Cheap meals

I noticed there is mass agreement that the "fast is the only affordable food" myth is just that. Therefore, I'm genuinely curious. You got 7 dollars and 50 cents. Make a meal with ingredients that cost under this amount with a picture of the receipt. I thought of this in the morning so I'll post mine later tonight. Also, if you need to use basic ingredients, let's make it a little easier and say that you already have salt, pepper, oil, and onions. Post ideas as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m3CkOunk8fY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For dollar to calorie value fast food is absolutely cheaper

Here in australia I can get a maccas hamburger for a dollar, which equals 250 calories. Apart from drinking home brand olive oil I don't see any way to obtain this amount of energy for less money from a supermarket.

I agree but calorie intake doesn't necessarily equate to nutritional value. This is more of a challenge of how creative people can get with this, not necessarily to prove anything about one side of the debate. I just used the general consensus to get the ball rolling.

Not it isn't, one pound of rice is .50 cents on my local supermarket and it has 590 calories. You just need to look for the cheaper option and buying in bulk.

It's cheaper in a period of a month or so. You buy food in bulk and the price of a serving in a mea comes down exponentially.

Fast food is cheap and calorie dense though. Definitely

Buy bulk items as previously stated. Buy a large container of multivitamins. Used saved money to buy drugs because you're a filthy degenerate who already eats at mcdonalds.

The problem with this meme is because McDonald's food tastes good and since we have warped out basic animal need for energy into this hedonistic pleasure center blow-out desire, people assume you can't get AS GOOD OF TASTING food as this, which is what they feel they deserve because it gives them some elation in their otherwise worthless joyless lives.

In reality you are not entitled to a "good" meal as far as taste goes. You need the energy. You don't need the sexual experience that's served to you in all the FF commercials.

If you want to play the calorie game, flour is about 3,500kcal per kilo and should cost you about a dollar or so.

Make some flatbread (just add some water) and fry them in a pan, the oil is calorie dense per dollar as well, and there you have an extremely cheap alternative to rice or whatever.

That's unless you want to spend just another dollar or so for the ingredients required to make an actual bread.

The bread can be eaten as a side with a generously spiced lentil and vegetable curry, and I'd serve with some creme fraiche to counterbalance the spiciness even though that's about a dollar extra.

Too right, comrade. Flavor is nothing but a soulless capitalist distraction from the pure fulfillment of providing labor to the state.

1kg of flour 1$
12 eggs 2$

------> 15-30 servings of pasta
that would be 0,1$-0,2$ per serving, basically you could add aged pecorino,truffle and a good oliveoil to each and still be way below 7.50$ per serving.
another super simple thing would be stews,soups and congees:
1 chicken 3$,some garlic,ginger,springonion 3$, 2 cups of rice 0,50$ --->chickencongee for 10 servings

People arguing fastfood is good value are semi-retarded, i mean anybody should be capable of some basic fucking maths

I laughed out loud, internet friend. Tasteless energy gruel for all to leave pleasure space in one's mind open to worship the state! Except me of course fuck that I gotta stay sharp to keep these dirt people in line.

Take two cans of soup you like (I used Progresso chicken and dumplings that were on sale 3 for 5), brown uncased Italian sausage (3-4 bucks a pound, only used half a pound) and add in 12 ounces of pasta (a buck). Dinner for two for five bucks.

Err, six.

1/2 lb Italian sausage - $2.50
1/2 lb lentils - $1
1 jar tomato sauce - $2

1/2 lb rice - $0.50

1 bag frozen vegetables - $1.50

There OP. A nutritious meal that would fill up 3 hungry people. Easy and quick to make as well.

Vegetable enriched pasta $1.39 (1lb)
Sweet Basil and oregano pasta sauce $1.49 jar
Pint portabellos mushrooms $1.29
Pack chicken thighs $3.29

Lunch and dinner for three days

people arguing the opposite have literally no perspective

nobody who has a job (especially not poor people) has time to sit at home for hours making their own pasta

the mcdouble has the highest nutritional bang for your buck possible

Please tell me, how many "bangs" (I assume you mean kcal) do you get for one US buck?

easy as fuck, chicken thighs and some veggies

Rice, Beans, whatever seasonings you care for.
Near complete balanced nutrition, 10 minutes max of active cooking time, pennies per serving.

I live in virginia, a case of 60 eggs was 2.02 dollars.

If you want to superjew, the opportunities are there to live extremely cheaply. On the clearance shelf, there are boxes of weird flavored poptarts for 1 dollar, 420 calories per packet, 5 packets per box makes 2100 calories for 1 cents is pretty good.

This is all walmart btw, there are no excuses that food is too expensive if you eat conservative calories and shop smart. It's slightly harder if you are fit, but it's definitely do'able.

>10 minutes max of active cooking time
>beans

And 2 hours of babysitting the stove.

>needing to babysit beans

?

>I leave the house with the stove on
You're why homeowners insurance is expensive. I hope you don't live in an apartment.

t. stares at simmering pots for hours because he cannot comprehend setting an alarm

>babysits kids
>thinks he has to sit and stare at them the hole time.

Brainlet, don't have kids.

*whole
I hate phoneposting.

>what is a pressure cooker?

I could buy an 18 carton of eggs for 2.30 and a pound of rice and chickpeas for a buck each at my local 99 cents store

Something only redneck cousin fuckers from the Appalachians use?
Pressure cooker users are the same type that like turducken and deep fried turkeys

Homo sapiens stew cost $4.23 if you make it yourself

sounds gay

pleblord detected

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you people?
I can't tell if this is a shitpost or just convict-tier education.

Convict-tire education

Oh look, it's the suburban extreme couponer/paranoid end of the world hoarder.

I found a picture of one in case anyone doesn't know.

What exactly goes wrong in these scenarios?

It depends if your a bachelor or not.

Where I live, a McDonalds combo is about $6.50. That's one meal.

For about $11 I can get a loaf of bread, lettuce, a tomato, processed cheese, and some sliced ham. This can make me about four ham sandwiches which are much healthier.

So it seems like it's cheaper to make my own sandwiches than to buy fast food. But the bread goes stale after a week, the lettuce wilts after a few days, and the tomato rots somewhere in between. Because of this, I have to make and eat my four sandwiches once a day, every day.

I save about $4 doing this, but I'm suck eating ham sandwiches for lunch four days a week, or else I'm throwing out food and not saving any money at all.

So if you're the kind of person who likes leftovers, likes to freeze food and keep it for weeks or months, or if you happen to have a family and you're making food for more than one person, then making your own meals is cheaper. If you live alone and want to eat fresh, maybe not. At least, that's what I discovered when I did the math for my own meals.

pressure.
youtube.com/watch?v=m3CkOunk8fY

You can have books in jail homie

>loaf of bread, lettuce, a tomato, processed cheese, and some sliced ham. This can make me about four ham sandwiches which are much healthier.
how so? What is your reasoning to think salty ham and processed cheese is healthy?

mostly dumb fuckery combined with outdated and/or worn out equipment

modern pressure cookers have several safety features like blowout valves, vents and locks that should insure that even the dirtiest of dumbfucks shouldn't experience explosions

being afraid of them is like being afraid of the radiator in your car exploding. it basically will not happen unless you go out of your way to fuck with it

I basically live off high fibre cereal, eggs, ramen noodles and bring torilla wraps with sliced chicken to work. Anything else is just a treat.

5lb Potatoes - $2.10
2 Dozen eggs - $1.60
4 Bell peppers - $2.00
Large onion - $0.40
Shredded cheese - $1.80
You can now eat a breakfast skillet every single day of the week.

>4 Bell peppers - $2.00
Bell peppers are 50c a piece.
Flyoverland is magical!

What shithole do you live in where they're over a dollar?

Skip the bell peppers and you'll still have a good breakfast, substitute for whatever regional produce is in season where you live if you have to.

I just checked 4 random locationsin flyoverlandville on kroger.com and they were all a dollar.