Nordic Veeky Forums General

Discuss literature stamped by the hard, northern soul.

Iceland - Norway - Sweden - Denmark - Finland

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KJzwC_8f6nA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I read a play by Ibsen a while back. It was about Catiline, which was interesting.

I'm thinking of reading the Prose Edda and Poetic Edda soon.

Has anyone read The Kalevala (Finnish epic) or Knausgård's work?

Knausgård is /ourguy/, get to it.

this.
As hard I can try I really can't get into Ibsen.

The Unknown Soldier

Hamsun

>As hard I can try I really can't get into Ibsen.
I haven't read much of his work, as it seems like a lot of social problem stuff that wouldn't interest me (Dickens). I checked out the play about Catiline, as the historical character interested me.

Any specific work?

Where do I start with Strindberg?

Per Petterson is one of my favourite authors

Georg Brandes

Learn Finnish and read this

Hunger is a «classic». Though i like Growth of the Soil more

Read Per Gynt

Read Terje Vigen if you hate the Eternal Anglo

Röda Rummet

I guess this needs to be posted

I would love to read some swedish literature, but unfortunately I don't understand arabic.

I need to read this book, is highly recommended and so regarded.

Gonna start Flowering Nettles soon

How does this compare to Johannes Angelos (The Dark Angel)?

Sigrid Undset

I'm Hans Christian Andersen.

youtu.be/KJzwC_8f6nA

Independent people is fantastic, a real knock out. I started reading it without really caring, just because, but it really moved me. Is it his best work?

Explain this to me more please?

Ibsen is alright so far.

What's it like?

You know when you shake your junk after a wee but somehow there was still wee left when you put your junk back in? It's like that but in reverse.

Back to /pol/

Most accurate description of Alastalon salissa I have and will ever read, bravo.

It has more intresting and better developed characters (especially the women), and the main character isn't a total flatline.

Doesn't matter, as long as you read A Dream Play.

>general
Fuck off

Hey, fuck you.

tfw you bust your Knut but the starvation lingers corrupting you.

Hvilken Islandsk forfatter er bedst - og hvorfor er det Hálldor Laxness?

Sorry, you seem to have posted this in the wrong thread. This one is meant for literature, not philosophy scantily disguised as literature in the proper sense of the word. If you think Either/Or has the aesthetic merit to compete with actual Danish literature then you're either a) still in high school where you haven't read anything that wasn't part of your curriculum, which curriculum you also skimmed because high school is fucking easy, or b) a complete philistine. To say that Kierkegaard is literature worthwhile is to depreciate the value of Paludan-Moller, Pontoppidan, Wied, Jacobsen, the list could go on...

>Sorry, you seem to have posted this in the wrong thread. This one is meant for literature, not philosophy scantily disguised as literature in the proper sense of the word.
Whether you like it or not, he is perfectly suitable for discussion on a literature board. Philosophy can be discussed on Veeky Forums as long as it pertains to the literature behind it

The point which you missed was not that he is not suitable but that the literature he wrote was shit, comparatively speaking. Given the rarity of Nordic lit threads, talking about Kierkegaard or even mentioning him is equivalent to creating a German lit thread and talking about Kafka. Yeah sure, you're technically speaking allowed to mention him, but it's so dull and pointless as to be closer to a shitpost than an actual contribution -- especially when the post in question is no more than a simple picture.
The only reason to talk about Kierkegaard at this point is because he's easily available in translation across the world and so anglofags and others can participate.

Anyone read Kjell Askildsen?
I read a collection of his short stories in spanish, I thought they were pretty good.

Get on it. It's a really fun read and also quick compared to its length.

Homsantuu is the best girl

Ultimate meme book

yea he good. should get the nobel if the swedes can stop being memes for a sec

KALLOCAIN

>anser ikke Kierkegaard som en af de bedste danske forfattere
>anser ikke Kafka for at vaere en af de tre bedste forfattere i det 20. aarhundrede

This is essential. The Boku no Pico of literature.

It's Vihavainen's trademark provocative and playful style but I'm finding it really entertaining even if I don't agree with everything he says.

Not sure if it'll ever get translated but title is "Return of barbarism - As the sun sets over Europe" and it's by a professor in Uni of Helsinki .

Pan is great

MOOMIN
O
O
M
I
N

The final bosses of the Nordic Tundra section.

There's no tundra in the Nordics

GOAT poet of the north.
keep sleeping on it.

Uhm, yes there are? Plenty in fact.
pic related

Fordi han er den eneste verdt å lese

Friend said this is good but is it?

Ibsen is great, did you read Peer Gynt?

Depends on what you're after. Hamsun does a lot of things, and he does all of them very well.

His youthful works (Hunger, Pan, Mysteries, Victoria) burn with frenetic energy and passion. It has some of the most lyrical prose-poetry on nature I have ever encountered (Pan) and some of the greatest phenomenological depictions of the force and insanity of passion and love (Mysteries, Victoria). They all deal with alienation and the anomie of beginning modernity, but Hunger does this most skillfully, with prose that barks with madness. Some people say that most of the beat generation is a shit-tier knockoff of early Hamsun, and I'm inclined to agree. The prose is mad and lyrical throughout.

His lesser known youth works are Shallow Soil and Redaktor Lynge (I do not think there is a translation of Lynge). These aren't quite as good in my opinion - they're quite derivative of Strindberg's Red Room. I think they're still interesting, as they shows the early stages of the reactionary attitude he took towards modernity in his later works and life.

His middle period took a turn towards more societal critique than the madness, anomie, love and passion of the atomized individual. The skillful reader can still discern the deep psychological dynamics of the characters, but it becomes a lot more subtle. I think these works aren't as GOAT-worthy as his youth novels, but the August Trilogy (Wayfarers, August, The Road Leads On) is a notable exception - Hamsun is one of the very few writers who manages to pull of his critique with warm, kind-hearted and genuinely humorous irony, and that really shines through in this trilogy. His humor is never mean-spirited or cynical, but his points can be caustic even in spite of this. Sort of a love-the-sinner-hate-the-sin dynamic that is actually made to work.

Growth of the Soil is considered his best by some, and I can see why. It is a seemingly simple and powerful allegorical tale, that combines his critique of modernity with his lyrical and poetical outlook on nature. I say seemingly simple because it fits almost too well with Heideggerian ecophilosophy - so well in fact, that I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Heidegger was directly inspired by Hamsun.

Good post

I wish posts like this made up more of Veeky Forums.

Svalbard isn't really nordic.

>Jo grundigere de kjede sig selv, desto kraftigere et Adspredelses-Middel frembyde de for disse, ogsaa naar Kjedsommeligheden naaer sit Hoieste, idet de enten (den passive Bestemmelse) doe af Kjedsommelighed, eller (den aktive Bestemmelse) skyde sig af Nysgjerrighed.

Name a danish author with a more tragicomic line than this.

Read all his stories except the very last ones that came out last year or the year before that. Really good

FINALLY

Though she was more than just Moomins.

Ugh, just from that picture you can tell she had a terrible hairline.
Disgusting.

1. Yes it is. What else would it be?
2. Even if it wasn't, still plenty of tundra in north Norway/north Finland.

Old Nordic woman has thin receded hairline: More at 10:00

I read "A Doll's House" and I didn't really understand all the hype about it. I know it was quite controversial for the time, but other than that, not much. It seemed to just be some pro-feminism play?

Go read what Bloom has to say about it.

Bloom?

Harold Bloom

Er filosofi noe å studere her i norden? eller er det en megmeg grad?

A megmeg degree?

I Danmark er det cool nok, medmindre du gor det i Kobenhavn, så får du autisme af kun at lave analytisk filosofi og bliver retarderet af kun at læse sekundærlitteratur.

Bruh, Aarhus er også analytisk crap:(( sucks. For ej at nævne Aalborg og RUC, og 'anvendt', 'projektorienteret' filosofi...

Går du på AU? Mængden af tysk idealisme og Heidegger-, Gadamer- og Cassirerfetishisme er vanvittig min main mand.

Nah, har det fra anden hånd; mine kilder må være visne.

meg is neo-norwegian for me
so a meme degree

I need to reread Kristin Lavransdatter, I remember it being beautiful.

You should try reading Kallocain. It's a dystopian 1984-esque (predates it though) novel with an uniquely Scandinavian flair. It was both depressing and beautiful, at least in the original language.

1. Arctic, I guess. It's culturally or historcally part of Norden(TM) so it wouldn't have any impact on writers like Hamsun and Kierkegaard.
2. Alpine tundra doesn't count, and the rest isn't really real tundra since it thaws in the summer.

*it isn't

August trilogy is great, I wish more of /lit had read it. Possibly my favorite ending line of all literature.

Looks mongol. Great books though

This inspired the film Equilibrium with Christian Bale iirc

I can kind of see that. The control in the novel works through pride and shame rather than suppression though. The biggest similarity is perhaps that people don't exactly suffer, but live only a simulacrum of real human life.

Anyone read Pär Lagerkvist? Thinking of reading the Dvärgen and Bödeln soon.

Don't know if this is the right place, but is there something like the Conservative Revolution of the 30's germany (Spengler, Junger, ...)but Nordic?
More aristocratic peoples if you will, who hate the plebian nature of politics and modernity.

Studerer det på uio nå men er fortsatt litt usikker om jobbmulighetene

Only read the dwarf, it's depressing but good. Always reminded me of the Tartar steppe because the feels you get are similar.

The best author who has ever graced our lands.

Best work?

No, we're plebs up here.