/greeks/

So I fucking fell for the meme, I actually started with the Greeks and I'm loving it.

After reading Ancient Greece: A Political, Social, and Cultural History and Mythology I moved on to tragedies.

I just read Prometheus Bound and it left such a great impression on me I can't even describe it.

It's an ancient play, one of the oldest we have, about a simple man who was horrifically punished by the powers that be for the terrible crime of trying to bring light to the common people. I especially loved the words of Aeschylus, "No good deed goes unpunished".

Anything else like this?

Post recs and how far have you progressed with your Greek reading.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Read_a_Book#Reading_list_.281972_edition.29
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Myth of Sisyphus.

Anyone else?

I read the Iliad and Odyssey over the summer. they were both absolutely fantastic and provided me with a renewed interest in literature, history and the world as a whole. The rivalries between the gods in the Iliad and the ending of the Odyssey were truly spectacular. I feel like I might be missing out on some of the gold as I read the pleb TE Lawrence translation of the Odyssey. I'm not sure where to go from here, I might just follow that meme chart and read the histories or dive into some tragedies, guess I'll check the local bookstore and see what's there.

>pleb TE Lawrence translation of the Odyssey
His translation isn't plebeian at all

Honestly, I did no research on it beforehand and picked it up at Chapters (Canadian Barnes & Noble) for $6 and assumed it was shit tier, good to no it's not.

I just assumed it was as I picked it up for $6 at my local chapters and it had a pop fiction type cover. Good to know it's not.

pls stop

You have no idea what Schizophrenia does to a man.

You haven't a clue what Schizoph

renia does?

You don't even know how it feels to be a schizo

I louldly keked.
I hope, somehow, this ends up being a meme.

Those meds aren't working, pal. I'd even dare to think that they are worsening your condition.

>It's an ancient play, one of the oldest we have, about a simple man who was horrifically punished by the powers that be for the terrible crime of trying to bring light to the common people.
Make anyone else think of /pol/?

I kek'd loudly. I hope, somehow, this ends up being a meme.

What the fuck is going on...

Prometheus Bound Was the worst and most boring play of them all imo. Now the Three Theban Plays and the Oresteia were amazing. The Persian play was also fabulous but read a bit like Athenian propaganda. I was also absolutely smitten by the tradegies, they've been my favorite part of the Greeks so far.

Official cringe post of 2017

I've read Homer, Hesiod, & Pindar.

>we'll try and discredit him as a schizo so he can't wipe the floor with us legally

Pal, those meds aren't working. Dare I to think even that they are worsening your condition?

Go tidy your room kiddo

>the words of Aeschylus

restart with the Greeks

I've done almost everything. Still working on the Organon and then have to finish Metaphysics, on the Soul, Rhetoric and maybe two or 3 other writings of Ari and then I am almost done. Perhaps I will also do Xenophon, Pindar, and Aesop before I go to the Stoics and then the Hellenic age.

Love the Greeks but I kinda really want to start moving on to the Romans.

>we don't have an answer for our obvious tactic
>not even lying, denying, or making counter accusations

this a weird ass thread

> Blatantly stealing from Rubens while ruining all of his beautiful details

REEEEEEEE

Why doesn't Veeky Forums start with the sumerians?

i can't tell the difference beside some colors that is

What do I start with if I am already familiar with the greeks?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Read_a_Book#Reading_list_.281972_edition.29

Work your way through this

Thank you senpai

>Ancient Greece: A Political, Social, and Cultural History and Mythology
Where did you get it? I can only find the brief version

OP...easy on the drugs

Amazon, it wasn't cheap tho

lets settle it right now Veeky Forums I'm going to read The Iliad and Odyssey, is the Fagles translation acceptable or not?

Did you get the ebook? If so, please share

Abraham and Issac follows this kind of morally ambiguous tone if that's what you're going for.

Just play Rock of Ages. Basically the same thing.

bump for your question, i have no idea

Lattimore or you are retarded.

>reading Greeks in anything but the original language.

STEMspergs thinking they can find the Good Life lmao

Should I read Hesiod before Homer to understand Greek mythology? I don't want to read Hamilton

>a simple man
He was a fucking titan you moron, not a man and not simple.

Made me think of Uncle A.

>read a bit like Athenian propaganda
Isn't this practically every play by an Athenian playwright?
Also what the hell is going on itt

You have no idea what Schizophrenia does to a man.

What are the best translations of the Histories and the History of the Peloponnesian War?

You have no idea what translations do to a (wo)man.

I want these god damn /pol/-tards off my board right fucking now.