/stack/

Post your recent acquisitions lads.
All of these were from my charity shop. Picked up Coraline on impulse since it's a first edition and might be worth a few quid in the future.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Ice-Anna-Kavan/dp/0143131990
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

stack != recent purchases
stack = what you're currently reading

"You know what they the Bible in France?"
"They don't call it the Bible?"
"They do, but in French it's “La” Bible."

I picked up Coraline because I wanted something less serious. Must say, I'm very disappointed. Somehow the movie was better than the novel. That's something I rarely get to say.

>Stoner
>Catch-22
Both excellent reads that are tragic in different ways.

Mate, just read one and stop posting them over and over again.

Wish I had some new purchases, for some reason Dubliners is a slog and I don't buy more books until I have read all that I have.

Just bought these. I'm just sitting in a Mcdonald's seeking refuge from the heat and reading In Watermelon Sugar. Shit is good, I can't wait to get these home.

I wanted to see this translation so I bought it pretty cheap.
I'd say it's halfway between abhorrent and abysmal in terms of quality judging by the first few pages.
The english version is much more pleasant to read.

That Brautigan collection is God tier. Trout Fishing in America in particular.

Barnes and Noble had 5 dollar classics so it got a little out of hand

nice
Not the greatest if editions but some of those books are really great. I hope you'll enjoy them.

Bad translations for C&P and Don Quixote

I dunno, I cant really be that upset since they were only 5 dollars can I?

Nice haul mate

enjoy

these are the books i'm reading at the moment or about to read. currently finding it really difficult to put down "tender is the night". honestly i think the plot could be about anything, i don't care what happens, his prose is just so gorgeous it's such a pleasure to read.

i've very recently finished "litany of the long sun" and i'm excited to start "epiphany", i'm making myself wait until i've ticked a few things off my to-do list before i start it, as a reward to myself for getting unpleasant stuff done.

i'm going to read "the remains of the day" after i've finished "tender is the night", and the other two books (chekov and "the poetics of space") i'll be dipping in and out of them.

I mean this is still Veeky Forums so some elitism should always be expected.
Just read those books and if you find it hard to get into them just consider that it might be because of the translation.

I got these for about 35 bucks

Smollet's translation is fine though

~$25, considered getting some Stendhal and greek plays too but am starting to run out of space

Garnett is perfectly fine with the revisions

How many books have you read this year buddy?

Which Richard is the best in your opinion? I'm about to read either, so...

so you might as well go 2-3

thats a good Ovid you got there

Reporting back. I've finished In Watermelon Sugar already and it sure was a fuckin' trip.

Historically? Richard II no doubt. As a play, well, I'm not too much of a fan of Richard III's characterization, but other than that they're surprisingly even

Who are you?

I think the 2nd part of I, Claudius is even better, in case you want to check it out

I really like this bookstore

Had a similar response to BN classics on amazon. The Shaws were in my wishlist at $5 each, then I got salty when they jumped to $10, so I snatched them when they dropped back to $5.

>"You know what they the Bible in France?"
>"They don't call it the Bible?"
>"They do, but in French it's “Le Coran"

Ftfy

Read it at the park user. Preferably on the swings.

I hope that Monte Cristo is unabridged.

I've heard Tender Is The Night is better than Gatsby, would you agree? I recommend The Buried Giant by Ishiguro too.

>The Magic Mountain
Nice one, user.

40+, you?

/pol/ is that way

>Read it at the park
You severely overestimate how much people care about what you do in public spaces in this country.
I'd get some angry looks, but nothing more.

>david irving

There is literally no reason to read that, throw it in the trash.

>Hungarian hentai

We're a long way from Texas

At 60 atm.

"You know what they call the Bible in France?"
"What?"
"The Koran with cheese"
[lalalalala intensifies]

It's not hentai. It's "In the miso soup" and I have no idea why the cover is like that when it was released a good then years after EVA.

As long as the translations are fine and the books aren't abridged, I think five dollars for classics is a nice bargain.

We get a little similar thing in the UK with some of the Penguin Classics. Stuff like Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, Jane Eyre, etc is usually priced at £4.99 or £5.99. Always a nice treat to be able to pick up three or four of them without putting a dent in my wallet.

>local shop usually has buy one get one free sales
>The books I want are never included
[Irrational hatred of shops and new books intensifies]

I meant around children.

Good on you.

I know what you meant, but people here don't really give a fuck.
And I'm not ready to enter my Diogenes phase.

>mfw i keep passing up good deals on folio society editions of catch-22 and regret it every time
>mfw franklin library editions sell for extortionate prices
are there any other nice, hardback editions of it out?

>buying books when e-readers exist
disgusting.

t. poorfag

>I've heard Tender Is The Night is better than Gatsby, would you agree? I recommend The Buried Giant by Ishiguro too.

I've heard that too but I haven't read Gatsby. I wanted to read some Fitzgerald but Gatsby didn't appeal. When I mentioned this to a friend he recommended Tender Is The Night, then I heard that Fitzgerald considered Tender Is The Night his best work and that decided it for me.

Thanks for the Ishiguro rec.

>not being physically surrounded by your books at home
Too horrifying to contemplate

I want Kershaw's world war stuff.

Mad stacks here people.

The B&N classics are great if you want to pick up all of Dostoevsky's major novels for cheap, if you don't mind the Garnett translations.

Why so few women authors?

>The B&N classics are great
>He doesn't mind the Garnett translations
Let me stop you right there bucko.

Lay it out for me. What's so bad about Garnett's translations?

P&V for Dostoevsky
Garnett for Tolstoy
I don't get how there are people here who still don't understand this

>I hope that Monte Cristo is unabridged.
It's not. Poster got cucked.

>P&V for Dostoevsky
>P&V

it's a translation

Best week ever.

>reccing p&v literally ever

How much did you pay for Shakespeare?
It's $80 on Amazon.

fuck

It was like $50-60 on amazon maybe last year and I put off buying it

It looks so fucking nice

Nevermind I just checked and it's $55 on amazon you scrub

poetics of space tho

Different edition bro

>Misirlou starts playing

what's a pistachio-thriller?

what is the english version called

In the miso soup
The hungarian title is "Neck deep in the miso" if you care

Oh man I'm stoked to read all of these, but it's gonna be some time before I can make my way through it all with school just around the corner :(
I'm rereading Gravity's Rainbow, and Mythology by Edith Hamilton on my Kindle.

Most excited to read Anna Kavan (Ice, again) and check out Watership Down for a bit of a literary break from things super heavy and super serious. But I know that rabbit tale isn't all light hearted.

Oops forgot my pic

Anna Kavan looks interesting, user! Would Ice be a good start with her? Or try a collection like Asylum Piece instead?

Ice is a great book, and a fine start. It's probably her most well known, but she's hardly known at all really. One of my favorite books.

I'm looking forward to reading Watership Down myself

I forgot to mention what I got recently: Petersburg by Andrei Bely, An Artist of the Floating World by Ishiguro (my first book of his), A Brief History of Seven Killings by James and Fathers and Sons by Turgenev.

I see, I actually hadn't heard of her at all before I saw your posts. I will look for Ice and maybe get a couple more from her, then. Thanks, user!

Penguin's putting out a 50th anniversary edition of Ice, it's most recent publishing in some decades, and may be worth waiting for. I dunno. But the Peter Owen Classic editions are nice too.

Sounds good, I have a few books that I haven't read yet so I'll try to not buy any more until I'm almost done. I'll be paying attention for this one. Thanks for the info man, enjoy your stack

Is that William Blake a hard cover or paper back?

>thiftbooks
online secondhand bookstores are a godsend

Ice looks awesome guys. I think I'll have to read it too.

What will the 50th anniversary edition have that the current one doesn't?

I don't know, I'm curious myself. I think I read it has a new introduction, but that's only slightly interesting.

amazon.com/Ice-Anna-Kavan/dp/0143131990

Hardcover

I'm not too keen on these introductions to classics, they often spoil the plot and sometimes assert an incorrect reading of the text. The intro of the SF Masterworks edition of Fifth Head of Cerberus comes to mind.

bow down

>Labyrinths

Good lad

Local library was selling out old books cheap af, so I bought these 10.

that Pygmalion is a large book for something that is only four plays

Does it contain analytical notes or a long foreword or something?

Also how are these Barnes & Nobles editions? Are they any good or are they like the budget Wordsworth where the translations vary from piss-poor to average because it's all in the public domain?

that's a good haul
>bow down
but not THAT good

Yeah, Watership Down will fuck you up, user. I don't think there'll be much that can prepare you for that emotional rollercoaster - you'll be reminded of every family member and pet you had that passed away.

That shit broke my heart. The film can't even compare to be honest.

why? it's not like you're gonna read any of that

>my shelf is a table

i wish i could read glib-glob

misirlou plays before he says that dumbfuck

dont read the will to power. Nietzsche scrapped the project and his cunt sister salvaged it and turned it into nazi-leaning polemic after he went nuts

jungle boogie is less recognizable