I need some literature that's like Evangelion

I need some literature that's like Evangelion

kys weeb

There is literally none

its entirely unique

Read Apocalypse while listening to Bach and Handel.

Watashi no nikki Tbh

If you have father issues you should read Book of the Short Sun. Have to read the Books of the New and Long Suns first which will take you a while though.

The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick
or His VALIS trilogy

You should check out everything from my last bread too, I loved them so maybe you might love them too:
Phillip K Dick's wild rides (all very easy to read and with great plot/ideas) - especially:
>Ubik
Explores life, death and everything in between. It's wonderfully creepy and mindscrewy.
>The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
This book is fucking amazing especially Palmer Eldritch who is definitely going down as one of the most amazing villains of all time.

Lem (very easy to read)
>Solaris
Creepy fucked up shit happens when a researcher descends down to Solaris station. If you love Xenobiology shit you'll love this one. hallucinations. Also suicidal inclinations of the protagonists and the unknowable/unknowing is important as well as philosophical considerations such as an exploration of what is God/celestial beings and whether their intentions can be considered in human terms.

Watts (hard scifi, harder to read)
>Blindsight + Echopraxia
Blindsight almost literally has a Gendo-esque vampire, a similar protagonist as well as being thematically similar in terms of isolation/fear/loneliness/empty spaces and Rorschach exhibits startling similarity to the Angels. The Earth is also in a similar state - dystopian and hostile.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (hard scifi, harder to read)
The highlight of this book is the priest's tale. It's really wonderfully written and creepy.

Strugatsky's especially the Time Wanderer (translated but easy to read)
Unfortunately the translations are shite, but the concept of the ascended human and the unknowable are present here.

don't read sci-fi bro

Have you found another author with great ideas who isn't PKD?

Carl Jung and (Though I can't {yet} command on Time Wanderer).

I just double checked on Time Wanderer and it's not the one with a shit translation (that's Beetle in the Anthill so you can cross shit translation off the list, unfortunately Beetle is an absolutely amazing book despite the shit translation which makes it even more annoying).

Time Wanderer is the one with a fragmented narration but good translation. Some of it is interviews/transcripts (think that creepy mindfuck bit where Gendo and Yui conduct the contact experiment and she dissolves into LCL as well as the other not quite right aspects of Evangelion) and other bits are the characters doing investigations.

There's also a bit at the end of Foundation and Earth with Fallom which is incredibly Evangelion like but it's safe to say that this does not represent the rest of the series.

Another person mentioned Clarke's Childhood End last thread but I was pretty lukewarm on that one although the 9 billion names of god is also a great short.

Forgot to say that Time Wanderers is part of a longer series of standalones about a technologically advanced interstellar Eart that sends out agents called Progressors to meddle with and accelerate development on other planets.

Time Wanderers depends on the other books basically the ones with Maxim in it. Maxim's first adventure is in the Prisoners of Power, a badly translated 1984 Orwell type romp which introduces a few critical characters and has a massive plot tweest. Things get more creepy in the badly Beetle in the Anthill when Maxim is called in to investigate someone who might not be human with another huge plot tweest. Also a lot of the characters leave after Beetle, leading into the well translated Time Wanderers when things are culminating in an Evangelion like setting (although there is no action, so it is something of a Cold War where they do not know who they are supposed to search out). Again with a huge twist and a GOAT ending.

Thanks for the suggestions brehs

Will post my comment from the last EVA thread when I get back if this thread is still up.

not poster, but try J. G. Ballard's short fiction

my diary desu

>that's my line

Thanks

While it's hard to recommend literature "like" it, why not get into early psychology? Freud, Jung, Schopenhauer, and Kierkegaard?

Most of the religious stuff is there for aesthetic reasons, and most of the other influences are other manga/anime which isn't Veeky Forums

Philosophy and early Psychology I mean. Schopenhauer and Kierkegaard are obviously Philosophers. That's what the guy that actually made the series did.

>doesn't understand the meme

Brain dead retards like myself prefer fiction because it feels less didactic and the author tells the message circuitously leading me to come to my own conclusions.

Post?

NGE actually borrowed the concept of human instrumentality from a Scifi writer who was also a weeb political scientist.
>In the science fiction of Cordwainer Smith, the Instrumentality of Mankind refers both to Smith's personal future history and universe and to the central government of humanity. The Instrumentality of Mankind is also the title of a paperback collection of short stories by Cordwainer Smith published in 1979 (now superseded by the later The Rediscovery of Man, which collects all of Smith's short stories).
>The Human Instrumentality Project in the Neon Genesis Evangelion anime series is a reference to Cordwainer's works.
>A password used in the anime Serial Experiments Lain, "Think Bule Count One Tow" (used by Lain's father) is a misspelled reference to Think Blue, Count Two.
>The Dreadstar comic book features the Church of the Instrumentality which is a space empire. The church has created a race of cat-people, similar to the underpeople of the Instrumentality of Mankind.
>In the light novel series Log Horizon, the animal-like Werecat, Wolf Fang, and Fox Tail races were created by what was called the Norstrilia Project, in reference to his novel.
There you go.

>Bach and Handel
anything specific?

Just play on repeat the most overused, over-hyped and mainstream work of each.

I think Where's Waldo would be a perfectly suited book for a simpleton like yourself.

>its entirely unique
As much as I love Eva, this is just not true.

Cordwainer Smith

It can't be true. Every author has to get their inspiration from somewhere, no one can generate ideas all on their own.

lmaoing at ur life

Quick guide to "I need some literature like anime_name", most frequent requests and using exclusively memes:
>Neon Genesis Evangelion
PKD, three Stigmata of Elditch Palmer
Add Master and Margarita for both the problematics of human connection and religious themes
Fathers and Sons can also be helpful for obvious reasons
>Lain
Snow Crash + Bleeding Edge, switch to early existentialists when shit gets too whimsical
>Welcome to NHK
Notes from the Underground
>Mushishi and other calmcore
Sebald, "Rings of Saturn"
>Tatami Galaxy
Unironically IJ

Generally, if you series features calm melancholy, use Pessoa, Sebald, optionally some poetry by Brodsky. If it has loners and/or freaks with issues of empathy and/or purpose, most Dosto would do. You have an enigmatic, tortured hero who has trouble distinguishing between the real and the fake? The Recognitions fits the bill. The atmosphere of the show is foreboding, apocalyptic, the world does not allow the fulfillment og character's goals? Moscow to the End of the Line, or Under the Volcano. Is it about character growth, from idealistic adolescent to something bigger? Magic Mountain. The growth doesn't happen because of irreparable flaws and the buldingsroman is played for laughs? Sot-weed Factor. Is your title schizophrenic, with all things being connected, vague hints at something bigger, and no answers being definite? GR, a lot of PKD, "Europe Central" if it's less personal and more historic. Grim cruelty of mundane life? 2666, White Noise. Fairytale feeling with a giant mish-mash of myths and beliefes? Satanic Verses.

That covers most themes present in good anime.

I need some literature like Boku Wa Mari No Naka, stat!

>Notes from the Underground
What version should I get? Norton Critical?

I'm russian, can't help you with that. Dostoyevsky's prose is not that poetic, the esthetic structure is mostly plaintext, so I don't think translation matters that much.
Jesus Christ, I've read the synopsis and this sounds horrible. I used to believe that if multiple civilizations invent the same genre/plot setup it must mean it's transcendentally meaningful and good, but melodrama bodyswaps and isekai are proving me wrong.

Bakuman!

The mystery behind manga-making revealed!

The Master and Margarita is really nothing at all like Evangelion. It's way too lighthearted, optimistic and not cruel enough and none of the characters really have any sort of existential crises.

And Darker than Black has the exact same setting as Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky's.

(cont)
Well I suppose it is kinda like the more lighthearted bits of Evangelion like Pen Pen could perhaps correspond with Behemoth.

I need a full Freudian character analysis of penpen.

It's not bodyswap. She's just crazy.

>tfw if I stick any famous author in google barely anyone ever fucking talks about their books, they won't even mention if the book is good or not
>tfw if I make one post on /a/ about eva I will get at least one wall of text from an /a/utist
I hate that books are so unloved and that a book that should spawn at least 10 threads of discussion won't necessarily even get one or two posts compared to an anime on /a/.

You could always read like, actual essays about stuff.

Why is everyone trying to insinuate PKD with this trash?

There isn't anything that is more depressing than looking from book discussion. As an example, I was looking for discussion about the Three Stigmata today and yesterday. Pic related is all I found after scouring two university libraries. 4 analyses off jstor (one only tangentially related), 4 books off proquest (which sounds like a lot, but one book only references it very simplistically, two of the books only devote one chapter to discussing it - and this chapter discusses multiple books, not just the one and the final book only dedicates like half a paragraph). Out of these 8 sources only three delve into the material in a way that is not a blindingly obvious summary and I only agree with the analyses of one out of the eight sources and appreciate the opinion of one of the sources. The other sources engage in a circlejerk that loops back upon itself.

And of reddit, reviews and the rest of the internet and warosu, there is scarcely any discussion.

Books are always so depressing. One may reasonably expect more discussion from the worst seasonal anime in existence than a book, even a classic one at that. Readers are far and few in between, the majority of discourse is locked behind a paywall and of the most accessible sources - all of them largely agree with each other and reference themselves.

Books are a dying medium

but lit doesnt actually like to read. hence the complaint of the guy you reapinded to, anDhence why he doeant want to upgrade to reading more substantial material.

Tis whole board is for halfwitted narcissists

PKD targets the exact same audience minus the filler.

And the one analysis I agreed with and was different from the others lacked the clarity of expression and depth of references that the other analyses possessed. I also feel that there isn't that much interplay. For example, I believe that the people who write these analyses do not consult the opinions of others or communicate with others which would strengthen or weaken their own opinions and that some of the conclusions that they make might be flawed, as opposed to a larger body of people anonymously and collectively discussing the subject matter. I always consider essays to be a static standalone representations of the opinions of a small sample size of entirely disconnected people.

Fourteen-year-olds?

Do you think you can get quality discussion of anime on /a/? It's just circlejerking.
The more you are interested in something the harder it is to find anyone to talk with about it especially on the internet. Having interests that are somewhat niche, which is bound to happen if you delve long enough in pretty much anything, makes it extre hard.

Individuals enjoying eligious iconography, an exploration of existentialism, loneliness, empathy and pathos. PKD's prose is not verbose and it is quite accessible in spite of the story itself being exponentially more complex. Evangelion's material is similar if the fanservice, filler bloat was trimmed and the protagonist was aged up. A person who enjoys one is likely to enjoy the other, in my opinion.

> tfw can't find Evangelion physically for a reasonable price in the UK
> just the shitty abridged remake version that came out a few years ago

When the fuck will this classic series get distributed again

If you search a show name on /a/ you are more likely to come up with some kind of discussion or comparison than if you were to search Veeky Forums for a book title. The latter produces lists upon lists of book titles, of books that an user was currently/had read or lists of books for recommendations. The pattern is similar across the internet.

Reading is an individual activity, but on the other hand reading other people's opinions enhances my appreciation for the text.

I suppose most of my annoyance at these essays stems from the fact that there is so little material described in them, so much of the text is wasted on summarising and the little text that is left is wasted on reiterating someone else's opinion. Whereas if the discussion produced more material, there would be plenty of waste but also plenty of opinion.

And I agree with your position regarding the discussion of niche topics.

Get the $20 burgerbuck bluray on amazon

All I can find is the same abridged remake trilogy thing that we have over here too.

Eva has nothing to do with religion and "explores" the rest of your list in only the most superficial of ways.
Also it has nothing do with PKD unless you compare them in the most superficial of ways which I guess you do.

>nothing to do
>nothing to do
A better way to phrase your discussion points would be to argue that it has little to do with PKD or religion rather than resorting to absolute statments. Also, providing a range of evidence to reinforce your points rather than employing broad and sweeping generalisations would make your argument more convincing.

Not him but Eva is more psychological whereas I find PKD more philosophical. Eva's psychological aspects are inspired by Freud and Lacan and PKD's stuff is more existentialist. Just a brief observation, haven't really read too much PKD if I'm being honest.

Eva does genuinely have nothing to do with religion. If you think it does you are the one who has to provide evidence.
I honestly had no intention of making anything other than broad generalizing statements but to explain myself better:
While Eva espouses a philosophy that is esentially existential it doesn't critically dissect it. Loneliness and empathy are portrayed, occasionally addressed but not critically dissected. So I can't really say that those are themes that are "explored" rather than being simply present.
PKD is, unlike Anno, an analytical and deep thinker who is primarily concerned with ontological questions.
I honestly fail to see how he bears any relation to Eva other than through being an empathetic person, which is frequently evident in his works, with low self-esteem, which is rarely evident in his works in sharp contrast with Eva, which insists on reminding you at every corner that its creator does indeed have low self-esteem.
In this and in many other ways it is evident that PKD relates to other people in a way completely different than the one in which Anno relates to other people. Thus to compare the works of the one to those of the other on the basis that they both deal with the way one relates to other people shows only a superficial understanding of this theme.

Honestly, I used Wittgenstein as my companion to the series.
The only thing that interested me is the "Who am I what am I" scene in the literary sense.

I can definitely see where you are coming from. However, I suppose it depends on how you envision a recommendation. Is a recommendation ideally 1:1 copy (in quality) to the original seed work or would a work that "explores" (PKD) the themes in such a way that they aren't just merely present (Evangelion) be better?

If PKD is less superficial and deeper than Eva I think that it makes PKD's value as a recommendation all the greater. This is why I would try to insinuate PKD with this trash, to put it in your words.

Okay I asked for LIKE Evangelion not literally Evangelion.

>judging Oshimi Shuuzo's manga just by synopsis

Hey, I'm not trying to make judgements of quality. Moreover even though I find Eva distasteful it's not like I hate it or even particularly dislike it that much.
Not every piece of artistic expression needs to be philosophical fiction (though the way Eva tries to be drives me up the wall) to have artistic merit.
I am not saying that PKD is an endless source of divine profundity either.
The point is that their approach to the subject matter that you find of interest is as different as to make it that into two completely separate things.
I just can't imagine by what sound logic PKD would be anyone's first association when asked about Eva.
Like, "existentialism and loneliness and empathy". That's 90% of artists.

What are the books that you most associate with evangelion?

Sartre?
Hesse? Yeah, that's a good one.
Probably many others that I've never read or can't care to remember.
Do you get the drift?

Read Freud and Lacan. The stuff about sexuality is Freudian and stuff about society and the being is Lacanian.

i can

I wonder what Zizek would think about Eva

oedipus rex, the bible, Schopenhauer, Nietzche

all these actually influenced Evangelion, Evangelion directly takes its structure and plot points off Oedipus Rex - you must read it to understand Evangelion

also notes from the underground

read Freud though, if anything is required for Evangelion it is him

Christianity influenced Evangelion's art, not its concepts.

Evangelion isn't borrowing from Christianity, its USING CHRISTIANITY AS A SYMBOL YOU FUCKING IDIOT

>triggered by autists who can't see past aesthetics

That's literally what I said

Came here to post this.

>I AGREE WITH YOU, YOU FUCKING IDIOT
unrelated poster here, don't you love the level of discussion offered by Veeky Forums?

what the fuck are you even talking about hahaha, notes from underground my ass

What particular writings and what specific aspects of their contentions in their works remind you of evangelion?

Well, they are not exactly writers I have a strong interest in. I read some of volumes of theirs when I was a teenager and consumed everything indiscriminately.
What they have in common with Eva is the feeling of anxiety + strongly subjective experience. Pretty much anything by Sartre feels like that, and Hesse's works that deal with anxiety also feel like that. A lot of existentialists deal with anxiety or are strongly individualistic or both so maybe there are a lot of others that fit the same criteria as Sartre and Hesse, but a fair share of the more famous names I don't cite because I find them to be able to at least a certain degree of detachment.
For me the most distinguishing feature of Eva is the permeating atmosphere of strictly subjective personal angst. I find it quite distasteful. I can't really bring myself to like authors that can't muster at least a measure of objectivity that much. That is why I protested to PKD's work being compared to Eva. He is very objective.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Not really, since you figure out that: the farther (gendo), the son (shinji) and the holy spirit (rei, the virgin mother).

It is about belief as well, and at the end of Evangelion you can see Shinji battling nihilism to see if there is any worth living in the world - he has long lost his faith in god.

>notes from underground
not directly, just what it feels like to be Shinji

It's a similar kind of brooding introspection but Shinji could never dream of being this much of an edgelord. He just lacks the ironic self-awareness to be that.

Shinji is just a hurt boy.

What is the Oyasumi Punpun of literature?

> just the shitty abridged remake version that came out a few years ago
it's not an abridged remake
it's a completely different story you sound as retarded as if you were to say "the manga is a shitty remake version"

To be fair, if one only watches the first movie, one could assume it's just an abridged remake.

>d.jpg (3 KB, 125x100)
fuckin thumbnails

Monogatari please

EVA is basically Pablo by Juan Jose Arreola except the Mexican Shinji rejects instrumentality and there are no waifus.

Infinite Jest

I think so but ive already read it so i need more reccomendations

Already read ;_;

Japanese fairy tales, romantic (as in romanticism) novels and poets. Carmilla

It's still not the original series everyone is crazy for though now is it, you spacker

and ?
it's a different show if you don't like it then don't watch it, noone forces you to do it.