. I can't comprehend how the latter can be seen as virtue at all.

It shouldn't be.
>Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

in what way does dosto correspond to either of those

he's what smarter christians read.

Contrarianism is unironically the path to salvation

if you call yourself a contrarian you're fucked

I disagree

Diogenes was right

So many christian fedoralords on this boards

> I want to believe in God

I want to believe I'm gonna get rich and fuck super models every day but that isn't going to invalidate all the evidence to the contrary I face every day.

You have evidence that there is no God?

Everything mankind has, especially good things, they always try to turn towards evil.

Hammers are great things, but them some asshole kills another dude with it.

Religion is the same thing, basically a good thing, but it's always been used as a tool of subjugation and evil control. You kind of have to look beyond that, and stick to the actual tenants of any religion in order for it to remain pure, which is what most religions teach and hardly anybody ever listens to them.

Even in a worse case scenario where a religion is completely corrupt, that still doesn't mean there is no god.

Maybe watch Kingdom of Heaven, the directors cut. This actually does touch on a lot of these ideas.

but it is a ploy to control poor people

If you're gonna be a gaylord and argue for a Deistic God who created the initial matter in the universe and fucked off then no. If you're a member of any organized religion then the flaws are self-evident.

This is actually the most useful comment here, I second it, if Freud is his main problem with Christianity.

What does Freud have to do with Christianity at all.

In my OP I said my main problem was that I think it preys on people's need for a father authority because it comforts them that there is some sort of human, comprehensible control in the world. Kind of like conspiracy theorists

Tolstoy was a Christian!

Not true, he was closer to an arian than a christian.

Humanity's need for authority is not Freud's invention. Neither does Freud show any great insight in the matter.

God anticipated the Oedipal complex and structured the universe so that in our most broken state we flock to Him. This is why girls call their lovers Daddy

bump

You should both read theology and examine the long history of the miraculous in the world. You will thus approach the problem of God from both a naturalist and a supernaturalist perspective, and hopefully your twin investigations will meet at the center.

Examine your own Oedipal father complex.

Stop browsing reddit

Wrong. One must be totally contrary to the Antichrist, which all live in, to be saved.
Evidence doesn't exist.

>self-evident
It isn't the 1600-1700s anymore. You need to actually argue your point instead of rely on nonargument.

t. reddit browser

Snakes aren't wise at all. They're not even cunning and they generally don't employ any hunting techniques other than bite thing or strangle thing or both
God the Bible's authors knew so little about the world

>evidence doesn't exist