Heh

Heh.

Are you guys finally ready for literature to join comic books, quipis, freakshows, cave paintings, and phenakistiscopes as a dead medium?

TV and records hobbled the market for prose and poetry decades ago, even the pulp genres. The average novel these days sells, what, 1,000 copies?

Books just cant stand up to the internet and video games. This looks like the killing blow.

It's been a good run, but it's over.

Other urls found in this thread:

unvis.it/washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading
youtu.be/EZgK2rCRvuc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>BING! WAHOOO! IT'S A-ME MARIO

With the extent of low IQ non-white immigration over that same time period, this is no surprise and will only get worse.

WTF is a quipi? And since you provide no evidence of literature being "dead," no, I'm not. Unit sales of print books rose for the third-straight year of print growth in 2016. Sure, U.S. bookstore sales are down about 34% from their peak in 2007, but books are still a massive industry, and they're not going away in your lifetime.

>Dude the comic book market is on the rebound. We moved 1,600 issues last month!
>Didn't comics used to sell 1,600,000 copies an issue back in the fifties?
>Bro shut up we are totally not a dead medium just compared this month with next month you'll see.

i'm okay with it, books are really just entertainment to those who can rub two thoughts together
if you think you are (((learning))) you should probably point the barrel the correct way before pulling the trigger

I didn't say anything about comics, but your numbers are horseshit anyway. Comic sales are up and/or steady every year lately, and it's literally a billion-dollar industry, triple what it was 20 years ago. Unless your definition of "a dead medium" is "anything that has ever had a period of greater popularity in the past at any point," I have no idea what you're rambling about.

>a chart for ants
>I was trollin lol
here's the Bezos drone's blogfart:
unvis.it/washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading
tl;dr (it's not): people who read are nicer and we need to be nicer
and some pull quotes for our polfriend:
>The 2015 data show that women (50 percent) are significantly more likely to read literature than men (36 percent). Whites (50 percent) are considerably more likely to read literature than blacks (29 percent) or Hispanics (27 percent).
>But the biggest driver of literary reading appears to be education. About 68 percent of people with a graduate degree engaged in literary reading in 2015, compared to 59 percent with a bachelor's degree and 30 percent of those with only a high school education.

anyway, could it be the modern lit is poorly written uninteresting crap?

Hm. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong but I'd wager that having more to do with dorky gen xers reaching their max earning power than more people actually becoming interested in comic books.

No, it just means the internet is in everyone's pocket and provides easy alternatives. That isn't any "killing blow," it just changes things a bit.

Why the fuck would I care, there's more good books already written than I could read in a lifetime.

Yep, I'll buy that.. but there is also the rise of non-cape comics and graphic novels to consider. There's a lot of non-nostalgia sales and great work being done that would never have found a market in the 1980s (Fantagraphics, D&Q, Dark Horse, etc.). That doesn't mean any generation of teens is going to buy up the comic stores like they once did, but having diversified a bit, it's still a strong industry in other respects.

Comics sales figures are worse now than during the depths of the Great Speculation Crash of the '90s. Marvel and DC are resorting to shipping cancelled orders so retailers have to cover the cost of disposing of them. The Big Two have multiple titles skating the Diamond basement. That isn't supposed to happen. Have you not heard anything about the industry since 2000? Marvel could tank in a matter of years.

That's more in line with what I've heard too. Comic books go back a long way but seem in decline after that 90s peak with gen xers and Kevin Smith movies. But the industry is also shooting itself in the foot becoming soldiers for SJW issues and putting out TaNesi Coats issues. It's a coordinated demolition of one the last white male culture zones. I don't know anything about graphic novels though, but assume that is what is rising in the place of comic books. Who puts out graphic novels? Are there a couple big names someone could put me onto if I want to do a little research on that? Just crossed my mind as I was writing this.

A few hundred weirdos huddling around a trickle of releases as an obscure niche hobby is no longer a mass medium. I suppose there's still people who collect, say, lobby cards, and maybe some distributor might even print a set once in a while as a lark, but let's be honest, that shit is dead, even if it's a bumper year. Is literature there yet? No, but it's coming.

>coordinated demolition of one the last white male culture zones
Mind if I steal this turn of phrase?

>But the industry is also shooting itself in the foot becoming soldiers for SJW issues and putting out TaNesi Coats issues. It's a coordinated demolition of one the last white male culture zones.
This kind of stuff always did seem to suggest desperation for growth and capture of new demographics by any means necessary. But I suspect they alienate enough people with these moves that they just maintain their position or even steepen the decline.

They need to diversify and find other ways to adapt. Because they are competing with so much other entertainment now, a lot of it free or based on a once-only purchase.

Not in the slightest, be my guest.

You're spot on.

Diversity&Comics looks at the numbers:

youtu.be/EZgK2rCRvuc

I think you'll find a lot more intentionality the deeper you dig and that there's a lot more than market forces at work. Diversity is our new religion and no cultural nook however obscure can be allowed to go on undiversified without punishment, even, though perhaps especially, the uber white male nerd zone of comic books. And you can be sure a lot of this push is coming from Hollywood, who is to a large extent propping the comic book industry up through iron man film kickbacks and the like.

Trying to sell (comic)books to minorities is stupid because they don't have as much disposable income and don't actually enjoy reading that much. It's the same mistake the democrats made in the election: why focus your efforts on people who don't even vote?

Meh, even pulp book is still an individual authorial product. You can't say the same for comics. They're deliberate corporate product with producers, marketers, writers, painters, colourists, and lastly moronic public that spends idiotic prices based on words per dollar on a page. Comics are a sub par genre for a reason. They're doing ok financially just because of their price. At the same time you have huge proportion of literature that is read, but not on the financial market, and not used in dumb market analysis's. Used books, libraries, free classics on the web, fanfiction, loaning, scientific periodicals moving off print to paywalls, and more.

Literature is doing well. It's not as popular as in literary magazines period of Verne, Dumas, and Dickens. But it's still way ahead of comics, be sure of that.

The only advantages comic books have is they're slightly cheaper to produce than short indie films and you can barely make your money back. You can write a short story for free but good luck monetizing it.

But whites due to superiour intellect are more likely to have degrees in anything than negros and Indians.

I wouldn't be too sure, I've seen a huge resurgence of the local comic book shop as a sort of space for nerds and social outcasts to congregate, subsidised by some nerd faggot named David who has rich parents and thus can afford to buy $200 of comic books and $100 of magic cards every money. This faggot is totally ok with this because he can't make any friends so he's willing to buy friends with his money.

The comic book store, in my mind, is becoming a bit of a social institution again relative to where it was in say the 90s/00s. This is strongly connected to board games rising in popularity because they're sold out of the same shops and often the store serves as a place to play, which have had a far more dramatic rise than comic books themselves in recent years, but comic books have benefited by proxy. I really think the demise of the LAN party and local multiplayer gaming led to a sort of void for social places for nerds to stink up and the comic book shop/friendly local game store filled that gap.

literature?
>women (50 percent), men (36 percent)
oh literature lol

I'm always amazed by people who take anecdotal data and extrapolate it as though it is a valid interpretation of the greater world. It's staggering how myopic this type of thinking is. But I also know these are the same people who argue against race-based data and refuse to give any credence to the jewish question because they kind of know a jewish guy who seems cool.

I've been hoping the big two would crumble for a while now. Capeshit is a cancer that's ruined the industry. Maybe after they both go belly up someone will replace them and start printing interesting stuff.

There's a stigma attached to comics that's never really gone away. Capeshit has a lot to do with it but I feel there's something else as well. The only time comics were ever really popular is when normies are fooled into thinking they're collectible. Even if some really great comics came out I don't think anything would change.

That might mean the demise of Diamond and the local comic book shop. Comics would only be sold in chain book stores then. That would mean fewer titles stocked, and by regular distributors. I think that would mean the death of most indie studios. Comics would probably stop being produced in floppies and would move entirely to trade paperbacks and graphic novels. Comics would probably eventually be assimilated into the regular publishing industry by then.