This is just neet wish fulfillment at best

This is just neet wish fulfillment at best

This novel was melodramatic tripe and anyone who thinks otherwise is a maudlin sap

Yea it sucked. Last time I listen to Veeky Forums

holy fuck i am triggered

Is this essential robotcore? No Longer Human, A Confederacy of Dunces, A Catcher in the Rye, and The Great Gatsby certainly are.

I can tell you're an intellectual because you used the word maudlin.

Well, I'm glad I'm not you or any of the others who didn't like it.

Book is beautiful but you only really get it if you're a passionate humanities major.

>The Great Gatsby
Everybody in that book is a normie.

Agreed on Confederacy of Dunces though. Top tier robotcore

He raped his wife.

i got it and i'm dropout scum.

At least you tried.

Just because she's dull doesn't mean he raped her. Bitch ruined his life because she didn't get to go to Europe on vacation.

What wishes were fulfilled exactly? He had a shitty life.

Neets fetishize their suffering because, subconsciously, they know that without it they would just be like the normies they despise.

Edith's father raped her, probably since she was a child. Think about it.

I liked the book.

Is that Stephen Colbert on the cover?

The main character (forgot his name lel) is a robot, sits on the sidelines while all the normans drink and have sex, has a very skeptical attitude towards his oneitis once he realizes she (and by extension all women) is a whore and isn't worth the trouble.

I couldn't wrap my head around this book. Aside from the fact it was beautifully written, I can't help but feel Stoner wasn't the tragic hero of the story. I found myself more interested in the politics of college administration and about the mindset of his wife. Any books that explain how such women thought in that time period?

there's no tragic hero in the book. Stoner is just a human being

Yes, it was legal back then in a marital situation, at least I believe, I can't remember the exact timeline.
Yeah, also true, it's definitely alluded to strongly, especially with that creepy scene about her while she was away.

edith cucked stoner

>He had a shitty life
i wouldnt say it was shitty, it was just normal. people go through shit. even the author said it wasnt really a sad novel, just maybe less hopeful than stoner was

> I can't help but feel Stoner wasn't the tragic hero
You're right.

>book about empathy for other human beings
>NEET wish fulfillment
Pick one.

Not true. The book states they are both virgins, however it is likely he sexually abused her.

I honestly find Edith the most fascinating character in the book. I would love for John Williams to still be alive so that there could be discussion with him about that character.

Of course, if he was still alive then feminists would be shouting at him calling him a misogynist.

in a book this straight forward, i dont think its likely. it gave no hints to anything like that, not to me anyway.

does edith have BPD? did she expect so much and refused anything but? is this related to stoner having to compromise so much with their relationship and manages to stay together for a while?

How she acts during sex and what she does when she goes home could be seen as implying this. It's entirely an interpretation, though.

Most of how she acts, I think, is due to her relationship with her parents, largely her relationship with her father. I could believe her having BPD, though, but I think this would stem from her childhood.

That's the genius of it. The book seems so straightforward most people don't notice.

>hates having sex
>burns the photos/letters of her father after he dies
>tries everything to keep Grace away from Stoner because she thinks he'll do the same

Where exactly does it say they are both virgins? I haven't read it in a long time.

not him but it was stated explicitly that they were both virginal. Edith had one previous boyfriend who cheated on her although later she said she was very popular and many boys used to call on her. Stoner being the awkward fucknut he was had been a kissless hugless handholdless virgin up to that point. He had probably never even fapped.

I was planning on going to business school but I finished this last week and now I want to become a history professor instead. Am I making a big mistake?

But didn't you read the book? They won, the Walkers of these world. College is now a place where people can get by based on who they know or if they are a minority. John Williams wrote it to show meritocracy is dead.

But I feel inspired to dive into my passion, and share it with the next generation. I always figured Stoner won in the end against Lomax. He lost on Walker, he lost on Katherine, but he won where it mattered. He won the fight to challenge and love his students.

rape is defined by law, hence why the definition differs between countries. I don't think it was raped in that time frame.

>The three of us, we were together, and he said—something about the University being an asylum, a refuge from the world, for the dispossessed, the crippled. But he didn’t mean Walker. Dave would have thought of Walker as—as the world. And we can’t let him in. For if we do, we become like the world, just as unreal, just as…The only hope we have is to keep him out.
;__;

He won a small insignificant battle and utterly lost the war. College is a meme. Focus on making a youtube channel instead, that's where people go to learn nowadays.

>He won the fight to challenge and love his students.
He didn't even win here. Don't you see, by this point he had himself become his old professor Archer Sloane, a teacher students hated, but Stoner was so helplessly clueless he thought he was making an impact.

His class got the highest scores, Lomax acquiesced, and Sloane was loved by the students that mattered with regards to literature and the humanities, i.e. students like young Stoner or Masters. Stoner himself was adored by the student base in his old age. He was a legend because he stood up to the administration. You can't help it if stem kids resent you for a required literature course.

>robot
>has had sex multiple times and held a job throughout his entire adult life

pick one

I think you guys are seriously reaching. Almost everything in the book was really simple and straight-forward in terms of plot, why would they make something like that so cryptic? And why would we be expected to feel any sympathy for Stoner if he actually raped her?

inb4 edgelords saying there's nothing wrong with rape or she deserved it or something

I agree. Has OP or the 'muh rape' crowd even read the book?

user, I think you missed something about Nick
he likes getting fugged by benis :DDDDDDD