Why can't you buy plain ice cream?

Why can't you buy plain ice cream?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Happybuy-Stainless-Commercial-Recreation-Churches/dp/B01N9LKM2C/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1515893529&sr=1-6&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:5616183011
cloversonoma.com/inventory/cowlifornia-sweet-cream-organic-ice-cream/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

coldstone sells sweat cream ice cream.

sounds like onions

where do you live that you can't

pssst... vanilla isn't plain.

Vanilla?

Not taking about vanilla. Local grocery store stocks a few brands that sell a cream flavor. It is a little surprising to me that this might be an oddity.

No vanilla needed

Nope it's just the custard base that is needed to make ice cream.

I can?
But why would you buy regular cream icecream when you can buy clotted cream icecream

You can and it's shit.
Sweet Cream is the easiest flavor to tell if a brand of Ice Cream is bad or not, which is why low-end brands don't make them (and consequently the Wal-Mart shoppers that buy said low-end brands wonder why they can't find any)
Without any added flavoring all the awful qualities of low-end brands are at the forefront; lack of creaminess, excessively aerated, and that disgusting clinging taste that good ice cream shouldn't have.

If you want Sweet Cream flavor that's any good you have to make it yourself (which is trivially easy) because freshness and simplicity (cream, sugar, salt and ice) are the end-all qualities of Sweet Cream.

>If you want Sweet Cream flavor that's any good you have to make it yourself (which is trivially easy) because freshness and simplicity (cream, sugar, salt and ice) are the end-all qualities of Sweet Cream.
Custard is easy to make, ice cream isn't as easy.

Ice Cream is pretty easy to make my man.
You take cream, sugar and salt and agitate it in a frozen container.
They even make machines that can do it for you.

Explain your process please. Did you buy the specialized machines?

Will safeway have this?

Maybe. I know Safeway carries Clover products (milk and butter), but not sure if they have the ice cream nor this specific flavor.

hmmm so ice cream sweetened with extra lactose
would eat/buy

You take Cream, Sugar and Salt (and flavoring if you want) and mix it into a batter
You pour the batter into an Ice Cream mixer, which is basically a bowl sitting in a pile of ice so that the sides become cold
You stir the batter constantly as it slowly gets colder and thickens into soft ice cream
You then pour it into a container and finish by freezing it for a short while until it has the consistency of Ice Cream

That's more or less the gist of it.
You can buy Ice Cream machines that will automate the stirring process; like anything else they cover the entire range from high-quality marvels of engineering to Chinese-made fire hazards.

Well I asked what YOU did.
i already know how to google.

That's literally what I do though.
I just eyeball my batter recipe, pour it in my Ice Cream machine, which is an old ass 60's manual machine with hand-pedals tied to a whisk, fill the outer layer with ice and then stir it. When it reaches the desired consistency I pour it in a disposable baking tray and put it in my freezer for two hours.

I usually just make Sweet Cream flavored, but if you want flavors you just have to pour it into the batter before mixing.

(You)

>pour it in my Ice Cream machine
So you bought specialized equipment for an easy procedure?
How did you do it before you bought specialized equipment?

He was making a joke because that person said "sweat" instead of "sweet".

I would take my metal mixing bowl, place it in a larger bowl of ice, and then whisk the batter with my spoon and then contemplate why I'm trying to low-tech something they mastered in the 1600's.

>I would take my metal mixing bowl, place it in a larger bowl of ice,
For how long?

Until it has the consistency frozen yogurt or so, or maybe a frosty.
The soft, runny consistency you get when you take a bowl of ice cream and then mix it up with a spoon until it's evenly smoothed out.

>Until it has the consistency frozen yogurt
so a couple minutes?

Don't you have to cook the custard?

No, because I'm not making Frozen Custard, I'm just making Ice Cream
Frozen Custard is just Ice Cream with eggs (or was it egg whites) in it.

As for how long it takes it depends entirely on how much you're making; my ice cream maker tub probably takes about 40 minutes to finish; no idea how long trying to do it in a bowl would take.

And the scrolls? What do the scrolls say about sacrificing the werewolf on the night of the blood moon?!

so it takes 40 minutes of whisking to make ice cream? Wouldn't your arm fall off? haha

what brand machine do you use? asking for a friend haha

Like I said, they sell machines in all shapes and sizes for it.

THIS. Apart from Tillamook and Cold Stone no one seems to carry it. Why is “plain” not a mainstream flavor? It tastes good on its own but it also goes well with anything that goes well with ice cream.

Thanks, just doesn't sound easy without buying specialized stuff.
I think it's because vanilla doesn't really detract from the ice cream since most custards are vanilla base to begin with.

Some old ass manual machine I got from my grandparents.

If you're looking to buy one you should just check online for reviews.

You can where I live. It's delicious.

amazon.com/Happybuy-Stainless-Commercial-Recreation-Churches/dp/B01N9LKM2C/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1515893529&sr=1-6&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:5616183011

this has good reviews.

Even though I would try that because I’m a fatass who loves ice cream, “clotted” is too commonly used to refer to blood clots and that takes all the appeal out of it.

thank god someone understands me
wanna fuck?

>trivially easy
To make ice cream in general with no thought to the outcome days later, yes, it’s “trivially easy”.

To make ice cream at home with a good consistency that won’t be a solid block of ice days later takes more work and/or more ingredients (stabilizers and such) than your post would imply.

I’ve never seen Clover brand at Safeway. Is this hidden in the natural foods section of my grocer’s freezer or something? My local Safeway carries Lucerne. Is Clover a California Safeway brand or something?

What?

There’s also the bag-in-a-bag method.

I have no doubt that attempting to make Ice Cream on a commercial scale is difficult and the need for stabilizers and other additives is also no doubt half the reason most commercial Ice Creams taste terrible.

>9980355
>haha

You messed up, haha!

Man, I don't care if I'm getting memed on, I just want more people to make homemade Ice Cream

Because it's easy and fun, haha
Just buy a maker haha.

They're, like, $40 user.

well thats what plain ice cream would be

that has vanilla in it user.
cloversonoma.com/inventory/cowlifornia-sweet-cream-organic-ice-cream/

Vanilla has too much flavor for me. I mean using enough vanilla to taste like vanilla versus just a smidge to taste like... well, nothing I guess.

As for your question about the ice cream making process, I am having trouble determining who is asking sarcastically versus who is serious but I can answer because I bought an ice cream machine and made some but you don’t need one.

There is the bag-in-a-bag method, a standard, old-fashioned ice cream maker (any sort of manual-churn style) and then there are the electric appliances. I haven’t made it manually, but in an electric ice cream maker with a frozen bowl it takes approximately 20 minutes from liquid to soft-serve consistency. I assume any method would take approximately 20-30 minutes. Those are

Alternatively you can freeze a mixture into cubes and run it through a food processor. But you risk damaging your processor blades by doing that. Although plenty of people have made it that way and it’s been fine.

where can i get one for $40? what brand/name?

>Is Clover a California Safeway brand or something?
No Clover is a separate company, like Kraft or Coca Cola, but much much smaller. Maybe they are small enough not to have distribution to your location. I never thought of them as a purely local company, but seems like they might be.

wait so the plain version of ice cream is sweet cream? i had "milk" flavored ice cream once

Does any one know what happened to that user who wanted to open an ice cream shop 1-2 years ago?

>i had "milk" flavored ice cream once
I'd count that as plain ice cream as well.

why the strange capitalization? German?

I'm gonna go look and see if they have it.
If not I'll go to coldstone.

I got my Cuisinart for I think $60 so you can probably get a Hamilton Beach or something at Target or Target for $40 or something.

Do you mean “ice milk” or do you actually mean a “milk flavor” ice cream? That sounds like it would be Japanese.

No idea what you’re talking about but you have made me curious.

Oh ok, thanks. In the south I loved Homemade Vanilla Bluebell but after moving away and coming back to try it again, it’s got too much overrun, too cloying, and not enough creaminess. Still a great flavor overall though.

True but it’s also the machinery used. I don’t think it’s necessarily some of the stabilizers used that make commercial ice cream taste terrible because there is a local shop that makes regular and vegan ice cream and both are amazing. (The vegan is easily good enough to appease even non-vegans.) They use guar gum and their ice cream is amazing. But I’m willing to also bet that they have an industrial ice cream maker to make it with and a freezer that they set to the exact perfect temperature for firm but not frozen-solid ice cream. Without the fancy equipment the stabilizers become even more important (I forgot to mention Vodka is a common ingredient because it doesn’t freeze so it prevents large crystals from forming). If you minimize stabilizers, sugar, fat then you can still make something tasty but the texture may degrade with every omission/substitution.

Just buy Chocolate ice cream and take the chocolate out
I do it all the time