Do other countries have pic related?

>Rohesser is a certain type of raw pork sausage from Germany which is mainly eaten as a snack or in combination with traditional German ‘Abendbrot’ – a cold dinner with a wide variety of foods such as sliced meats and cheeses eaten on bread or rolls. Since Rohesser can be easily stored for up to 4 weeks and do not require much refridgeration, they are an ideal snack that can be taken to picnics or camping trips.

Rohesser – which literally translates to ‘raw eaters’ – are produced with coarsely ground pork that is seasoned and filled into real intestines. The characteristic taste is created by smoking them over night in beech wood. The sausage has a distinct reddish colour that is usually achieved by adding paprika powder or special color enhancements.

Right after the smoking process, Rohesser are still rather soft and start hardening when being dried and stored. This can be influenced by the consumer himself in his own preferred way. Keeping them refridgerated will slow down the hardening process. While the usual Rohesser has a strong smoky flavour, the sausage is also sold in other variations with different kinds of spices, for example in a spicy version with chili or pepper.

they're fucking great, have you had the pleasure of experiencing them Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2Htf99apotE?t=54
deejayssmokepit.net/Woods.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_sausages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabanos
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sounds incredible. Im honestly thinking of taking a trip around germany just to try all the beer and sausage.

bring your gun

Will look out for the sausage when I go to Düsseldorf.

try to get still soft ones they're imo much better. especially the pepper kind

Landjäger are better

we got this in slovakia (east of germany), it's good shit

don't they usually have caraway in them? i hate that shit

>do other countries have pic related?

Yes

>raw pork sausage
It's not "raw" if it is smoked overnight.

In the US we call them beef sticks or smoked sausages if they are not beef or a blend. They are sold where beef jerky is sold.

Yeah, I also don't like it, but in Landjäger I find the taste to be quite mild and it actually does something for the flavour (of course I also grew up with it). If you really can't stand it, then go with Pfefferbeißer or something like that. Landjäger have a stronger flavour imho.

Pretty sure every country except for UK have those.
I never understood why people jizz themselves over German sausages, it's the same as in any other country. If anything it's the Spanish meats that is the best. Fuet and all that.

youtu.be/2Htf99apotE?t=54

go to position 0 minutes 54 seconds

Get zom pfefferbeisser

If it's cold smoked, it's still raw.

chinese version, i guess. it's cooked and has a sweet flavor though.

Those aren't even remotely similar to what he's describing. American style beef sticks are more closely related to polish kabonasy, albeit far inferior.

I am a 43 year old German and I have never ever hear the term "Rohesser" in my whole life. Must be an extremely regional thing. A more common term would me "Landjäger" sausages, or "Kaminwurzn"

Is this available in most Asian grocery stores? I have always wanted to try it in fried rice. Ming Tsai said you can use bacon, but I know it's not the same.

yeah, it should be staple. american or chinese bacon? all three are rather different. lap cheong has a lot of fat, but definitely worth trying.

Beat me to it

Are raisins the same thíng as grapes?

Which country doesn't have dried sausage?

>Deutsche
>Denken, deren Wurstsorten wären den südeuropäischen Wurstsorten überlegen
you niggas should really visit the Balkans, Spain and Italy. Only then will you understand what proper sausages are

>pork anything
>in germany
Literally how?

>beech
While we're on the fucking subject of beech, where can I get untreated beech logs here in the US? I was just looking for some this morning to no avail.
I'm a filthy immigrant here. In my home country, beech is used in most smoking applications as well as to fire traditional ovens meant for baking bread and roasting meats. Some home bakers put a log of beech into the oven to impart at least some semblance of beech-like flavour to their homemade loaves. I'd like to do this, but all I can find here are beech chips. Hickory and pecan logs aplenty. I come across the occasional oak log for sale. But beech is just thin on the ground here.
If I can't find any reliable source from which to purchase beech logs, do government agencies here give permits to cut a tree down myself from public land? I'd assume not, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any help?

Also, yes: we have rohesser-like sausages sold either as "fresh" or "aged" versions. Fresh ones are soft, moist and have slightly more fat. Aged ones are leaner, tougher and dry.
Here in America, the closest thing they have is something called "Slim Jim," but that's still lightyears away in terms of flavour.

Beech grow all over east of the MS river. You orobably could collect fallen wood but be warned many states have laws about transporting wood due to concerns about spreading disease. Check with your local forestry or agricultural extension offices.

those are all different things you pleb

Thanks.
Your file name leads me to a different question: I noticed it's labeled as 'fagus grandifolia' IE large-leaf beech in Latin. I know the one we use is 'fagus sylvatica' IE forest beech in Latin. Do you know if there's a stark contrast in flavour between these two species or not? I'd hate to spend time tracking down some beech and using it only for it to impart an entirely unfamiliar taste to my bread.
I find no information online so far beyond differences in woodworking, flavour of the nuts and size/shape of the leaves. I can't find anything comparing flavour.

>Do you know if there's a stark contrast in flavour
No, I've never used the american beech for smoking. I've seen beech in the hardwood forest where I gather my oak, pecan, hickory, maple and walnut but I never thought to try it. I usually see it along stream or river bottoms. This site lists a bunch of different woods and they say beech (pretty sure they're talking about american beech) is a great all around smoking wood with a mild flavor.

deejayssmokepit.net/Woods.htm

Our beech is also an all-rounder, used for everything from cheese to meat as well as for general cooking so maybe it will actually be comparable, thanks. I'll keep up the search for someone to sell some to me but will keep in mind that I live in an area with several streams, creeks, rivers and wooded areas from which I might be able to harvest my own discreetly (I'll just lop some branches off).
Speaking of, I've got mulberry and American chestnut in my back garden and have to cut those fuckers' branches down every year. Never thought to cure and use them before now. Think they'd be good for bread baking?

I've used chestnut for meat and while not as strong as oak or hickory it might be too strong for bread, idk. I'm right now curing some mulberry I cut last fall and that site I referenced earlier says it's a mild smoke with a hint of blackberry which sounds ideal for bread. I'm really looking foward to trying it with salmon and chicken

>"Raw" pork
>Smoked over night
So it's not raw at all?

>i'm too retarded to know cold smoking is done at a temp under 70F in the meat chamber
So what precisely do you cook at 70F? Even your tendies have to be warmed up at higher temp than that.

These are very common gas station item in the US. Most people just call them 'meat sticks'.

No, you're the ignoramus, not him.
Cold smoking simply features the understanding that meat absorbs smoke best while it is raw, hence keeping the temp low during the initial smoke introduction. But. the food is cured by preservatives, the smoke and dessication. But, the end product is essentially cooked protein when referring to sausages. Not so for salmon, of course, and other foods not treated with nitrites, salt, sugar, smoke and other curing.

You're objectively wrong. Curing does not cook by any definition of the term. Neither does drying w/o heat ftm. Nitrites prevent the development of botulism toxin but do not cook meat. In fact, they don't don't even kill parasites. Smoke applied to a low temp meat chamber from a separate firebox will not cook the meat either. What dimension do you hail from where any of that is called cooking?

Its fucking sausage, m8

>Rohesser
Never had it, but like mentioned, Landjäger are pretty great. I'll have to see if I can find Rohesser in my area to try.

>what dimension do you hail from?
The dungeon dimensions. It's really obscure. You've probably never heard of it.

Its not "raw" if its smoked.
Thats like saying pickles are raw cucumbers.
We do have Koldtbord, which is basically the same serving method.

>pork
Haram

>pork haram
Yeah for a whopping 5% of the german population. Now how many millions in the US consider pork not kashrut or haram, 56%er? Pay close attention to kashrut you good goys.

Not even American, but if their census is to be believed, only 2,4% of US residents are followers of either Judaism or Islam. 1,5% of residents are Jews and 1% are Mohammedans.
By your own admission, 5% of Germany is Muzzie.
Try again.

Yeah it’s a staple in many regions in China

Wow, seems strange that such a small number of friendly neighborhood jews in the US control the country whereas the 5% of german muslims don't force merkel to attend a mosque. Hmm, strange really.

That's nice, but what does that diatribe have to do with the fact that a larger percentage (five times larger, at that) of German residents are subhumans v US residents?

>a whopping 5% of the german population
Germans do not consider those people part of the population ... they just came here uninvited and refuse to leave again.

Retake the Abitur, idiot.

The turks where very invited. Just two generations ago. [spoiler]Q__Q[/spoiler]

Furthermore, the German Embassy to DC estimates that 5% of legal German residents are of full or partial Turkish background (they can only estimate since the German census does not ask about ethnicity nor national origin because lolocaust). They also estimate 1,2% of full or partial Arab-speaking heritage and 0,3% of Persian heritage. This doesn't include the 1,5% of the German population which are undocumented /and/ of Muslim origin. Considering that well over 90% of these populations are Mohamedans, Germany is more likely to have a 7% Mudslime population, no? That's really rather high, isn't it?

yeah, that region around württemberg/bavaria/austria/swizerland/slovakia got pretty similar food and culture in general

No, they were never "invited". We had to take all those backwards illiterate Anatolian mountainturk goatfuckers in because getting rid of them was Turkey's price for joining the NATO, and Germany had to pay it. No German has ever really >wanted< the Turks here.

>That's really rather high, isn't it?
I couldnt agree more. Way too high. But we got rid of the Jews, we can get rid of the muslims too again if we have to. The wind is changing in Germany right now.

spanish sausage and meat is the lowest tier, literally uneatable, just look at chorizo or jamon serrano
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_sausages

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabanos

Nasty little thieves, """"""they"""""" tried to stole it from us, our precious.

I am also german and have lived in several cities in the west and north of the country (Bonn, Köln, Hamburg, Frankfurt am Main).
I have NEVER heard of these sausages either.

been there, and nope, they got maybe 1 or 2 good types

best and biggest variety is in germany/czech/slovakia/poland

as of 2016, Judaism 2.1 % here in the us and

ever gone in any store?! literally everywhere you can buy this, rewe, edeka, kaufland, penny, lidl, aldi, real, netto

Yes but they're not called Rohbeißer. The point isn't not having seen or eaten them, but not having herd the name.

Except Gallup poll estimates and official US census figures aren't the same thing. Gallup gives 2,1 and 0,8 respectively for Judaism's and Islam's representation amongst US residents as an estimate while the census gives different, official, definitive figures.
>2,5% of germans are muslim
At least 5,5% of legal German residents are Muslim, including 2,5% /of German citizens/, which is certainly the figure you're using. Remember, 8% of German residents, including both its citizens and its myriad undocumented residents, are of heritage originating in Muslim-majority nations. But if you want to go by national citizenry only, 0,72% of American citizens are Muslim, less than a third the percentage of German citizens, by the way. And most of those American citizen Muslims are assalam-a-fake-em black prison converts who are about as likely to follow Islam to its violent conclusion as they are to read a book.

simpletoons, when they buy beef do they say "moo meat"?

they are not called "rohesser" in frankfurt at least. sure we have those kind of sausage here but not as rohesser. are you from eastern germany? totally different range of products in supermarkets there.

nasty