Would you still read as much as you do, if you had a satisfactory social life?

Would you still read as much as you do, if you had a satisfactory social life?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is that a rhetorical question?

>implying anyone on here reads anything other than wikipedia summaries

Reading Wikipedia is unironically a great way to educate yourself

I'm reading It. :(

My only social life is my girlfriend and I still barely read

bitch pls. i have no social life and i spend all day browsing here and youtube. if i had friends i would read things with them.

Oh but my girlfriend and I read together though. Guess my life #blessed

>Implying anyone actually reads
I have friends but I might as well not have bothered; they don't read and are intellectually stunted. Friends are overrated honestly

>implying i want a social life
if you cant live a solitary lifestyle without feeling sad about normie shit, then you're a pleb

Frankly, no.

What's it like living with such an overwhelming delusion?

it's truly not, and here's why:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view

Well that's the eternal problem, user. Women are a distraction to learning.

But user, I gave up on social life because I prefer to read (and mostly write). It's way easier to enjoy yourself alone than having to consider the needs and desires of multiple people.

I can honestly say no. In high school I was at a party nearly every weekend, and continued into college that way. Eventually lost interest and became introspective which led into reading. If I had somehow maintained that it would likely have continued.

If you are calling anyone's subjective experience an 'overwhelming delusion' you are obviously lacking a modicum of intelligence or any awareness of the world you actually live in

How is that a negative?

I just want to get laid every now and then, I don't see how that would conflict with reading. I wish hetaira were still around, then I could have the best of both worlds.

>shut up I don't like friends!
>m-my mom likes me reeeee

I have a satisfactory life, and I try to read every day. One of my friends and I always talk about the books we read

I totally relate to you.

My social life is A1 and I read erryday. Slowly carving through the complete works of plato as well as some jung, then ill move on to dostoevsky.

probably not as much tbqhwyf

NOT. AN. ARGUMENT.

Go back to /v/ kid

So this is what /r9k/ looks like. You're letting your jealousy show through your posts

Lol y'all niggas need sum lovin

>implying my mom likes me

Writing would have to not exist in order for my social life to be satisfactory.

is she a hottie though? That is the question.

You are the definition of cancer.

FUCK OFF

ELL OH ELL *cry laugh emoji*

Nah man. I've never met a "hottie" who I had the slightest thing in common with. She takes care of me and I love talking to her, which is better than I ever expected. Plus she has a higher sex drive than I do.

My social life provokes reading, as my friends are intellectuals - including the women (if they aren't, then they are women who are attracted to intellectuals, which still provokes further study).

Real shame I can't stand plain women, guess I was never meant to have a girlfriend.

of course not my desire to read dropped off once I moved out of my parents place got a girlfirend and started hanging out with my mates.

Now I only read to educate myself rather than as an act of escapism or desire to experiance the humanity I was lacking before

I read more when my social life is good.

To elaborate, I used to find it easy go to work and read when I came home. I could quite easily sit with my girlfriend, just reading stuff while she was doing other shit that I had no interest in. The feeling of contentment helped reading immensely.

My life is now really fucking boring and I feel a pressing anxiety to always be doing stuff so find reading extremely difficult.

Wow, this is how I feel as well, never realized it

In hindsight, the more content I was with my personal life, the more I read

whatever happened to that user that was getting whores to read high level Veeky Forums?

It isn't always as bad as he's implying it is, but if you don't see what's wrong with a "neutral point of view" then that's your loss. It effectively claiming that the particular points of view espoused (which can't be helped given that they are choosing to present and omit particular things which are a result of a particular collection of values) possess an objectivity that is impossible in reality, and will try to justify this illusion by avoiding content that they would consider emotional. You'd understand if you'd read things that are explicitly open and upfront about their biases and why engaging in such things allows for a fundamental richness and diversity of knowledge that is otherwise lost in 'neutrality'.

satisfactory social life, in terms of quality that is, has a good effects on my reading and working schedule

like if i had a girlfriend and friends and stuff? almost definitely not... when i did, i didn't read

Give examples of your little theory

this. it might be the case that isolation and struggle in the formative years of my life have promoted my interest in literature and the humanities, but when i'm not socializing with anyone i typically recess into terrible habits like video games, drug abuse, self-loathing, and i generally struggle to maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes hours of everyday study. it's very difficult to want to be alive without those connections.
make some friends who aren't idiots. leave your basement. read in a library. find some balance.

I'd read more, as I wouldn't waste my life on imageboards, arguing with weebs.

But I am satisfied with my social life. I only really want to meet up with people once every few days.

Have a ton of friends, a girlfriend and a healthy relationship with my family and I am reading like never. Guess its just spirit, wanting it.

Probably not. I've read more since I fell out with most of the people who were my friends. I often wish I had more than just a couple people to talk to, but I do like being alone as well.

But I have a really solid social life. I'm a degenerate that smokes and drinks, then I go and read Veeky Forums memes.

It's not fufilling.

what is not fulfilling? the former, or the latter?

You should read in order to have a satisfactory life, social and otherwise.

I read a LOT less when I was in a serious relationship. Feels like that's fairly common, especially for people who live together, unless reading is a shared passion.

>everyone is a social leech!
talk about delusion

agreed
during my 'loner' phases I tend to spend hours on end aimlessly browsing the internet rather than burrowing myself in literature
I like being alone but I'm coming to realize I really need to make some friends