What the fuck did I just read?

What the fuck did I just read?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rTqxCTu2OjM&list=PLYFBLkHop2anlJ9wrDXdhugr95AJ3dMKA
garynorth.com/freebooks/docs/pdf/the_great_tribulation.pdf
preteristarchive.com/Books/pdf/1987_chilton_days-of-vengeance.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Some dude's end of the world fever dream, heavily inspired by the old testament prophets.

It also got Muhammad's dick really hard when he heard the Christians preaching about how fucked up the end times were gonna be.

What was your favorite part user?

An impenetrably symbolic-allegorical polemic against the Roman Empire.

also it was written right after the fall of the second temple and what looked like the end of Judaism as we know it

schizophrenic ramblings of a deranged mind. still a good read though

biblical postmodernism

A perfectly rational, logical, comprehensible religious polemic employing extensive imagery and symbolism familiar to the educated reader and written in a well-established and well-populated traditional genre with well-known, standardized tropes.

It's a diatribe against the Roman empire of his time. There's no far future prophecies in this book. Almost the entire book is a symbolic reference to the issues at the time it was written.

When you realize that 'the whore of Bablyon' refers to Rome it makes a lot more sense.

>historicism
the fuck outta here

>No, it's the academics who are wrong

(((academics)))

Yeah last time I was in Rome I got stung by a scorpion lion and tripped and fell into the bottomless pit.

Sure every single book of the Bible starting with Genesis is written loaded with foreshadowing, prefiguration, and prognostication, but let's make an exception for Revelation because reasons lol Has it ever occurred to you in comparing Rome to oppressive empires of the past John might have been making a statement about ALL empires including those of the future? It's almost like they're in the same category!

>trusting (((academics))) over the word of G-d

>G-d
Hello, Moishe.

Apocalyptic writing is a genre that has conventions that make it intelligible to its readers. Apocalyptic texts are as much about the past and present as the future. They clothe discourse of current events in symbolism.

>(((academics)))
I agree, I also think the earth is flat. (((They))) can't convince me otherwise.

>Yeah last time I was in Rome I got stung by a scorpion lion and tripped and fell into the bottomless pit.
You are gonna need a bigger boat if that's your bait.

>but let's make an exception for Revelation because reasons lol Has it ever occurred to you in comparing Rome to oppressive empires of the past John might have been making a statement about ALL empires including those of the future? It's almost like they're in the same category!
Except it's clear from the text itself that he is referring to the Roman empire specifically. The reason why this view is universal among biblical scholars is because the evidence of the text is so strong in supporting that view. There is no reason to believe that the author is referring to past political powers when the evidence of the Roman allegory is so strong.
There is a lot about the future in Revelations but not of future kingdoms or empires. The author of Revelations believed that the end was imminent. There wasn't time for new empires to come.

>insight into the symbolic/spiritual truths of existence
>snarky

rare combo...

>There is no reason to believe that the author is referring to past political powers

Dead on!

"Babylon" just phonetically happened to be the name of a swinging brothel next to the Colosseum.

Weird that John mentioned some clay feet all by their lonesome.

kek

>"Babylon" just phonetically happened to be the name of a swinging brothel next to the Colosseum.
I'd really like a source on this, I can't find shit.

An extremely colourful description of real historical events in the first century.
youtube.com/watch?v=rTqxCTu2OjM&list=PLYFBLkHop2anlJ9wrDXdhugr95AJ3dMKA

How did the Revelations end up in the Bible anyway?

>le roman empire meme
the only people who honestly believe that are athiests or people who take everything in the bible as bullocks. this is not about the roman empire and the whole number of the beast being attributed to any roman emperor is idiotic

An already deranged jew high on shrooms.

This is good shit user.

Thanks.

Isn't that preterism? Isn't historicism everything from John's time to now?

A description of September 23

>I can dismiss the consensus view among experts by saying they are atheists
Asides from the fact it's wrong it's also stupid. The proportion of biblical scholars who are also Christian is large.

Why is the number of the beast equating Nero bullocks? Jewish numerology was so common that the authors target audience would have immediately understood to whom he was referring.

If you read and understood the rest of the Bible it should be pretty clear what it means.

>RevelationS
It's just one Revelation, sweetie, singular not plural :)

Academics are fucking idiots, so yes.

The earth is flat.
The view is not universal, it's universal amongst atheistic 'scholars'.

What were the beasts supposed to represent? Also is the book of Isaiah the most self-referenced book in the New Testament?

They represent nothing. They are actual beasts.

Try Bohme first.

Delirium tremens from the perspective of the alcoholic fourteen hours after his booze runs out.

Best explanation of the Book of Revelation:

THE GREAT TRIBULATION by David Chilton
>garynorth.com/freebooks/docs/pdf/the_great_tribulation.pdf

Chilton very persuasively argues that the initial fulfillment of the prophecies in Revelation and Matthew 24 occurred when the Temple was destroyed in 70AD. It is remarkable to see how Josephus's account of the destruction of Temple matches up with the prophecies of Scripture; Chilton goes into some detail on this. The pdf is authorized by the publisher (however, I'd suggest you skip the longwinded "Publisher's Preface"; I note that the book itself is crisply and engagingly written).

Chilton also wrote a longer and more detailed commentary, likewise available in an authorized pdf:

DAYS OF VENGEANCE
>preteristarchive.com/Books/pdf/1987_chilton_days-of-vengeance.pdf

No. Revelation has little to do with the rest of the bible. It's the only book in the New Testament with no mention of Christ.

>no mention of Christ.
pretty hot interpretation, lad. care to elaborate?

He's mentioned in the very first verse, speedreader.

Some of the best verses in the entire Bible about Christ are mentioned in Revelation. This is my all time favorite Bible verse. It is so beautiful and haunting, it stirs me to my absolute freaking soul everytime I read it:

"I am the first and the last and the living one. Behold, I died, and am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades."

Jesus said that. And if you don't feel the testimony of the Holy Spirit confirming that truth in your heart, you're lost.

>hes got the keys keys keys

No direct mention of Christ, you tool.

>Jesus said that. And if you don't feel the testimony of the Holy Spirit confirming that truth in your heart, you're lost.
I like how you absolve yourself of the labor of having to convince anyone of Christianity's reality by merely stating that anyone who would convert would do so instantly upon having a verse quoted at them.

Ecstatic nonsense

>he gets his beliefs from scribes

dib id :-DDD

The best superhero script ever written.

>2017
>"academics"

>Revelation 1:1
>The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place.

>the opinions of one academic means science don't real
You know that meth is bad for you right?

Science don't real because it is epistemological cancer that is only valid if one presupposes it.

>epistemological
Good thing philosophy don't real then, because you know academics and all that.

So is fucking everything dude.

Wow, who knew """""G-d""""" came up with such a rambling load of bollocks?

Murca: the Christian answer to the Islamic Caliphate.

What? It mentions Christ about 30 times. He outright appears as a character in it, having been before like a lamb but now being a fiery judge.

wow epin
If you're a rationalist brainlet, sure.
I'm not American you stupid adolescent

HAHAHA LE BRITISH XDDDDD
Fuck off, *nglo

Revelations is just butthurt writing

John wrote it after the persecution of christians he was too assblasted about it

Just like the divine comedy

He isn't American but has an American education. Could you be more cucked?

I have neither.
You're the spooked one here, mate.

America is a tier of education bucko, go back to your conservative creationist pastor tier teachers who will support you in the belief that science don't real.

>science is correct becuz muh ideology sez so
Back to r*ddit. I have two BSc; you're in high school. Stawmen aren't cool.

>And if you don't feel the testimony of the Holy Spirit confirming that truth in your heart, you're lost.
m8, it's a good verse but come on.

This post is reddit as fuck.

A redditor would know. You need to go back.

>we can't trust the only sources we have so we should doubt everything about them
bro that's a fallacy which leads to the problem of infinite regress

>"and I have the keys of Death and Hades."

But then who has the keys to the kingdom? Are they lost??

He gave them to Peter

Absurd.
How can a rock use keys.

An archetypal vision that expresses the negative side of Christ. The author's personal overemphasis of the wholly good nature of Christ called forth a counter image to restore balance. The God symbol is one of completeness, so when one side of the duality is completely banished form the symbol, the unconscious isn't happy.

What are you on about? That wasn't even remotely implied.

>the negative side of Christ.
What negative side? The side that judges the world, punishes Satan and defeats death forever?

Yeah, Stormbringer Christ, for the soul of every one.