Paganism/nature/woods horror

So I just finished The Great God Pan from Arthur Machen, very good novel.
I'm a lot into paganism/nature horror (gloomy, eerie horror) like this (I also liked The Witch, the movie), what author would you tell me to check?

Other urls found in this thread:

folkhorror.com/items/browse?collection=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not very horror but 'The Devil In A Forest' by Gene Wolfe might interest you. It's mostly a coming of age story but his attention to detail and appreciation of history make it interesting enough.

Very interesting thread, wait for it my whole life or even more

I'll definitely look into it, looks interesting.

There's the story of Young Goodman Brown, by Nathaniel Hawthorne

There's The Willows and The Wendigo, by Algernon Blackwood

That's basically all I can think of.

The Dunwich Horror is basically the same story just not as well written.

Also, just thought of it, there's a bunch of great old nature horror/woodland stories in this collection. If you can't find a copy, you can always look up the stories individually.

Any good witch books?

Ayyy, thanks to the last horror thread I ordered The Great God Pan/The Hill Of Dreams combination book.

Looking forward to it. Also ordered Sylvan Dread:Tales Of Pastoral Darkness, I know nothing of Gavin's work so I'll just hope for the best.

As I said numerous times in the last thread I'm a big Laird Barron fanboy and a lot of his stories take place in Pacific Northwest forests (where I live) so check his stuff out if you haven't already OP.

As for pagan horror stories I have nothing to offer sadly, I think The Great God Pan will be my first foray into this particular branch of weird/horror fiction.

Also have John Langan's novel The Fisherman coming too so I'm looking forward to that as well because someone last thread said it was pretty good.

I note these two. Especially The Willows and The Wendigo, thanks.
Is it based on Pan too or it's a pure creation of Lovecraft?

From what little I know of TGGP just by its synopsis, The Dunwich Horror is completely different.

But I guess both stories are sort of a woodsy Satans spawn kind of thing. (whereas the portrayal of Satan is mostly a rehashing of Pan).

The word you're looking for is Folk Horror
folkhorror.com/items/browse?collection=2

Read Machen's "The White People". Even Lovecraftian thought it was the best weird horror story ever written.

My phone autocorrected Lovecraft to Lovecraftian. Yikes.

Here ya' go lad, a whole series!

Also, great thread OP

Why don't you genuinely contribute then, instead of being a sarcastic shitbag? You absolute chode of a human being.

Wew, easy now. I'm not the first guy, nor was I sarcastic. I actually have a ton of great books containing folklore/history/tales - but since you're probably an American, you wouldn't be able to read it.

Make with the goods you europoor cunt.

If you can read german Horst Lange - Die Schwarze Weide.
The short stories of Horacio Quiroga.Thanks to reding him when i was younger i will never look at a pillow the same way again.
Search for The Feather Pilllow to see what i mean.

lmao what a crybaby

this.

Thanks man, that'll make my research on the topic easier.
I actually started to read it yesterday, did you read it?
Kek, being here, it's already cool we have more than 2 people to debate.
Do you have french ones by any chance?

Yeah man I read it over the summer

Haha, I was actually reading Quiroga just a moment ago. Fucking brilliant. op should check him out if he hasn't already.