What does Veeky Forums think about the ebook? Is it worth getting...

What does Veeky Forums think about the ebook? Is it worth getting? I've been thinking of getting one because i'll probably be moving and I can't take many physical books with me.
Is it also possible to add in books in PDF format and read them without problems? like passing a PDF from the computer to the USB key, for example.

I'd appreciate some help and protips, I literally know nothing about them, and I want to know something before spending the money in one of them.

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why none of you ereader faggots do you research?
They are shit tier for PDF you need epub or something else.
Dont get cucked by amazon buy a kobo.
Use fucking calibre to transfer your books

FUCK

How much money are you willing to spend? What do you want from the device, besides the pdfs? Because pdfs usually work like crap. Why not epub or mobi files?

I did research but the information didn't seem reliable, for example I didn't even read anything related to Calibre.
I saw that in Fnac they got Kobo, if it's that good I might end up getting it.

I don't know, around 100€? I just want a decent ereader. I didn't know pdf didn't work well, I just mentioned pdf because I have some books in pdf format, but if I can convert them to a file that can work well in the ereader that's fine.

kobos are like... 60 bucks the most basic model i think, but if you want fancy shit like water resistance they are more expensive.

1. Calibre is nice to read .epub files on the computer, convert files, etc.

2. Buy a Kobo or Bookeen (both easy to find in France), avoid Amazon because it has proprietary format instead of .epub

3. E-readers can read PDFs but it's not optimal at all, get .epub files instead

4. Yes it's worth getting

You can convert epubs to Amazon format easily though

Calibre is easy, and it's great for editing and cleaning up non-retail ebooks. It's also an awesome way to organize your digital library. I have almost 4000 volumes, so it's an absolute must for me. I never use amazon's email utility, I transfer books to my kindle through calibre, where I can customize formats, fonts, covers, etc. The capabilities of the two are even better with a jail-broken kindle, but I haven't done that myself. I do keep it in airplane mode, so I avoid the firmware updates and the amazon ecosystem.
As many have said, PDFs do not usually translate well to epub/mobi/azw3. It sometimes helps to trim the margins with a tool like Bris, but no guarantees. If you want something for PDFs, get a tablet.

I got a Kobo Glo something for 80 euro.
Was a great investment, can pirate books no problem and it made me read more, mostly before sleeping because I can do it in the dark now.
PDFs are terrible with it however

iPad (mini) > every single ereader/kobo/whatever

>iPad (mini) > every single ereader/kobo/whatever
For everything except reading ebooks, maybe.
I get a headache eventually when reading on any tablet. With e-ink, even when in direct sunlight or a dark room with the backlight on, I can read for hours with no problem.
I love my iPad, but when I want to read, I grab my Paperwhite.

Kobo (and other manufacturers) make larger e-readers that work much better with PDFs. They are considerably more expensive. Do not try to read PDFs on typical 6" screens, it's torture. microSD expansion slots are a plus but not absolutely necessary as the files tend to be small.

If you want to stay legal Amazon is fine. Otherwise you're better off with another manufacturer that supports more formats. Another thing to consider is public library e-book lending; check your library's web site to see what type of devices they support.

If you just want to try it out pick up a used model on eBay, you can get them quite cheap. I have an ancient Nook and it still works great.

What's everybody's opinion on phone reading? I downloaded the Kindle app since I've been lending my Paperwhite to my mother, and it's kind of convenient to whip it out to read in short sittings when I'm on the train or something but I'm aware of my brain trying to read things to fast because it's on an LCD and I don't like it.

Yes, it's worth it. Absolutely.
You'll need books in epub or mobi format though, based on which one you buy. Fortunately these are the most common ebook file types, you won't have problems finding them online. And yes, you can just
connect the reader via USB, even the Amazon one.

The paperwhite is what I'd go for. It's often on sale, so wait for one.

I started reading again thanks to phone reading. Nowadays I use the Kindle app with whispersync and my own ebooks. It's great.
If you don't want to get a Kindle at least download a local reader like moonreader or fbreader. It's worth bringing entire libraries always on you.

If you're already in the Amazon ecosystem I think the Kindle app is alright but if you use epubs I recommend Moon+ Reader. It's really good, I used to use it before I got my Kobo Glo.

Phone reading is not optimal (and that's why I got a Kobo) but Moon+ made things enjoyable enough.

>avoid Amazon because it has proprietary format instead of .epub
You can think of Amazon the company what you like, but I have both a 2nd kindle and a paperwhite and they work flawlessly with both .txt and mobi. There are hundreds of thousands of books you can read on a kindle without ever downloading something from amazon.

If you don't want an amazon reader don't complain if you can't read amazon books.

Physical books are unequivocally and inarguably better. There's literally no comparison. You're body, the sense, etc., don't respond the same. It's trash. The physical aesthetic experience is far and away a better reading experience. Anyone who says otherwise is trash. "hurr durr I can take 20,000 books with me though..." You're fucking retarded. No one needs to carry more than 3-5. You'll never journey anywhere longer than 3-5 books. Even then, in our modern world just go to the nearest store and get more. E-readers are for fucking faggots. Plain and simple.

E-readers are unequivocally and inarguably better. There's literally no comparison. You're body, the sense, etc., don't respond the same. It's trash. The technological experience is far and away a better reading experience. Anyone who says otherwise is an ancient Neanderthal. "hurr durr I can take 3-5 books with me though..." You're fucking retarded. Everyone needs to carry at least 20,000 books. You'll be a brainlet with just 3-5 books. Why even walk to the library full of hipsters and keep returning them. Books are for virgins, E-readers are for chads. Plain and simple.

this

>Autistic screeching

For those wasted money you could buy 5 quality hardbacks.

but it makes up for it with all the books you can get for free, user
not to mention all the 99 cent bundles

Those two things you mention make you sound like an Amazon representative...

okay? doesn't disprove what I said

No, it means you fell for the advertising trick.
Kindle is the literary equivalent of Netflix.
Watch on Netflix when you can download anything via torrent easly. But Netflix is "only click and watch" etc. Go on /tv/ and they'll tell you this.
Come on, I expect a little more sensibility at least from people who occasionally read.

how do you pirate a hardcover book

This guy is right and anyone saying a Paperwhite Kindle is better than an iPad is just poor.

What's a good place to pirate my epubs?

I bought Paperwhite. Honestly one of the best 100+ EUR purchases i've made in my life.

'Jailbroken' it, able to read epub' s without conversion + white text on black.

Wow, you just spouted insults and buzzwords with no justification, Good Post

ebooks is good for dipping without commitment. You can dedicate shelf space only to those books that interest you the most. Having everything physical you end up looking like a hoarder.

e-ink on the Kindle is superior.

I was talking whether one should use Kindle for reading ebooks.
You won't have a hardcover (nor paperback) no matter whether you use Kindle or not when you read ebooks. With Kindle you just pay for nothing, and the result is the same as when pirating - you read the book, but you don't get to own a hardcover.

I think I'm finally starting to figure out how capitalists get rich - via exploiting human stupidity. Those ad hoc arguments like yours for example make me go mad. I'm trying to convince myself that you're being ironic, but it's actually unironical argument. The sad thing is that you might've even read more books than me, but you're just plain stupid for some reason. It's like the principle of doublethink. "What can you do, thought Winston, against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing, and then simply persists in his lunacy?"

Yeah, if you're an eyelet. Lol

How'd you jailbreak it breh? I'm scared of doing it but also kinda tempted

Nothing is stopping you from buying physical copies after pirating. If anything you'd probably save money and be able to get the exact translation/printing/binding you want. Your argument about capitalists getting rich exploiting human stupidity is particularly funny because you are the one wasting money. You were saying that Kindle is the literary equivalent of Netflix which is dumb, only buying physical books is the equivalent to only going to the theatres. Whereas the Kindle would be analogous to the TV you buy if you want to watch pirated shit. The quote at the end of your post makes me think maybe it was just bait but your other posts were retarded so maybe you're really just a retard.

And have that half a day of battery life opposed to a week on kindle? Never in this lifetime I'm imagining going back to tablet after experiencing eink's battery power.

I read books on my phone (thanks blue light filter) and have a small bookshelf of physical books I buy impulsively secondhand because I'm a retard. I much prefer the digital reading. Plus, it's free hehehe.

Its stupid easy. Put some 'special' amazon book on it and you're good to go. Just google around.
Best part is - you can downgrade system software at will to vulnerable version, and once done, you can update back.

gen.lib.rus.ec/

idiot

In what scenario would you need more? You're not reading for 12h without a break generally. You probably don't read while eating either. Charge the battery in the breaks and it might as well be infinite.

Though ya'll suck. All this shit is way too large and uncomfy, reading books on a phone is much nicer.

dumb phonereader

Just try it for a week or so, faggot.

It's glorious and you can read everywhere in every position. Nothing is more comfy than lying in your bed, leaning to the side while holding a small device in your hand. Books have the downside of you needing to turn pages while ereaders/tablets are suboptimal for one hand use.

Correct

>phone reader
my negro

>i have small girly hands
L m a o

I have no problems reading on my kindle using only one hand

Guys I have an epub format book with a lot of scan errors. Especially the headlines, which are in the wrong font. Is there any way to clean this up? I have Calibre, if that helps.

>Clay tablets are unequivocally and inarguably better. There's literally no comparison. You're body, the sense, etc., don't respond the same. It's trash. The physical aesthetic experience is far and away a better reading experience. Anyone who says otherwise is trash. "hurr durr I can take 20,000 clay tablets with me though..." You're fucking retarded. No one needs to carry more than 3-5. You'll never journey anywhere longer than 3-5 clay tablets. Even then, in our modern world just go to the nearest store and get more. Books are for fucking faggots. Plain and simple.

Why is this thread always up? If you want to carry 500+ books in one (and save $$ w/ pirating) and be able to read in a dark room or bathtub they're great. If not, then it doesn't seem you'd enjoy it.

Echoing Kobo. PDF is fine. The conversion process fucks up PDF to ePub on textbooks too, with all the funky spacing, but a geniune ePub is god teir.

The only reasons I use my cheap paperwhite is because its easy to carry around and it has that little feature where you can highlight words to see their definition or even get reminders of who certain characters are.

I learn new words and it's easy to pirate books so its worth it to me.

Poorfag here, any links for a good free ebook (android phone) library?

Anyone has this one?

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirtieth Annual Collection

Read the sticker mongoloid

This unironically

I use mine for public domain books. You can get em free all over the place. I'm not a real piracy guy and I don't pay for anything digital tho.

>lying on your bed with your phone held above your head
The mental image of that just pisses me off.

Go to the mobileread forums if you want to jailbreak.

My eyes and head start hurting after too much phone-reading.
I, too, love the battery life of an e-reader. I love the fact that I only have to charge once every two weeks, with hours of reading every day. It's especially awesome when camping or travelling, when your access to charging may be sporadic or non-existent.
I don't find it uncomfy, as you say. My e-reader is the size of a paperback book. And in fact, yes, I do often read while eating.
But to each his own! As long as you're reading, I couldn't care less what you're holding.

I use my phone w fbreader to read non-pdf, and my tablet to read comics and pdf.
Ereaders are far overpriced for their relative benefits considering their deep limitations.

Learn to use regular expressions in calibre's replace function and you can clean up every headline with a single click.

I just send books to my kindle through calibre
why are you nook lovers so cucked

Very convenient when you have books that are super heavy. Buy physical pirate digital.

I have an e-reader (kobo back lit, custom firmware) for epub. Thing is, I'm Veeky Forums /g/ and read technical papers that are pretty much superior in PDF. So I picked up a 11 inch tablet for PDFs and it's seriously fucking awesome.

There is NO EXCUSE to be a brainlet anymore.

If you have adult hands you know you can hold it in one hand and turn the page by swiping a bit withn your thumb. fag

Why do you care about the "experience" more than just reading? If you want to read and only read, e-readers are much much better (and cheaper, if you don't care about piracy). The "experience" crap is for posturing faggots who only want to be seen smarts because you have a fuck ton of books.

what, can't play your angry birds on an e-reader?

Man you're so off the point that it's silly.

Ebooks are books are just a medium. What matters are the words in them. It's completely irrelevant what you buy from moral perspective ether. On one side you have poorly digitised works, no resell options, and on the other poor paper quality, small print, and tinny resell value. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

at least you can read paper books in prison

Most of my favourite books are 1000+ pages and several pounds heavy. I dont even read Genji from my physical copies anymore. Which is sad because I kept neat annotations, highlights and marked all my favourite poems as well as noting differences in the many translations.

Nice trips, but probably depends on the prison. You can make shanks from books (especially hardcovers), so I'm sure they're controlled in many institutions.
Now I'm remembering that scene in the Wire where they strap phonebooks around Omar's middle so he can survive in prison. That was a bad-ass sequence.

>You can make shanks from books (especially hardcovers), so I'm sure they're controlled in many institutions.
wow that sucks. way to make it harder for the guys who just want to make the best of their solitude and better themselves

is genji good
whats it about
what translation do you recommend

I'm just saying that I was in your position. I read on my phone and I read on my ipad. And for me the battery life is the biggest difference, screen isn't as better as some people claim, processing power is better on lcd screens, but batter life is the big one. For one I was always attached to a cord, and always aware of that ticking feeling of your battery emptying on you when I was reading away from home. Einker, no problems whatsoever. Battery lasts for ages. If I'm in a heavy reading mood of five six hours a day, I charge it every five days, and I'm never emptying it ether. In a dissinterested mood of several pages a day, battery lasts for months without charging. I just throw it to a corner to gather dust, and it will turn on when needed. And then there are power requirements. I went camping for few weeks, read each day and I could charge it easily with low powered portable dinamo.

Onyx Boox, an Android based e-ink ereader. You are welcome.

Genji Monogatari is by far the most sentimental book I have ever read. It's a powerful book and a wonderfully written book. I recommend the Tyler Royall translation if reading for academic reasons because it's heavyly footnoted and the closest to a literal word for word translation, the Washburn translation for casual reading because it's translated with readablity as it's main goal, and the Kencho Suematsu translation for the poems and dialogue, it's accurate while keeping a lot of the poetic nature of Murasaki's writing, a very aesthetic and sentimental translation.

To really appreciate the work you need to read all 3. No translation is perfect and each has it's strength.

As for what's it about there is no way to do it justice in a sentence. However, if you are looking to escape the constant bombardment of literature being used as a political cudgel and want something aesthetic and beautiful Genji is for you.

Cuxked by one corporate Godzilla or cucked by another. Take your pick.
t. Kindle owner.

that Kencho one sounds appealing but it looks like its an abridgment and a short one at that. Is Genji your favorite book?

Yes, sadly Genji is huge you will come across many unfinished translations, someone of which might have been landmark translations if not for the fact that they are abridged or unfinished. I mourn that Kenchou never finshed because he was something of a poet so had a way with the words and dialogue he made sure that every line of dialogue landed with a punch because there are soo few spoken lines. When I read washburn and Royall I whince when I encounter a clumsy translation when Kenchou translated it masterfully.

Is Genji my favourite book? Yes, I think it's a work of art that inspires emotions. It's one of the few written works that has moved me to tears.

I've never really given it any attention, but Asian lit is my favorite, so I'll probably add this to my backlog. I'm leaning towards the Edward Seidensticker translation unless you have reasons for why I should opt for one of the others you mentioned

I love that last paragraph.

The Tyler Royall translation is just better in every way.

E-readers are superb if you want to read books in non-mother language.
That's the main reason why I got one.

That isn't the point, you fool. Read Stallman.

cybook muse light
but no NA store, its in Europe only

>read guy who eats dead flesh off his bare feet in public talks

I have a kindle PW. As everyone said, its 6'' screen is far from optimal for reading PDFs. But jailbreaking and installing koreader fixed some of the issues for me, as I can have pages displayed according to content width (automatically or manually). In practice, it takes two taps to read a page, and the third turns to tge next.

Text can still be small, but I got used to it. It will not work with everything, though a lot is improved.

There is only one reading app and its name is MoonReaderPro.
It does everything.