What does Veeky Forums think of Roger Scruton?

What does Veeky Forums think of Roger Scruton?

On an unrelated note, what does Veeky Forums think of the smooth taste of JapanTobaccoâ„¢?

Other urls found in this thread:

global.oup.com/academic/product/beauty-a-very-short-introduction-9780199229758
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's a pseud conservative for the tired anti-intellectual anglo mind.

my morals hurt

He's a genuine and honest conservative intellectual in a society filled with fecetious unintelligent weirdos trolling the Internet writing senseless garbage

He's aaaawful.

Childish thinker with the demeanor of dementia and Parkinson's ridden Hitchens (you know which one).

Stay mad leftypol, stay mad.

more like scrotum haha

pretty pathetic. I mean, to live 73 years and never say something true--that's gotta weigh on a person pretty heavy.

its SIR Roger Scruton.

The casual way he conflates "firebrand" with "fool" and "fraud", as if a fierce or inflammatory style of politics is inherently bad, is telling of the intellectual paucity of the rest of his content.

A firebrand rages against authority - Scruton obviously believes this is a bad thing in an ordered, civilised society. I doubt he thinks it's a bad thing in a chaotic, corrupt society. He would probably consider himself a firebrand in the circumstance. In the past he was a firebrand against the Soviet Union.

So it is not being used as something inherently bad.

i read his music book whilst doing my music degree and it was pretty good. he's a genuinely knowledgeable guy who's listened to and understood a huge amount of music and understands how it works on a variety of levels from the pure sound of it to the intricate architecture of it and he has things of worth to say, even if he gets so blinkered in the one way of appreciating and understanding music that he can't get properly to grips with other aesthetics of sound and his section on 'culture' where he tries to apply schenkerian analysis to REM songs is weird and misses the point entirely

i assume his political stuff is similar

damn, how can roger scruton even recover after this thread?!

Money grubbing corrupt poser, which you already hinted it.

I remember seeing an interview with him where he lit a cigar for the occasion to be extra old timey reactionary but you could see he doesn't smoke and it ended in a coughing fit.

Embarrassing.

This! Also Scruton defends "sensible" music without serious percussion section (le "classical" music maymay) and considered gay faggot homos to be unable to have proper sex, even love each other (le misandrist maymay).

Part of his stuff is meant for the mass, the other part has actual philosophical merit.

He's good

>So it is not being used as something inherently bad.
no, it's just bad when it goes against his political preferences (order = parties/politicians he likes, chaos = everyone else)
let's not kid ourselves here

>I remember seeing an interview with him where he lit a cigar for the occasion to be extra old timey reactionary but you could see he doesn't smoke and it ended in a coughing fit.
Fuckin kek.

>Part of his stuff is meant for the mass, the other part has actual philosophical merit
Which books have "actual merit" I would like to start reading those

Assuming you are asking about his philosophic works:
Sexual Desire; I believe he, Scruton, considers it his M'opus. If you're going to read Sir R.S you'll have go through it.

The Aesthetics of Architecture; Another of his main works, Scruton is a Ruskinite if you have any interest in this. R.S is an aesthetic philosopher so this is the middlework in which his insight on the world is born from.

Note; If, like other writers, you want to get used to used to R.S terms and such read Ruskin and Burke for those are his thoughtfathers. Unless you wish for an guide to his works then Philosophy: Principles and Problems is a start.

Veeky Forums is alittle antiAnglo (on the base of analytic philosophy) so if you're memed it's not much use as Scruton is wholly an Analytic Philosopher.

Anyway here's a short list of otherworks of his:
>I Drink Therefore I am; abit of fun really, the philosophy of drinking.
>Art and Imagination; more Aesthetics (read before Aesthetics of Architecture maybe).
>The Soul of the World; a summary on his religious thought.
>The Meaning of Conservatism; politics

Thanks I'll look those up and see what catches my fancy, appreciate the recommendations.

His documentary about beauty and art was awful.

>His documentary about beauty
Was it based on his book Beauty: A Very Short Introduction?

global.oup.com/academic/product/beauty-a-very-short-introduction-9780199229758

fixed

>fixed

as if

All you English undergrads are retards. Sir Roger Scruton is based, performed some charitable and heroic acts in the Soviet Union and is a genuine academic who isn't a brainlet, and has all the right ideas.

best post

Disconsider this, his writings on art are laughably bad, he's extremely nitpicky, extremely anachronistic and sometimes bordering on paranoid in his attempts to conflate extremely different art schools, both the ones he likes and the ones he dislikes.

If there was ever a man to oppose Bertrand Russell in the "mad englishman raves on about things he doesn't understand", this man is Roger Scruton.

>t. Hasn't read Scruton

>ALL you English undergrads

I'll have you know I cited Scruton heavily in my dissertation and even managed to get a first :))