/deenz/ Canned Fish General

Jarred fish welcome. Gonna go to the Chinese grocery and buy a bunch of weird shit I don't know what it is. Eels and shit. What's the worst that could happen?

What am I in for?

Wrong pic OP

amazing grace in food format

Tfw sardines keep going up in price.

I was in the last thread and my intrigue led me to Walmart. Their selection was all right. I picked up a can of deenz in olive oil and what they called kipper snacks, both King Oscar brand. Cracked open the deenz and am eating them now. I haven't had sardines in probably twenty years or longer. These are pretty interesting. Had a few straight then followed a suggestion from earlier and mashed up the remainder with some hot sauce to spread on crackers. Do you guys like kippers? The ones I got are packed in water.

I fucked around earlier and smashed some deenz together with some kips in a bowl with some Hellman's, shit was tight

Anyone tried the Bar Harbor brand packed in maple syrup?

Sounds foul

Pretty surprised it had a full pepper in the can. I figured it be all chopped up

Oscar doesnt fuck around

The only reason you make these threads is seemingly just to say that stupid word. You're no different from that "whaboom" faggot trying to force your idea of le epic meme even though it's nothing but a sound. Reject.

no

I'm thinking of diversifying into tinned mackrel to mix things up a bit. maybe some kippers

I'm already subverting the deenz movement for kippers. They're better, and you can only serve one master.

Fuck sardines. Hall kippers.

I ironically make sure one of these are up every day because sardines really need to be the standard, not nasty overcooked catfood or what americans call """tuna"""". It's cheaper, more filling, tastes better and has more nutrition. There are dozens of us making these threads you faggot, get with the times. Sardines will become a staple of the American diet with the help of these threads. King Oscar will be less than $2 by next year.

Does anyone here make Bagna Cauda? Any recipes?

my fellow deenerz

Can you put sardines in ramen?

I've made them too. Never once said "deenz" in the OP though.

boil in the bag kippers with bread and butter is my waifu

deenz is the meme, not sardines themselves. That's the difference between deenz and sip threads. We have a good product, the memes just help people be exposed to it. What other threads have consistent max replies?

I'm gonna buy some deenz when I go to the supermarket this weekend?

Any suggestions? Last time i had it the taste was just a little too briny for me when plain. Any flavor suggestions or transformations I can make?

If regurgitating stupid non-words is what it takes to get "people" interested in real foods then it's time to blow up the whole planet. Just saying.

>avocado

Started a wiki for fellow deenzbros. Just redirects to wikia for memorability. Feel free to add to it, inb4 sabotage/gore. We can start a real revolution here boys.

deenz.party

Tryin' to spread the word at work. Workin the brotein angle for the gealthy people and the sustainability angle for the conservationists.

Even bringing cans to pass out.

Not so, sir. I thoroughly enjoy kipper fillets with lemon and cracked pepper, but sardines in olive oil are also great.

Ive always loved sardines in anything. Kippers I cant get on. They were salty and gross whichever i tried but im pretty sure it was king oscar.

I'm not a big kippers fan myself, but pickled herring is absolutely amazing. I'm not sure about the availability outside Scandinavia, but as far as I know you can get it at IKEA.

Okay Rick, if that's how you feel

I asked in another /DEENZ/ thread but would I like em if I don't like fish in general?

Those cans of Pampa mackerel are fucking rad and I eat one like twice a week if not more, so much fish for a buck and chock full of fatty, salty, satisfying meat. Throw one into some egg salad? Got me fucked up on flavor alone.

Does anyone else enjoy deenz because of how collectible they are? Is that actually part of the appeal for enthusiasts?

Are those the ones that little stars of butter inside?

Your tea looks weak as fuck bye

Comfy grandpa meal right there.

I feel you. once I tried the the kipper snacks in hot sauce i was hooked. Have to go restock.

I'm from the place King Oscar is from and people here actually used to collect the labels back in the day. My parents and grandparents have a bunch of them in the attic. Truly the patricians collection item.

Posted this ilate in tge last thread. Picked up some soy sauce packed and soybean paste packed deenz from my local japanese grocery store. Gonna crack one open for lunch

what kinds are these? I can't read them

I need to give tinned eel another try. My word of advice would be to check the ingredients list for added sugar. The last tin I got were fermented black bean flavor but there was a sickly sweetness to them that made them barely edible to me. Texture was on point though.

Doesn’t that stink up the whole place?

What does /deenz/ think of starting off with boneless sardines for a n00b?

Well, they're fish. They don't taste as strongly of fish as many other fish do, and they pair well with hot sauce/mustard/capers/onions which are strong flavours themselves. Buy a tin of skinless/boneless sardine fillets and spread them on some crispbread with something from above. If you don't like them you'll be out a couple bucks.

>skinless/boneless sardine fillets
*in olive oil

Nothing wrong with boneless/skinless fillets, get them in olive oil.

spicy tomato sauce with chilli?

Fishermans eggs in a small skillet
chippychopped onion all dieced
deen smushedd up over top the onions in a skillet
5 mins cook, add pepper+garlic(or powrder)
pour eggs, put plate over top of em.
5 more mins they done
toast
vodka

tears because you are alone and have been for a long time.

Yes its great. But the smell just gives you more opportunity to educate people

That's the gayest shit I've ever heard. And I'm gay. Seriously, stop that.

Yeah, packed in tomato sauce is popular. Anything acidic will leach BPAs from the tin, if it has a plastic interior coating, over time. But everything is bad for you these days so eat some sardines and enjoy.

ooh lala

Friend just showed me her haul. Said the Bar Harbors were nearly $4/can. Not sure I'm too keen on maple syrup and fish combo.

Forgot the picture.

Yes this is an ultimate savory breakfast

yeah, the maple syrup seems a bit weird
>great for breakfast
maybe they'd be good on some johnny cakes / hoe cakes?

I can't imagine the sheer amount of nose hell your house must endure when you blast sardines at 500 degrees in the oven.

Who likes some 'choves? Especially on a nice 'za

I have. The maple flavour is very subtle, I would have liked it to be more intense like candied salmon.

There's something very satisfying about all the different labels and styles of packaging. I get a similar feeling from safety razor blades, many of them have that oldschool look because they never really tinkered with their label designs.

That's a good idea. She said they're good with Ritz like any other sardine. Having trouble reconciling the two flavors but I'd definitely try them.

I like to buy dried anchovy and fry it.

>Look at this faggot afraid to show his powerlevel

Smell isn't strong at all. I don't understand this meme at all. Other, larger fish, when baked, smells much more strongly, and sardines out of the can have only a mild odour.

I like to eat deenz with valentina

I call it valendeenza

>dropped my can of deenz and got fish and oil everywhere

I have a question about canned fish.
Why exactly do some people keep it in
the fridge?
Does it taste better if it's cold?
I normally eat them at room temperature.

I dunno. Grocery stores refrigerate some anchovies, but not others. Some jarred fish is refrigerated, but not others. I don't think any canned/jarred needs it before opening. I also prefer it room temperature or cooked. Who the hell knows

Around here it's hard to find some of the unusual canned fishes posted in these threads, but every supermarket in the Jewnited States has a kosher aisle. Is jarred gefilte fish any good?

I dunno, ask Chris Tucker, but the grocery store across the street from work has a jew aisle so I'm going to look for this shit on Tuesday.

GOAT meal 99¢

>GOAT meal
>is fish

>What's the worst that could happen?
you buy something fermented and eat it straight

this are my grandma's favorite

my fellow deeners

Looks like Stalin if you don't load the image

Kipper snacks are my favorite. I stock up on them every time Im at the store, or try to at least, I go through them pretty quick.

I can't eat pizza if it aint got some chovies. I put them on right after the sauce, then add the rest of whatever Im topping it with, then once its done I sprinkle some el yucateco... My dick gets harder than Compton in 1992

Did they make them donuts for the English dub? They look like rice balls.

Just tried a bowl of boneless mackerel in spicy tomato sauce with mushrooms, onion, avocado, leek, carrot and celery, strange but tasty

they are rice balls, but yeah, they called them donuts

do it

I decided to go full experimental and got a variety of deenz I've never tried before.
What am I in for lads?

Avoid soybean oil in the future (any oil but olive and maybe sunflower, really). Beach Cliff is kinda cheap stuff. Otherwise, you're in for fish.

>Avoid soybean oil in the future
Why's that?

Seed oils (soybean, rapeseed, cottonseed etc. includes sunflower but I find sunflower doesn't taste so bad as the others) are high in polyunsaturated fats and the prevalence of them in our diets as they've replaced traditional fats like butter and lard over the last century (because they're a lot cheaper, being a byproduct of grain processing) contributes heavily to an imbalance of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fats. A healthy ratio of these fats is between 1:1 and 5:1, but our shit diets full of seeds and grains cranks this to 10:1 or higher. An excess of Omega-6 causes nasty inflammation and contributes to cancer (what doesn't), obesity, beetus, and other crap. Seed oils are so common in our food not because they're healthy but because they're cheap cheap cheap. They have valid industrial uses, but like margerine (created to fatten turkeys a hundred years ago, killed them instead, rebranded as butter substitute for humans) their marketing as food is purely profit-driven because otherwise, being byproducts of grain processing, they'd've been waste. Also soy might give you tits.

Fish is the primary source of Omega-3, most people don't eat nearly enough fish, hence the imbalance. Don't fuck up your healthy sardines with seed oils.

I would've gotten olive oil if they had them in stock :(

Mackerel is damn good too. I'm more prone to eat this by itself out of the can as opposed to using hot sauce/crackers when I have sardines.

Just bought these, been eating sardines a long time. Wish I could afford king Oscar double layer.

Rate my deenz

Just got my SO to go fetch me some King Oscar in Louisiana Hot Sauce, feels good man

oh hell yeah. i think sardines in tomato sauce go best with ramen.

No, that makes mustard gas.

Dollar store run: 4 Polar smoked scallops, 4 Polar Herring fillets in mustard sauce, 4 Omega-M kipper snacks. Nom.
I like the kipper snacks mixed in with drained ramen noodles with soy sauce, sweet soy, sriracha, garlic, ginger, curry powder, sesame oil, dried thai chiles and crispy fried onions.

The fuckin' canned eel at my local Asian foods place is God-tier. Sweet and fatty in the best way.

Pickled herring is pretty ubiquitous here in California. I can get it at the grocery store a block away, WinCo, and I can get it at Walmart. Yes, it is delicious. I like it on a sandwich with onions and curry paste.