But and so and but so

>But and so and but so
Was he for real?

Fucking protofedorian

dead.

if dfw grew up in a hood high school he would have killed himself

sorry to break the news user...

>retards can't recognize satire
He's mocking something people really do and exaggerating it for comedic effect.

>thinking lit has a sense of humor
>not realizing that only classicists are held with any modicum of respect

DUDE ADS LMAO

>comedic effect
INFINITE JEST IS NOT A COMEDY IT'S JUST VERY SAD

I know this is just irony but Infinite Jest is objectively very sad. A failure to recognize this probably means you are a dead and bloodless robot too corrupted by contemporary society with no hope of ever having the ability to feel

i feel sad reading it because dfw was such a fucking terrible writer trying so desperately to convince himself he had talent

Three sections in particular are incredibly sad and moving - really get to me

- All of the Randy Lenz stuff
- The part about Pemulis's (I think) brother being raped by his Dad
- Don Gately and Mrs Wade baking that cake and the cruelty of the other kids towards her

>Not realising this is some of the greatest writing in modern American literature
Wew

Past the flannel plains and blacktop graphs and skylines of canted rust, and past the tobacco-brown river overhung with weeping trees and coins of sunlight through them on the water downriver, to the place beyond the windbreak, where untilled fields simmer shrilly in the A.M. heat: shattercane, lamb's-quarter, cutgrass, sawbrier, nutgrass, jimsonweed, wild mint, dandelion, foxtain, muscadine, spine-cabbage, goldenrod, creeping charlie, butter-print, nightshade, ragweed, wild oat, vetch, butcher grass, invaginate volunteer beans, all heads gently nodding in a morning breeze like a mother's soft hand on your cheek. An arrow of starlings fired from the windbreak's thatch. The glitter of dew that stays where it is and steams all day. A sunflower, four more, one bowed, and horses in the distance standing rigid and still as toys. All nodding. Electric sounds of insects at their business. Ale-colored sunshine and pale sky and whorls of cirrus so high they cast no shadow. Insects all business all the time. Quartz and chert and schist and chondrite iron scabs in granite. Very old land. Look around you. The horizon trembling, shapeless. We are all of us brothers.

Some crows come overhead then, three or four, not a murder, on the wing, silent with intent, corn-bound for the pasture's wire beyond which one horse smells at the other's behind, the lead horse's tail obligingly lifted. Your shoes' brand incised in the dew. An alfalfa breeze. Socks' burrs. Dry scratching inside a culvert. Rusted wire and tilted posts more a symbol of restraint than a fence per se. NO HUNTING. The shush of the interstate off past the windbreak. The pasture's crows standing at angles, turning up patties to get at the worms underneath, the shapes of the worms incised in the overturned dung and baked by the sun all day until hardened, there to stay, tiny vacant lines in rows and inset curls that do not close because head never quite touches tail. Read these.

the pemulis scene was funny as shit what are you talking about
the mrs wade story was sad tho

He did kill himself. His final public contribution was a top ten list of greatest books that he made to deliberately upset all his fans and peers. It was the literary equivalent of the Nero Order.

Funny for an incestual gay rape scene, maybe

dfw doesn't really have the talent to pull it off as a tragedy

Don't understand what talent has to do with it
- tragedy takes more talent?

Either way I found it to be the most harrowing section of the novel so we obviously disagree on that one

He didn't pull it off cause he doesn't have the talent to pull it off

You didn't pull that comment off because you don't have the talent to pull it off

I remember the scene where Mario asks Avril how to tell if someone (Hal) is sad

She tries to describe it, but after a while she is at a loss for words... sadness is hard to detect

The part where Gately sees Himself as The Wraith in the hospital and he explains his plan to finally connect with Hal post-mortem made me break down crying at my desk and work and my coworker's were all staring at me wondering why I'd cry at a book.

>Not realising this is some of the greatest writing in modern American literature
>implying that the best murican literature is anywhere near great
user.. easy on the burgers..

I'm not American ya tool

it's been a while since ive read IJ but one scene which struck me acutely was Hal discussing his father's suicide with the psychiatrist

"Something smells delicious!"

pauses in high affect speech

I asked him what the cockshitting fuck he wanted from me

sad as fuck because you know she blames herself for Himself's suicide

The best part of this was Orin's concern over what Hal had witnessed and Hal's ignoring said concern.

Thought this was a John Green thread at first glance. Just realized how similar the two look, and John uses that "andbutso" shit a lot.