Is slightly buzzed the proper way to read Pynchon?

Is slightly buzzed the proper way to read Pynchon?

When reading sober I find that my mind starts to wander during some of his longer tangents but when I read while sipping 2-3 beers I find myself hanging on his every word.

Anybody else?

On the other hand, reading Pynchon stoned is very, very difficult.

Was Gravity's Rainbow written on drugs? I remember hearing about that someplace, but I can't remember if it was just speculation or if it was somehow confirmed by Pynch-man or one of his friends or something?

Nah, more rewarding sober.
I don't think reading is a great thing to do when high anyway, but Pynchon is rewarding if you're doing deep reading that while stoned I have difficulty doing.

Tangent -- thoughts on bleeding edge?

Finished recently and enjoyed it

Haven't gotten to it yet. I'm curious to know which Veeky Forums likes better though- Vineland of BE?

They generally seem to be agreed as the two least favorite Pinecones

I've found that it's fairly easy to overdo it with alcohol and end up with the same difficulties as reading high.

But I definitely think there's a sweet spot with alcohol and reading Pynch. I think cigarettes add to the experience too though I've stopped smoking cigarettes altogether recently.

Any thing that brings it focus, I'd say. Coffee is great with any reading, but recently my GR reading with a cup has been VIVID!

Couldn't read GR without a beer in one hand. It honestly makes it a lot more enjoyable since you loosen up and learn to not get hung up on every word and just roll with it

THC - Sativa - 5mg
Coffee - Caffeine - dose as needed.
Amphetamines - Dex - 20 to 30mg
Alcohol - Customers choice - does as needed

I've never read Pynchon.

having read Ulysses while high, i feel confident that the experience can be rewarding and entertaining, spinning off ideas unusual to the typical antbrain many of us are privy to without hacking substances.
i am currently reading GR, or am currently stalling while doing so. I have been doing so sober, and i am certain that some instances are and would be quite stimulating while endowed with the primordial essences.
in the end, it is up to you how you choose to experience things. it is not something for us to decide for you. ultimately, the work was likely created using such elixirs. it is a work to be enjoyed above all else. there are colorful scenes that have captured a type of humor that would be aided by the phantasmagoric state mild entheogens may provide, but with some effort, one can still withdraw from the writing a fulfilling, entertaining, and (i feel) a somewhat disappointing experience overall. i could go into this, but i haven't the wherewithal to defend this position without completing the work.

>Hacking substances
Nice cool.

Read Pynchon sober
Read everything sober desu

It's a poor man's catch 22

>>DUDE I READ SHIT LIKE PYNCHON, JOYCE, DAVID FOSTER WALLACE, ESPEC-YEAH HE'S THE ONE THAT KILLED HIMSELF-ANYWAY, I READ THESE FUCKERS WHILE IM ABSOLUTELY SNOOKERED AND DUDE *HITS BLUNT* I AM LIKE SEEING DIFFERENT WORLDS. WANNA WATCH RICK AND MORTY?
Kill yourself, all of you.

>On the other hand, reading Pynchon stoned is very, very difficult.
I remember reading the part where Slothrop is looking for Tantivy slightly stoned and it felt really "right" somehow; everything just flowed a bit more easily. To be fair, I was coming off of the high, so it probably wouldn't have been as feasible before this.

he was on imipolex g

Sounds like someone hasn't left the house in a while

Nobody speaks like that fatso

It always helps to be on the same drugs as the artist. This is especially true for music, but also valid for literature.

I know Finnegans Wake makes a lot more sense to me when I'm drunk.

>pseuds on Veeky Forums confusing mental retardation with enlightenment

kys

>enlightenment

OH GAWD ENLIGHTEN US WITH YOUR INTELLIGENCE, user WHO JUST CALLED OTHER ANONS PSEUDS